Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2021, 03:44 PM   #1

Figuring mileages

OK Guys, dumb question. When I am planning our travels I search for “XXXXXtown, State to XXXcity, State” to get how far between destinations and of course it takes me to Google maps which is most helpful. Problem is sometimes the route and mileage they give doesn’t match up with when we are actually out there and using our Garmin RV GPS (which is awesome). Is there a free website of maps that would match up better with what our Garmin RV GPS tells us to do (which is of course the route we are going to use)? I do all this planning on a computer and not on my phone so I’m not sure if I would be interested in an app. Would prefer some free mapping website. Is there such a thing or how do ya’ll do it? (BTW I’m NOT new at this-just never stopped to try to figure out a better way).
BillyandKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 04:20 PM   #2

Sometimes I will use the Truck Map app and it doesn't match up with Google either. It is mapping for a big rig and google is not.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:25 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you sure Google Maps is routing you the same way your RV Safe Garmin RV GPS is routing you? Or vice versa? Or is your issue that your actual vehicle mileage is different from either estimate?

I use RV Trip Wizard to do all my trip planning (yearly fee), but it and Garmin which I use in our RV, will at times not agree. But whether the mileage for both is the same or not isn't important, so long I travel a RV Safe route to my destination. Seldom is the delta between the mileage estimates material. I compare each the night before each travel segment, and if there is a significant disparity, I correct the Garmin to take me the way I planned it in RVTW
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:07 AM   #4

Plot your route the way YOU want to go; not the way it wants you to go on Google Maps using waypoints and highlight it on a paper map. Yes, paper! Then enter the beginning & ending on your GPS and begin driving. Keep referring to your paper map as to where you want to turn. When you make the turn your GPS will recalculate.

If you are going a direct route with no alternate stops then just use your GPS for beginning and ending and have faith in it. We don't!

Years ago there was a wonderful mapping program Delorme Street Atlas, where you could do it all leisurely on your computer and then transfer your same route to the Street Atlas GPS. We loved it.... and still use it although you can't buy it anymore.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:26 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you are a Good Sam Member, they have a Trip Planner on their web site that is pretty good and included with your membership. Two big benefits over Google Maps is that you can input your rig's height, and the saved trip can be downloaded to your Garmin. As a bonus, it can list campgrounds along your route and things to do.

Tip: Once downloaded to your Garmin, make sure you open it through the Apps - Trip Planner or the device will recalculate it.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote