RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2020, 10:06 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First trip

2008 Tiffin Allegro 32 BA
Planning on leaving Nashport, Ohio and ending up in Grand Junction, Co late July.
We’ve driven it in a car and took I 70 . Would like to go a more northern route. Thinking I 80 across Nebraska and then Salt Lake City. Then south to Grand Junction. Initially planning on about 7.5 hours and maybe 500 miles a day. Anyone done the trip across I 80 lately. All advice, information and knowledge would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Howie1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2020, 12:25 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie1949 View Post
2008 Tiffin Allegro 32 BA
Planning on leaving Nashport, Ohio and ending up in Grand Junction, Co late July.
We’ve driven it in a car and took I 70 . Would like to go a more northern route. Thinking I 80 across Nebraska and then Salt Lake City. Then south to Grand Junction. Initially planning on about 7.5 hours and maybe 500 miles a day. Anyone done the trip across I 80 lately. All advice, information and knowledge would really be appreciated. Thanks.
I don't have recent input on I80 other than it has amazingly dense truck travel. It will be you and the 18 wheelers. In Wyoming the wind blows all the time and on I80 it is coming out of the northwest most of the time.

Check out this attached map. This is an alternative to the Salt Lake City route and avoids high mountain passes. This route is very doable in your RV and is quite scenic as well. In addition this route avoids a lot of the high wind areas of I80.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Chey...39.0638705!3e0

Check https://wyoroad.info/ and https://cotrip.org/home.htm for current road conditions.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #3

to avoid the chicago area you might consider 70 to 465 around the south side of Indy and then pickup 74 to 80 at the Quad Cities.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #4

I think your time estimates are optimistic. For trip planning we use 50mph overall average which equates to 10 hours for 500 miles. If I know we won't need to make any stops, I can cut an hour off that, but not much more.

I would take 79 across Indiana (skipping the 80/90 toll, which will be about $70 just for Indiana for your RV), then head through Peoria, IL to meet up with 80 in Iowa.

80 through Nebraska can be a bit dull, much like Kansas, but has more populated cities along the route. I think it would be a good alternative to 70.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadude62 View Post
I think your time estimates are optimistic. For trip planning we use 50mph overall average which equates to 10 hours for 500 miles. If I know we won't need to make any stops, I can cut an hour off that, but not much more.
X2. Possibly you've driven big rigs for your living; but if not, doing 500 miles a day in an RV is a lot. For me, it's the max I'd typically attempt in a day, and never on consecutive days, and certainly not in 7.5 hours. I find that driving my RV is great fun, but also taxing. It's nothing like driving your car. So plan accordingly and enjoy the drive. Safe travels.
Mike8253 is online now   Reply With Quote