Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #1

First Trip East Coast - Low Bridges?

Next spring we'll be spending some time along the Atlantic coast and New England for the first time. Not wanting to stay just on the interstates but hear quite a bit about low bridges.

I'm 11' 6" at the AC unit. How much concern should I have? How common are low bridges. I really do want to keep my AC unit. Should I upgrade my GPS to an RV specific unit? Is typical vigilance enough?

All thoughts are appreciated!
DRKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #2

At 11'6" you're much lower than my 13'6". We went from FL to Niagara Falls this past summer and only found low bridges I couldn't go under in NY. Other than some pricey GPS units that provide some low bridge notes, I found using the free Park Advisor app I could add a layer showing low bridges.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Definitely want to be concerned/aware. Using an RV specific GPS helps, you can also double-check your route with the motor carrier road atlas. https://www.amazon.com/McNally-Delux.../dp/0528015729
Old 12-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #4

My 5th wheel is 13'4" and we travel secondary/back roads as much as possible.

During our FT travels we encountered a few low bridges/over passes/railroad trellises

Usually there is roadside signage stating 'Low Clearance' XXX LONG before with an alternate route available.

Couple of times we 'missed' the signage due to it being gone or covered up by overgrowth .....BUT it was quite obvious that we wouldn't fit so we turned around.

Secondary/back roads is a great way to travel/see vs Interstates (I Hate Interstates)
One just needs to pay attention

Motto: When in DOUBT---Turn ABOUT!

And we don't have GPS, Apps, Smart Phones etc---just plan old 'common sense'
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
If you stay on numbered routes, there is less (but not zero) chance of encountering low bridges. Usually there are signs warning low bridge ahead. The problem is that when you see that, it is not always obvious how to detour around them and it can sometimes be too late to avoid the bridge without turning around. I have been in places where I had to travel narrow back streets to detour away from the low bridge. Also. it is possible that you would have to turn around which likely can't be done without unhooking a toad in order to reverse.

All of this can be dealt with. The important thing is don't hit the bridge! The bridges all have height marking on them. Establish a minimum bridge height firmly in your mind, giving it an extra 6 inches for safety.

Having said all this, I have driven extensively in the east and in 14 years have only had an issue a few times, and one of those times was in Montana. The interstate highways will not be a problem for you as they generally have lots of clearance. The lesser roads are usually okay but they do require you to be alert. If you do encounter a low clearance, stop, take your time and think your way out. Do not be concerned about blocking traffic: if you need to do so. do it. Just do what you have to do to prudently turn around or go around the problem area.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKM View Post
Next spring we'll be spending some time along the Atlantic coast and New England for the first time. Not wanting to stay just on the interstates but hear quite a bit about low bridges.

I'm 11' 6" at the AC unit. How much concern should I have? How common are low bridges. I really do want to keep my AC unit. Should I upgrade my GPS to an RV specific unit? Is typical vigilance enough?

All thoughts are appreciated!
East Coaster here - New York throughways and RailRoad underpasses are the only issues out there that I have encountered. (250,000 miles + on the coast)

My rule is keep an EYE open for trucks - if they can, generally you can - especially at 11' 6" - so really not too much to worry about - SO for me the issues were on Long Island - and the Lake's in Upstate NY, those beautiful arched bridges are just too LOW. For the most park they are marked so you can go around.

Hope this is of some help - Like I said at 11' 6" you are safe except for the extreme exception.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:26 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I know the Garden State Parkway NY can be an issue. That has arched bridges, with low heights in the outside lanes. We were OK in the center lanes - but learned you have to STAY there as changing lanes doesn't seem to be something that other drivers seemed to want to let you do....
rmbmrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:27 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the exception of the Garden State Parkway in NJ stay away from anything with Parkway in its name. They generally have very low overpasses.
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:53 AM   #9

Rick-

If you do want to use a GPS to assist you in avoiding these hazards, you may want to investigate the Low Clearances database (link here). Note: I say "assist" because (as near as I can tell), the LC POI (Points of Interest) data will warn you of upcoming hazards but not automatically route you around them.

I have the LC POI data loaded in our Garmin RV760 GPSes, set to 13 feet six inches, one foot greater than our coach height.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:46 AM   #10

At 11'6" you are pretty low to start with. Like stories of bad roads in Alaska low bridges in the East are way over worried about.

You are not going through any covered bridges & low RR bridges are few & very far between. If you are on a road & see semis going the other way, you are more than safe.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:33 AM   #11

The faster you go the lower you get. Also, the slower you go the lower you get. Found this in the Cummins forum.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=USu8vT_tfdw
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #12

I have Garmin RV760 and recommend it. I got rerouted on non interstate roads in upper NY state. First time no matter what intermediate points I posted kept rerouting me. Stopped, looked at Google Earth and found a RR overpass on route that was low clearance. Confirmed problem on Google internet. Took Garmin recommendation. Another reroute in NY state rural areas was to route me around a low weight restricted bridge. Worked well for me.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:57 PM   #13

I have a truckers atlas and believe I can go anywhere the trucks go
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:39 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
X2 on the trucker's atlas. Good book and is cheaper than replacing your GPS.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip, east coast