Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2023, 03:12 PM   #1

Coastal Campers
Florida Overseas Highway

We are planning out our first trip to the FL Keys this July.
Have lived in FL for years but never made it that far south, yet.
Initially, it was just my wife and I going, BUT due to "issues" outside our control we will be enjoying the trip with our 3-yr old granddaughter.
As a result, as everyone knows, little ones can't sit in a car seat for hours on end without getting out and burning some energy. So I anticipate trying to pull over once or twice to stretch the legs and give her some time to burn some energy off.

Day 1 will be from St. Augustine, FL to Miami Everglades RV Resort.
Day 2 will be from Miami to the NAS Key West RV camping area at Sigsby.
From Miami to our final destination are there ANY places you can pull over? I am gearing up for the slow drive. Will have a full tank of Diesel in my '22 F-350, pulling our '22 Alliance 310RL fifth-wheel.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance...Bill
Bhidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2023, 04:55 PM   #2

Many of the causeway have some parking at the ends for the fishing piers. Since the hurricane, many were closed but they are working on them.

Marathon has a large lot at the KMart.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 06:10 PM   #3

Did that - without the child - in a RAM 2500 (gas) towing a 40' TT. A little over 62 ft total length.

Got into Hungry Tarpon Restaurant at the north end of Lower Matecumbe Key. She should love feeding the fish on the pier.

Maybe a break at Bahia Hondo State Park - good sized parking lot near the old bridge. Maybe even drive down the beach area road. Talk to the rangers first.

Haven't been to Sigsbee since 2015, but a nice place to stay.

Enjoy the trip. Too soon she will be 18 or 25 like my grandaughters.

(JOCS 1972-92)
OldBaldFat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:02 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you are planning to stop at the large lot in Marathon, be advised that the KMart is no longer there. Lot is near MM 50. Heading south, the lot will be on the left; turn in just after the McDonald’s. There is a Winn-Dixie grocery store at the north end of the plaza, park farther to the south where KMart used to be and you can walk to McDonald’s if desired or do your grocery shopping before heading farther south to your destination. Easiest way to exit the lot is drive to the south end, where close to the building you will see there is an exit to the side road. Turn R onto that and then there is a traffic signal to make the L onto US1 southbound.
deemeehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 07:53 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhidalgo View Post
We are planning out our first trip to the FL Keys this July.

Day 1 will be from St. Augustine, FL to Miami Everglades RV Resort.
Day 2 will be from Miami to the NAS Key West RV camping area at Sigsby.
From Miami to our final destination are there ANY places you can pull over? I am gearing up for the slow drive. Will have a full tank of Diesel in my '22 F-350, pulling our '22 Alliance 310RL fifth-wheel.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance...Bill
Get fuel up in Marathon area, cheaper than in Key West, even on the base. What area will you be sitting in? If, in the area close to the check-in office, that area is really tight, about 6-8 feet between some sites. If you can get a full hook-up in the overflow area, nice roomy sites.
We did 2 weeks last December on Sigsbee; it was tight on the site.
We have a side patio on our toy hauler, but you can see the rig and our neighbor's rig.

Also, wife just said stop at the Dolphin Research Center on Marathon, it is right past Jolly Rogers RV Park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221206_085919[2531].jpg
Views:	17
Size:	472.8 KB
ID:	392801  
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 10:51 AM   #6

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
Get fuel up in Marathon area, cheaper than in Key West, even on the base. What area will you be sitting in? If, in the area close to the check-in office, that area is really tight, about 6-8 feet between some sites. If you can get a full hook-up in the overflow area, nice roomy sites.
We did 2 weeks last December on Sigsbee; it was tight on the site.
We have a side patio on our toy hauler, but you can see the rig and our neighbor's rig.

Also, wife just said stop at the Dolphin Research Center on Marathon, it is right past Jolly Rogers RV Park.
Thanks for the info. We’ll try to go see the dolphins. I’m sure the granddaughter will enjoy that.

Here is what my reservation says. Not exactly sure where they’ll put us.
Room Type: RV 45 FT FULL HOOKUP SIGSBEE

Will check diesel when we get into Marathon and try to find somehow that will accommodate truck and rig. Hoping to not have to unhook to fill. But will do what we gotta go …

I know the trip will be great. Just planning the logistics is a pain…so far.

Thanks again.
Bhidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 11:01 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhidalgo View Post
Thanks for the info. We’ll try to go see the dolphins. I’m sure the granddaughter will enjoy that.

Here is what my reservation says. Not exactly sure where they’ll put us.
Room Type: RV 45 FT FULL HOOKUP SIGSBEE

Will check diesel when we get into Marathon and try to find somehow that will accommodate truck and rig. Hoping to not have to unhook to fill. But will do what we gotta go …

I know the trip will be great. Just planning the logistics is a pain…so far.

Thanks again.
About a hour or two at the Dolphin Research Center will be great. They do shows and will allow some quest to pat the dolphins and help with the show.
Also in December, they were putting in a Race Track truck stop, though small, across from Home Depot. Don't know if completed yet, but it may be open.

The playground at Sigsbee is on the way to the back campground, about
4 blocks from the front campground. Make sure you have a stroller.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 08:43 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bhidalgo~
A new RaceTrak opened a couple of weeks ago on Marathon and it’s got truck lanes and diesel. Watch for it on the southbound side. Easy in and out, and if you’re an Open Roads cardholder, they’re in the program. There’s also one going in on Big Pine but it’s not open yet.
If you decide to do Dolphin Research, depending on how long you’re staying at Sigsbee, it’s about an hour and fifteen minute drive from KW. You might want to make a day trip of it and take in Sombrero Beach, too. Or book a Dolphin Encounter, the grands will actually get to interact with the dolphins. Check out their website to see the options.
Travel safe and enjoy your stay!
deemeehan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida