RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2021, 08:07 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Florida Sun Pass

I purchased a stick-on Sunpass for the toad while in Florida. Can I keep the pass on the toad while towing? I do not have one on the coach. I have both plates registered on the Sunpass website and am wondering if the pass on the toad will pick up both vehicles.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2021, 08:30 AM   #2

The coach may interfere with the reading of the transponder. Case in point. I have the Uni transponder for from cfx in my motorhome ant the windshield sticky thing in the toad. On a recent trip on a Sunpass road we got charged separately in one direction and the four axle rate in the other, apparently the car transponder did not pick up. The bummer on Sunpass roads is that each extra axle adds the equivalent of a full two axle toll, effectively paying triple the standard toll instead of just double.

As an aside to consider, if you have an EZ Pass you will maybe get double dinged using CFX toll roads(Orlando area). It gets complicated as you can be on the 429 and part of it is cfx and part of it is Sunpass. Other toll roads in Orlando area may or may not be split like this. 528 and 417 are for sure.

I closed my Sunpass account and changed to the now called Uni from cfx toll system as it works in all EZ Pass states as well as everywhere in FLA. It is a portable transponder, costs $15.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:13 AM   #3

Once your plate is registered, you don't even need the pass. Toll by plate will bill your account, without the surcharge.

If they read the RV plate and the toad pass, you may get double billed.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:49 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Once your plate is registered, you don't even need the pass. Toll by plate will bill your account, without the surcharge.

If they read the RV plate and the toad pass, you may get double billed.
That's what I'm afraid of
Old 01-24-2021, 08:00 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Just ditched my SunPass after 25 years for the NC Quick Pass. $7.50 one time charge for all vehicles on the account. The SunPass I was paying $40. a year, one car for the transponder instead of the sticker The NC Quick Pass works on all of the EZPass states as well as the southern states. All I need is what license plates I want on the account. It's all license plate scanning. Works here on the SunPass bridges. I was glad to tell SunPass goodbye.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Just ditched my SunPass after 25 years for the NC Quick Pass. $7.50 one time charge for all vehicles on the account. The SunPass I was paying $40. a year, one car for the transponder instead of the sticker The NC Quick Pass works on all of the EZPass states as well as the southern states. All I need is what license plates I want on the account. It's all license plate scanning. Works here on the SunPass bridges. I was glad to tell SunPass goodbye.
I agree with Chuck, NC quick pass/ ezpass best thing going.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:14 PM   #7

My Uni Pass (formerly EZ Pass Extra) is in the toad. I called them and they set up the MH as a virtual trailer even though it is in front and said to leave the pass in the toad. No problems last year from Florida to Maine and back.
2004 Blue Bird M380 (sold)
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
My Uni Pass (formerly EZ Pass Extra) is in the toad. I called them and they set up the MH as a virtual trailer even though it is in front and said to leave the pass in the toad. No problems last year from Florida to Maine and back.
It cost three times what the NC quick pass cost.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:36 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
It cost three times what the NC quick pass cost.
Florida uni pass A ONE time 20.00 charge for the physical pass and it works in all states east of the Mississippi One pass car or car and MH it works. I was told the NC pass has holes like only working in nc ga and fl .. has that changed?
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Florida uni pass A ONE time 20.00 charge for the physical pass and it works in all states east of the Mississippi One pass car or car and MH it works. I was told the NC pass has holes like only working in nc ga and fl .. has that changed?
The NC quick pass/ezpass works in every state East of the MS River and is $7.50. It’s been that way for at least 4 years that I’ve had mine.
The uni pass is 20.00 plus tax and $10 activation.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:00 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Sun Pass

The 10$ ďactivationĒ is for your first 10$ in tolls replenished by cc as spend it down. Itís also 14.95 +tax But I get your point. I was told 2 years ago the epass xtra worked on more bridges and roads than any other. 7.50 buys a couple beers at least
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:54 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I ended up putting stick on pass in the motorhome windshield and was charged correctly for 4 axles. Not cheap from Orlando to the Keys!
Old 02-22-2021, 11:19 AM   #13

Hmm, I'm new to this whole pass thing as we are from Spokane, WA but on our return trip we are planning on going North from Florida. So what I'm getting from this thread is to purchase a NC Quick pass? Is that right? If so, how do I go about doing that if I'm in Florida? Hopefully it's just an online thing?

So I did go there and started reading it...appears there's a pre-paid vs pay by mail option, which one do you all recommend?

To be clear, we're in FL now, will head up to MA or ME..not sure yet, and then over to Ohio and onto Spokane. On the return trip in October, we most likely will do the south route, however that could change into going east maybe through Colorado...depending on weather. So I just don't know how often we'll be using this on toll roads and which ones and which state(s).

Thanks.
TriMoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Hmm, I'm new to this whole pass thing as we are from Spokane, WA but on our return trip we are planning on going North from Florida. So what I'm getting from this thread is to purchase a NC Quick pass? Is that right? If so, how do I go about doing that if I'm in Florida? Hopefully it's just an online thing?

So I did go there and started reading it...appears there's a pre-paid vs pay by mail option, which one do you all recommend?

To be clear, we're in FL now, will head up to MA or ME..not sure yet, and then over to Ohio and onto Spokane. On the return trip in October, we most likely will do the south route, however that could change into going east maybe through Colorado...depending on weather. So I just don't know how often we'll be using this on toll roads and which ones and which state(s).

Thanks.
So, I just went ahead and ordered a NC Quick Pass transponder and one sticker. Great price and good CS, $7.94 and the $20 for the pre-paid amount. Hopefully it works good.

CS said to put the Transponder in the RV and the sticker on the car.
TriMoot is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida