RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 12:04 PM   #1

Florida to Maine...AND BEYOND!

Hey folks, getting ready to start planning our return trip from Melbourne Beach, FL to Spokane, WA this April and we were thinking of going north up to Massachusetts and maybe further, to Maine or even Nova Scotia.

I have a number of concerns and I did do a search and found some older threads which I've read through but still looking for input as to directions and sites to see. (Weather is a BIG concern and I know we'll just have to play it by ear. If there's a big storm coming we'll just have to sit it out or turn around and head south!)

While we are not completely footloose and fancy free as I still work, I am able to drive a couple hundred miles a day and still get my work done, and then on weekends I'm able to get out and see the sites.

So 1st up is the toll issue, which I've already posted a question on another thread about that, so I'm good there.

But that leads to the question of routes, sites to see & where to stay. Here's the stops we know about so far:

Daytona Beach: This might just be a drive by, meaning, taking the toad (maybe the RV...???) on the beach just to say we've done it.

St Augustine: We've done this before in a car, but I think this time we'd like to stay a night or two and explore, so any input there is appreciated.

Florence, NC to visit a friend. 2 to 3 days.

Washington DC, to see the Smithsonian and perhaps other sites. 2 to 3 days, maybe longer.

Waterbury, CT to visit family. Maybe a week.

Petersham, MA to visit friends. Maybe a week.

After that we'll decide if we want to keep going North or head west to Ohio.

If we head west we'll stop in Milan, OH to visit family, 3 days, maybe longer.

Then Terre Haute, IN to visit family. 2 days.

Then a straight shot to Spokane, WA. Although here's where we'd need to decide to either take the northern route vs less northern route, I-70 vs I-80.

With my gas rig I'm thinking going through Denver and over the mountains might not be a smart route, although MUCH more scenic! But, perhaps by this time my DW might be wanting to push things a bit so we can see the grand baby ASAP!

So yeah, that adds up to about 5 weeks give or take which sounds about right as it took us 4 weeks to get down to Florida this past October.

So any input is appreciated. TIA!
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2021, 08:11 AM   #2

Make sure you go around NY city use 287 to 87. Than *4 over Newburg Bridge. we got stuck going over George Washington bridge in motor home towing and it cost $84 2 years ago, and roads were the worst I every seen, pot hole galore.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfskeet View Post
Make sure you go around NY city use 287 to 87. Than *4 over Newburg Bridge. we got stuck going over George Washington bridge in motor home towing and it cost $84 2 years ago, and roads were the worst I every seen, pot hole galore.
Perfect! Thanks for the input. I'm putting it in my notes.

Any concerns about the weather during that 2nd week or so in or around that area?

I think because we are somewhat anxious to get back to Spokane to see our grandkid we probably won't be taking too many smaller roads, also I'm nervous about low bridges/tunnels. Hopefully no issues on the route you mentioned.

Thanks again!
Old 02-24-2021, 11:10 AM   #4
Commercial Member

if you are going to go thru the rockies, go the route thru cheyenne and laramie. thats a more level route. that will avoid the strain of going I70 over the top of the rockies, and i mean the top. i did it once. that was enough for me.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfskeet View Post
Ah..okay, I see it now (I posted earlier I couldn't see your route, but using RVPARKY it made it clear. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2021, 12:18 PM   #6

St. Augustine, O'steens for shrimp(there is usually a line, but worth it), A1A Aleworks for yummy beers(and good food), Harry's for decent Cajun. Prohibition for the atmosphere and decent food. St. Augustine really deserves it's own week.

Flagler Beach, the cheesy shrimp and grits at the Funky Pelican(ocean side dining).

IF Canada is open take the toad to Meat Cove at the end of Cape Breton Island. Cabot Trail. And by al means, eat lobster. Also in NS, Lunnenberg(sp?)

In NB, Campobello, provincial park nearby for camping.

Camp on the shore on Bay of Fundy in NB.

Don't bring a handgun to Canada.

I'd suggest putting Canada off and then do Newfoundland(that alone needs a month) along with Atlantic Canada and the Gaspe" peninsula. And maybe the 132 along the St Lawrence Seaway.

Savannah, GA.

Instead of the zoo at Daytona you could head up across the St. Johns River from Mayport and drive the beach there on your way through Fernandino Island area, east of Jax.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:21 PM   #7

Well you definitely need to see the North end of Boston for the most authentic italian food you will ever eat. Plus all the historical sights to see.
Manchester NH to Golden Rod for the best fried clams and home made ice cream.
Take a scenic ride on us rt 1 right up the coast. The White Mountain breath taking views. And of course you have to try some New England Steemahs and lobstah.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
St. Augustine, O'steens for shrimp(there is usually a line, but worth it), A1A Aleworks for yummy beers(and good food), Harry's for decent Cajun. Prohibition for the atmosphere and decent food. St. Augustine really deserves it's own week.

Flagler Beach, the cheesy shrimp and grits at the Funky Pelican(ocean side dining).

IF Canada is open take the toad to Meat Cove at the end of Cape Breton Island. Cabot Trail. And by al means, eat lobster. Also in NS, Lunnenberg(sp?)

In NB, Campobello, provincial park nearby for camping.

Camp on the shore on Bay of Fundy in NB.

Don't bring a handgun to Canada.

I'd suggest putting Canada off and then do Newfoundland(that alone needs a month) along with Atlantic Canada and the Gaspe" peninsula. And maybe the 132 along the St Lawrence Seaway.

Savannah, GA.

Instead of the zoo at Daytona you could head up across the St. Johns River from Mayport and drive the beach there on your way through Fernandino Island area, east of Jax.
AWESOME! I love all of this! Thanks so much! We were in St. Augustine a few years ago, basically just drove through, and yes, we kinda figured there's a lot to see and do. Hmm, funny, we're not too far away from it now (2.5 hrs), maybe we should just drive up there for the day and knock some of things out now! LOL!

Thanks again!
Old 02-24-2021, 12:25 PM   #9

287 is almost a loop road and your looking to go north or west from 95 in NJ. You can stay in 95 to 80 and then west on 80 until you see 287.

Then your looking for 87 North in Suffern, NY, to 84 East over the Beacon Newburgh bridge.

If you don't want to go up 87, stay on 287 across the Hudson River on the Tappan Zee, ( Cuomo Bridge ) to 95 North in CT.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
AWESOME! I love all of this! Thanks so much! We were in St. Augustine a few years ago, basically just drove through, and yes, we kinda figured there's a lot to see and do. Hmm, funny, we're not too far away from it now (2.5 hrs), maybe we should just drive up there for the day and knock some of things out now! LOL!

Thanks again!
Just a note on O'steens, they are closed Sunday and Monday. Fort Mantansas south of town is worth a visit as well as the main fort in town. And by all means, get out of your vehicle and do some walking around.

We try to go every year for the nights of lights. According to National Geographic, one of the ten best cities to go for holiday lights. And it is pretty awesome. When we had our class B we could park overnight at one of the municipal parking lots. Cops said it was OK to sleep in them, discreetely.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:38 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ya know, this being 'The Age of Covid!', I'd assure myself there won't be issues at the border going in both directions. If not, then I envy you!
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:48 PM   #12

US State borders ?

No restrictions anywhere.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:04 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Twinboat, I was referring to their mention of Novia Scotia.
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Hey folks, getting ready to start planning our return trip from Melbourne Beach, FL to Spokane, WA this April and we were thinking of going north up to Massachusetts and maybe further, to Maine or even Nova Scotia.
Pretty much all campgrounds/parks in Maine, VT, NH, Canada are going to be closed until sometime mid to late May (plus you'll need to verify the Canadian border opens up in time). Same for parks in upstate NY and most of MA. Plan your schedule accordingly and call ahead to make sure a desired landing spot is open that time of year.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida