Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-07-2021, 05:02 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
RVThere's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida Keys
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
RVThere, thank you so much. We’re planning on taking your route.

Couple of questions:

1. Do I need to be concerned about Richmond? Just take 295?

2. Anything worthwhile to see between Florence SC and Prospect CT?

I’ve been concerned for the last few days and finally thought I had better look at this route, looks pretty straight forward.

Thanks again!
1. Richmond is no problem. You can shoot through on 95 with more vehicles or loop around on 295 for a little longer trip but more space. Unless I'm going through at 2am, I tend to gravitate to 295.

2.
- Waltersboro, SC - nice downtown (tight for a big RV) and Carmine's Trattoria - our favorite restaurant on the trip
- Fayetteville, NC - Airborne Museum
- BBQ Country - Opal, VA. Right after you make the right on Rt. 17. Can fuel up and get great ribs!

Most of my runs up and down the coast are 'cargo' runs so I'm not taking in the sights. I stop for fuel and, sometimes, good food!
__________________
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
'17 Winnebago View 24V, '02 R-Vision B+
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2021, 05:55 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: FL
Posts: 624
We live in South FL and drove to Bar Harbour Maine just prior to Covid hitting. We took the coast as we doubted we would do the Eastern Seaboard again as we prefer mountain life and going out west.

With that said, we took 95 N into Delaware as we wanted to take the Ferry into NJ, mainly for the experience. It was fun. My toed is a full size Ram 2500 diesel 8' bed pickup so I'm pretty long and I did not have to disconnect.

From there we took the Turnpike into NY and over the George Washington Washington.

I would highly recommend not going through NY anywhere near rush hr and if you schedule allows for it, do it on a Sunday.

I'm originally from NY and really hate traffic but the experience in the rv was worth it. And since you are so close to Bar Harbour I cannot recommend it enough. Our second favorite place behind Glacier Montana.

Safe travels
__________________
Lenny and Shawna 2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4366 43' Tag 450 Cummins, Freightliner Custom Chassis Towing a 2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel 8 ft bed with Blue OX. 2014 Harley Ultra Limited with 3 Beagle Hounds
lenny-shawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:14 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
mikeannetta's Avatar




 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Twinsburg OH - Franklin MA - New Milford CT - Bay Shore NY
Posts: 236
I plan all my trips using RVTRIPWIZARD. Put in the height, width, weight into the software and it will show you many route options, show any low bridges to avoid, weight limits... I love to use it to plan for fuel stops, see and POI, and plan for campgrounds stops.
__________________
2016 Winnebago SunStar LX 35F
Ohio, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Long Island NY
Safe Driving and Enjoy the Scenery!!
mikeannetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:41 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 336
Florida to Mass....Scenic vs Safety...Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
........
Take I-95 up to Fredericksburg, VA.
Turn onto Rt. 17 and take that to Paris, VA.
Make a right onto Rt. 50 to I-81.
Take I-81 to I-84 to Prospect, CT.
.......

This is the way. I have spoken.
__________________
2004 Phoenix Cruiser 2551
2014 Winnebago Vista 31KE
Toad 2013 Sonic Turbo LT AT
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:59 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
TriMoot's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Melbourne Beach, FL
Posts: 1,572
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
Garden state parkway in nj overpasses are 13.7 ft in the center and 13 ft on right and left sides. What is your overall height?
Sorry Cherv, I missed this, yes, we're under 12' 6". I think we're only 11' 6", I need to get up there and check it for sure. Thanks!
__________________
___________________
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
1997 Suzuki Sidekick JX, Spokane, WA
TriMoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:14 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
TriMoot's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Melbourne Beach, FL
Posts: 1,572
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
We live in South FL and drove to Bar Harbour Maine just prior to Covid hitting. We took the coast as we doubted we would do the Eastern Seaboard again as we prefer mountain life and going out west.

With that said, we took 95 N into Delaware as we wanted to take the Ferry into NJ, mainly for the experience. It was fun. My toed is a full size Ram 2500 diesel 8' bed pickup so I'm pretty long and I did not have to disconnect.

From there we took the Turnpike into NY and over the George Washington Washington.

I would highly recommend not going through NY anywhere near rush hr and if you schedule allows for it, do it on a Sunday.

I'm originally from NY and really hate traffic but the experience in the rv was worth it. And since you are so close to Bar Harbour I cannot recommend it enough. Our second favorite place behind Glacier Montana.

Safe travels

Thanks Lenny....So......we're 'maybe' rethinking our route and 'maybe' thinking of going to the Outer Banks in NC to see the wild pony's and then staying on the coast and taking your route...somewhat. Again...just spit-balling here....

One thing to keep in mind is I am still working, so we do most of our travel early in the morning and only travel 3 or 4 hours a day.

Here's what I put together, let me know if you think this would work without getting into too much traffic or other issues:

Florence, SC to Nags Head, NC: 4:51 – 319 Miles: I-95 – SR46-E

Nags Head to Pocomoke City, MD: 3:32 – 183 Miles: SR64 – SR13, tolls

Pocomoke City to Wildwood, NJ: 3:27 – 94 Miles (Ferry, cost around $65) Wait and travel time would take most of the travel time for the day.

Wildwood to Edison, NJ: 2:09 – 135 Miles (I’m thinking this is the right thing to do as going an hour more puts us in a bad area with very little stopping choices as all the local Walmart’s and Cracker-barrel’s have NO OVERNIGHT PARKING allowed.)

Otherwise: ??? Not sure what else we could do here.

Edison to Prospect, CT: 2:39 – 157 (Via I-287N and I-84E) **So this will be on the Garden State Prkwy until we get onto 17N, will that be an issue with the RV? I looked on their toll calculator site and it didn't appear to be an issue.

Let me know what you folks think.
Thanks!
__________________
___________________
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
1997 Suzuki Sidekick JX, Spokane, WA
TriMoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
RVThere's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida Keys
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post

Wildwood to Edison, NJ: 2:09 – 135 Miles (I’m thinking this is the right thing to do as going an hour more puts us in a bad area with very little stopping choices as all the local Walmart’s and Cracker-barrel’s have NO OVERNIGHT PARKING allowed.)

Otherwise: ??? Not sure what else we could do here.

Edison to Prospect, CT: 2:39 – 157 (Via I-287N and I-84E) **So this will be on the Garden State Prkwy until we get onto 17N, will that be an issue with the RV? I looked on their toll calculator site and it didn't appear to be an issue.
1. Might be less out of the way to see the wild horses in Assateaugue National Seashore in MD instead of the Outer Banks. You'll do the Bridge/Tunnel (make sure propane is off) and can still take the Ferry.

2. As up until 5 years ago a long time resident of NJ whose sister lived in Edison for 30 years, you do NOT want to stay anywhere near Edison. It's not a bad area, relatively speaking, for NJ, it's just so darn crowded. If you're going that route you might as well put on some more miles and stay at the KOA in Newburgh, NY.

3. I hope you really like those ponies, because in order to see them you'll be going through some non-RV friendly areas. The Garden State Parkway is just notorious for traffic and tight toll booths.

4. Why are you going onto Rt. 17? Rt. 17 is another traffic hot spot with stores on both sides of the highway and parking lot entrances every few feet. It was built before the idea of 'limited access highway' was known! You can stay on the Parkway up to the NYS border and then hop on the Thruway or take I-287.

Be safe!
__________________
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
'17 Winnebago View 24V, '02 R-Vision B+
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
TriMoot's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Melbourne Beach, FL
Posts: 1,572
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
1. Might be less out of the way to see the wild horses in Assateaugue National Seashore in MD instead of the Outer Banks. You'll do the Bridge/Tunnel (make sure propane is off) and can still take the Ferry.



2. As up until 5 years ago a long time resident of NJ whose sister lived in Edison for 30 years, you do NOT want to stay anywhere near Edison. It's not a bad area, relatively speaking, for NJ, it's just so darn crowded. If you're going that route you might as well put on some more miles and stay at the KOA in Newburgh, NY.



3. I hope you really like those ponies, because in order to see them you'll be going through some non-RV friendly areas. The Garden State Parkway is just notorious for traffic and tight toll booths.



4. Why are you going onto Rt. 17? Rt. 17 is another traffic hot spot with stores on both sides of the highway and parking lot entrances every few feet. It was built before the idea of 'limited access highway' was known! You can stay on the Parkway up to the NYS border and then hop on the Thruway or take I-287.



Be safe!


Hmmm, okay...think I’ll abandon this idea. Thanks for the input.

We’re leaving Florence today and I think we’ll stick to I-95 up till Richmond then head west on I-64.

Thanks everyone for the input, very helpful.
__________________
___________________
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
1997 Suzuki Sidekick JX, Spokane, WA
TriMoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
KenZ71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: CT
Posts: 423
Sorry I missed this earlier. Having driven from Greensboro NC to Cromwell CT (about 40 minutes North East of Prospect CT) my vote is:

Plug these into google maps, no trouble with my 40 foot Phaeton:

Greensboro NC
Petro Raphine VA (best diesel price with TSD)
Cabelas Hamburg PA (RV dump)
TA Milldale CT next best Diesel with TSD)

Once I drove 95 through DC - yuck! I'll deal with 220 through Roanoke instead.
__________________
2005 Tiffin Phaeton w/ Roadmaster Falcon 2 Tow Bar
2020 Cherokee Trailhawk w/ Blue Ox Base Plate
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
florida, safety



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for the best route SW Florida to Littleton Mass Llmk100 Navigation, Routes & Roads 7 01-28-2014 05:23 AM
Safety safety safety Wire Wrat Travel Trailer Discussion 7 05-24-2012 07:23 AM
Scenic byways/scenic drives araucano Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 2 04-11-2010 01:37 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.