Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2022, 03:56 PM   #1

Florida to Oregon in two weeks

Not in two weeks (January), but want to travel over the course of two weeks at the end of May.

Yeah, I am terrible at planning (my first time) and will be going from the Tampa Bay area to Grants Pass, Oregon at the end of May.

I've been looking at a couple of GPS and they all suggest going to I-80 and then getting off at Winnemucca, NV and taking Highway 140 nearly the rest of the way.

I have a 39' DP and will be towing a car, is this a decent route, or is there a better way?

I was thinking of just doing interstate all the way to Portland and then I-5 south to Grants Pass. It is a little out of the way, but thinking the interstate might be faster.
Bogie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2022, 06:43 PM   #2

Interstate to Portland (47 hrs 33 minutes)
3300 miles........236 miles every day for 14 days
*6 1/2 days of 500 miles each

140 out of Winnemucca (45 hrs 21 minutes)
3100 miles.......221 miles every day for 14 days
*5 days of 500 miles each

Hope your plan is to stay in Grants Pass for Long time (recover from trip)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:29 PM   #3
YC1

One is assuming one way of course. Fl to Ca in 7 days was a bit grueling. I was the only driver too.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie71 View Post
Not in two weeks (January), but want to travel over the course of two weeks at the end of May.

Yeah, I am terrible at planning (my first time) and will be going from the Tampa Bay area to Grants Pass, Oregon at the end of May.

I've been looking at a couple of GPS and they all suggest going to I-80 and then getting off at Winnemucca, NV and taking Highway 140 nearly the rest of the way.

I have a 39' DP and will be towing a car, is this a decent route, or is there a better way?

I was thinking of just doing interstate all the way to Portland and then I-5 south to Grants Pass. It is a little out of the way, but thinking the interstate might be faster.
IMHO - there are many BETTER WAYS - Look this over - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=15f02...=2&form=S00027

Bing Maps get to Texarkana in two days - then on up to Amarillo, TX - from there across and into Colorado - Buena Vista/Salida/Leadville/RT 24 on up to I-70 where just before Glenwood Springs is a beautiful drive along the Colorado River, Special - to RT 128 into Moab - then on North to Grants Pass.

Sure would make the trip more fun especially spending almost a week in Colorado and Utah seeing the Sights

A suggestion would be to leave on Friday and just get maybe 4 hours in and extend the trip to 16.5 days? (1/2 Friday and then three weekends with 10 weekdays - 16.5) just makes the trip a little easier when you add a few days to the mix.

I just threw Salida/Buena Vista and Leadville in because it's the Heart of Colorado - then the ride along the Colorado River on RT 128 - you will not regret - Drive north to Grants pass will be a breeze. Note here there are many other Routes through Colorado that will also work you just need to ask.

Just a different option than most would take - and we love.

Hope this is of some help,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:25 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Take I-80 to Reno then 395 north to Lakeview, OR, then across to Grants pass, or cut off 395 and jump over to I-5 then north to Grants Pass.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick1142 View Post
Take I-80 to Reno then 395 north to Lakeview, OR, then across to Grants pass, or cut off 395 and jump over to I-5 then north to Grants Pass.
ps....fuel up BEFORE you get to California!
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:23 PM   #7
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
140 from Winnemuccaca to Lakeview is nothing but a tumbleweeds, and no fuel stops, but there will be plenty of bugs to keep you company. The road is decent, there is one downgrade to mention, Doherty Slide about 25 miles from the town of Adel.

From Klamath Falls to White City the road will be rougher over the pass
( Lake-of-the Woods ) but totally doable. Fair amount of trucks use the route.

Busskipper has already weighed in and twogypsies likely will. They are the resident tour guides.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:13 AM   #8

Thanks! Yes, we are staying in Oregon for 3 months before heading back down to warmer states for the Winter.

My main worry is mountain driving, which will be a fun new experience to me. Being a lifetime Illinois person, I've driven to Florida and South Carolina a few times, but wouldn't consider any of that "mountain" driving.

The I-80, 395, Scenic 140 route is another one that came up as Dick1142 mentioned.

Scenic is a plus, but for this trip mostly just looking for efficiency and not flying off the side of a mountain... or getting stuck in a hairpin turn somewhere.

Once I have the basic route, I will probably then plan out stays of a night or two just to stretch the trip out slightly and ease the driving on myself.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #9

Get yourself the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers'. It was always our bible before planning a trip. We loved mountain roads and never found one we couldn't handle with the RV. Don't avoid them. That's where the beauty and leisurely driving is!! Busskipper, above, gave some very nice places in Colorado.

Two weeks is a very short time for this trip. Can you add more time? Drive shorter days and enjoy the areas.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks! Yes, we are staying in Oregon for 3 months before heading back down to warmer states for the Winter.

My main worry is mountain driving, which will be a fun new experience to me. Being a lifetime Illinois person, I've driven to Florida and South Carolina a few times, but wouldn't consider any of that "mountain" driving.

The I-80, 395, Scenic 140 route is another one that came up as Dick1142 mentioned.

Scenic is a plus, but for this trip mostly just looking for efficiency and not flying off the side of a mountain... or getting stuck in a hairpin turn somewhere.

Once I have the basic route, I will probably then plan out stays of a night or two just to stretch the trip out slightly and ease the driving on myself.
Nice route Busskipper. If he wants a little flatter but scenic route he could go through Santa Fe, Chama, Pagosa Springs, Durango, Cortez, and then up to Moab. Easy peasy for a motorhome with a toad.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick1142 View Post
I agree with this, much better drive. Eastern Oregon isn't a very fun a scenic drive
Old 01-19-2022, 03:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Two weeks is a very short time for this trip. Can you add more time? Drive shorter days and enjoy the areas.
Unfortunately I shot myself in the foot with this trip. I am still working so the trip across country will be using vacation days, so I want to make it as short as possible so I can enjoy the vacation days. This is my first go at full-time route planning and I am struggling a bit. I am a huge planner so I suspect that is really going to make things more difficult for me. Had I been thinking, when we leave Illinois for good in March I should have just headed Southwest. I don't know what possessed me to go to Florida first. I think it must have been one of those -30 windchill days and thinking warm thoughts.

The I-80 to Reno, then 395 to Oregon route and then across looks pretty solid so far. I had no idea the West was so big.

One question about I-80 - in Nebraska, RVTripwizard says to cut from I-29 along State Route 2 over to I-80 which in theory looks like it will save some time rather than going all the way to Omaha to catch I-80 and then back down. Alternatively I might go up Illinois to I-80 there and visit family for a day.

Mapping out KOA's along the way (I'd rather find other options but it is a good guide point), it looks like I can do it in about 11 days with only one or two really long days and the rest clocking in at 300 miles or less per day.

It's coming together. I am just hoping that May is early enough in the year that all the westward routes and campgrounds aren't completely full.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:47 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Florida to Oregon in two weeks

As long as you aren’t staying near a large city or attraction you’ll have no problems booking spots IMO. Freeway parks in the middle of nowhere , aren’t the parks that are full. Destination spots are. Last year I only booked weekends and even then a day or two before.
80 to Reno and up are great choice for “easy roads” I’m near orlando and from Portland. My usual quick run is the southern route 10,40 .. and up through Nevada Reno etc to get to family in Roseburg. But I’ve done 80 also .. a lot … so I prefer staying lower.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:27 PM   #14

Rt. 2 is an easy and shorter route from Nebraska city to Lincoln. We use it once a year.

And, Lincoln has a nice municipal campground https://campaway.com/

Quote:
.... One question about I-80 - in Nebraska, RVTripwizard says to cut from I-29 along State Route 2 over to I-80 which in theory looks like it will save some time rather than going all the way to Omaha to catch I-80 and then back down.....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida