RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2021, 12:05 PM   #1

Florida to Utah

We are full timers, currently in the Homosassa area of Florida… about 1 ˝ hrs. north of Tampa on the Gulf. Our plans last year were to head west… but Covid changed all that. We are planning to do that this year starting around April.

One thing I’d like to do is visit the National WWII museum in New Orleans. Any suggestions on where to stay in a big rig in or near the city? After that we want to head to Utah to do the 5 national parks there… and then we may head north and west to the Pacific NW.

What are your ‘Must See’ destinations along a route like this? Any specific roads we should take / avoid?

Thanks for your help in our planning.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2021, 01:22 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
The route you most likely will take is going to be I-10. In Las Cruces I-25 up to Albuquerque. As we love Santa Fe that is a worthwhile stop you can stay on I-25. West on I-40 Meteor Crater is fascinating and close to the Interstate. In Flagstaff Hwy.89 then you need to decide whether you want to go to Moab, for Arches and Canyonland, or go to Zion, Bryce, and Capitol Reef first. Those roads are good for MHs there are even bump outs on the roads to allow faster traffic to pass you.

If you can tell us more about what you would like to see let us know and you will get a lot of suggestions.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://www.fqrv.com/

We've stayed at the French Quarter RV park about 6 times. Very nice but a bit of road noise sometimes.

Get a Muffuletta at Central Grocery https://centralgrocery.com/

And get some Beignets at https://www.cafebeignet.com/
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:31 PM   #4

Thanks Arch. I've read some pretty good things about French Quarter RV resort. I'll see if they have availability for when I am going there.

Thanks TonyDi. I'll plug that into RV Trip Wizard and see what comes up.

To answer your question about what we like to do: Big into site seeing. Don't want to miss special places if we are passing close by. I'm looking at maps and travel guides and there are just so many things to see... both on the way out... and while we are there. I know we can't see everything in one trip... but we want to see the highlights.

Not sure if we want to do I-10 again... we did that trip in 2016... and enjoyed it... but thinking about taking a different route this time.

Looking at maybe heading up to I-40 after New Orleans. Maybe hit Hot Springs and Little Rock before heading west.

We really enjoyed our trip across Rt 2 from Glacier to Michigan a few years ago. I don't see any similar roads across the south west. Are there any favorites we should look for? Or, because of the distances involved, should we just try and stick to interstates?
Old 01-13-2021, 04:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
WWII museum is great. Walk through their hotel across the street. I 10 has construction all across Texas. I go I 10 to I 49 to I 20 to US 80 In Terrell, Tx to 635 to I 35E to US 380 to Us 287 to I 40 to US 491 to US 191. On 491 Cortez, Co is a good stop for Mesa Verde National Park. We were in Utah for a month in Sept. and Oct. Arches, Bryce and Zion were very crowded. Arches closed the entrance around 9am and reopened as crowds permitted. Bryce did not have buses. Zion required tickets for buses. Available on line. Canyonlands was crowded on the top. If you have off road capability the White Rim Road is fun. We missed Capital Reef this trip but it has some good trails. Enjoy your trip. Utah is my favorite state.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:36 PM   #6

Ivykrewe, Thanks for all the driving info. I'm sure I'll need that going out in April. And I'm sure it will be crowded at all the parks. And thanks for Mesa Verde park info. I was looking at stopping there first.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:51 PM   #7

New Orleans: We've stayed at Fountainbleau State Park with our 40' motorhome at the Causeway. We didn't want to bring the motorhome into the city. We drove the Jeep into town. It was a pleasant drive. There are a few state parks near the city, St. Bernard, Bayou Segnette, Fairview Riverside, Fountainbleau.

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/re...na/new-orleans

From there you could drive the Natchez Trace and up to Hot Springs, Arkansas and that area. Then you could get on I-40 across Oklahoma, Amarillo, TX (Palo Duro State Park is unique), Cadilac Ranch.

Are you planning on Grand Canyon, AZ. That would be off I-40. If not, you could explore the Santa Fe, New Mexico area - Kasha-Katuwe (Tent Rocks) Nat'l Monument - Cochiti Corp of Engineer park is nice.

Santa Fe Skies RV is nice for touring Santa Fe. In the area is Los Alamos, Bradbury Science Museum, Bandelier Nat'l Monument, a day trip up to Taos is easy from Santa Fe.

Take 84 north out of Santa Fe to Pagosa Springs, CO (awesome hot springs pools of varying temps for soaking a couple hours - bring a small cooler for drinks, etc.) and west on 160 to Durango. Take the train up to Silverton and return via the bus otherwise it's a very long day. Or you could just drive your car up to Silverton. Don't miss it!! A stop at Cortez for Mesa Verde Nat'l Park. Now choices: 1) from Cortez take 491 to 191 north to Arches/Canyonlands Nat'l Parks (Dead Horse Point State Park in Canyonlands is gorgeous & east drive to Arches). Take the Colorado River evening boat cruise - light show, dinner. If hikers, Fiery Furnace ranger-led hike and Delicate Arch hike are must-dos. or 2) from Cortez take 160 west to AZ163 north to Monument Valley then 163 north to 191 to Arches NP.

From Arches on 191 go to I-70 west to 24 to Torrey, Utah for Capitol Reef Nat'l Park. Then Hwy 12 to Bryce Nat'l Park.

From Bryce take Hwy 12 west to 89 north to 20 west to I-15 south to Hwy 9 to Hurricane and Hwy 9 east to Zion Nat'l Park. (This avoids the tunnels into Zion if you'd take 89 south).

Hwy 9 west to UT59 south which becomes AZ389 into Fredonia, AZ. Nearby in Kanab, UT is Best Friends Animal Sanctuary which is a must. Sign up for tour beforehand. It's in a gorgeous setting and the no kill facilities for all animals is amazing.

From Kanab you could go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon or just take 89 east to Page, AZ for Glen Canyon Nat'l Rec Area. Take a boat tour to Rainbow Bridge on the lake. Take the Dam tour.

Then 89 south into Flagstaff at I-40 again.

Sounds like a great trip. They're all favorites of ours. Hope you have lots of time!

Remember to check each national park's web site for all the information you'll need on the parks - special alerts, road issues, things to do, map, etc.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:29 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
fwiw.... we've been back and forth a bunch of times between Utah & FL. We prefer to take I-40. And we always stop and get a steak in Amarillo at the Texas Steak house.

We took I-49 from Shreveport on I-20 to Texarkana and then west on 82 to Wichita Falls then 287 to Amarillo. I-49 is awful as is 82. It isn't a way I'd go again. I think I'd just go through Dallas and that traffic and get 287 from there to Wichita Falls.

When we get to Aburquerque we head up US550 toward Farmingham. Form there it depends on where you are going as to which way to go next.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:11 PM   #9

twogypsies and traveldawg... thanks for the road directions and info on where to stop. We are starting to plan this trip out on rvtripwizard and this info will surely help.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraman View Post
We are full timers, currently in the Homosassa area of Florida… about 1 ˝ hrs. north of Tampa on the Gulf. Our plans last year were to head west… but Covid changed all that. We are planning to do that this year starting around April.

One thing I’d like to do is visit the National WWII museum in New Orleans. Any suggestions on where to stay in a big rig in or near the city? After that we want to head to Utah to do the 5 national parks there… and then we may head north and west to the Pacific NW.

What are your ‘Must See’ destinations along a route like this? Any specific roads we should take / avoid?

Thanks for your help in our planning.
This is truly JMHO, I seriously doubt that you will find that it is Covid safe by April - Might want to rethink visits with Crowds until Late, if even then, this Summer.

On a southerly route to Utah - Couple things come to Mind - I-10 - is not for Me - I-40 through Oklahoma is not for Me - Texas is a Big State - We usually get to Texarkana then to Paris before heading to Amarillo - just like the roads and avoids the big cities - and at some point you will get to the Rockies and need to get over them.

Canyon de Chelly has always been a place we Love - Monument Valley and Goose Necks along with Mexican Hat will be worth the effort - Page and the North Rim are often Missed - after Goosenecks SP it would be Good to Visit Horseshoe that is just south of Page, and Lake Powell - Slot Canyons are popular, but do some research to be sure the ones you choose are the ones you will enjoy, both crowds and $$$.

Zion is Crowded and once the weather breaks just too Crowded - BUT - few go to the northern section, Kolob Canyon, again if a hiker is well worth the effort and is generally not as big a deal as it is out of the way and requires you to Hike. - JMHO. -

Bryce is Beautiful - is a Hiker's paradise - while in the area, if Hiking is in your DNA be sure to catch Kodachrome and Escalante, they along with Goblins State Park are often missed - then on to Capital Reef - from there over to Moab - check Moab as to time of year as there are many special events that are scheduled.

Look here for more info on Moab - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29448394.cfm and the area around - RT 128 is a MUST!

I'll include Stan's photo album as a Source to help decide where to go out West - well organized and makes it easy to see when and where you may want to go - https://www.pbase.com/sparker1/root%26view=tree

I'm sure I forgot and missed a lot but that's the broad stroke of what just jumps out at me.

We have enjoyed Utah in the winter often so if you were to head out earlier I'm sure you would still enjoy it - Gets Hot and crowded once the weather breaks so while cool early is still Fun. -

Best of Luck,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mexican hat.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	314521  
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:58 PM   #11

If you are going to stop to see the museum in New Orleans then you need to stop and see the Museum of The Pacific War in Fredericksburg Texas. It is at Adm. Nimitz's home. We went there in Jan 2020 when we were at Medina Lakes (Thousand Trails park) in Lakehills. There are some campgrounds right down the road from the museum in town.
Take your time and do 2 days, the tickets are good for 2 days so no extra cost. Make sure you go to the gift shop, some great books in there for sale.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:53 AM   #12

Busskipper, thanks for the additional sites to see while in the area. And the link to the photos! That is a very well organized photo album... much better than I've ever done.

Hamm2018. Thanks for the note about the War of the Pacific museum. I think I had heard about that once... but hadn't made a note of it. Will do so now and get to it... either on this trip or another one.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraman View Post
Busskipper, thanks for the additional sites to see while in the area. And the link to the photos! That is a very well organized photo album... much better than I've ever done.

Hamm2018. Thanks for the note about the War of the Pacific museum. I think I had heard about that once... but hadn't made a note of it. Will do so now and get to it... either on this trip or another one.
Glad I could Contribute - Stan has the Best/most organized images I've ever located - two other Fellow RV'ers - are ProfDan - https://lookmomwerecamping.blogspot.com/ - more about the trip, locations but a Great resource for good Images in Great places. -

and

Jon Vermile - from Oswego, NY - https://www.lakeshoreimages.com/ - Jon has many impressive images also -

As I love looking at Images - hard to beat the Organization Stan has on his site! Just makes finding the Image easy and also helps deciding where you may want to Go, It's my Go to site when I need to just find a spot.

Dan and Jon have impressive images just harder to Find Specific shots ......

As you are leaving early in he Spring, before others (outside of Florida) may not have been able to get the Covid shots, I would continue to avoid Crowds and Confined spaces, JMHO.

Route across the Mid USA we enjoyed, RT 60 and Joplin, Poplar Bluff .... areas in Missouri - Roads are in a Word, the Best in the Country (More than a word - but true)

April and May are Prime Time for Utah - Don't miss Dino NM and Flaming Gorge if in the areas - State parks in Utah are some of the Best.

So Much to See - never Enough Time!

Share some images as you make this trip - think we would all enjoy. -

- -
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:46 PM   #14
jrs

Highly recommend taking Route 279 (just north of Moab) then Route 142 to Shafer Trail up into Canyonlands Nat Park. Google and YouTube Shafer Trail prior to doing it (so you're not surprised).
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, utah