RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2021, 05:46 PM   #1

Florida Tolls

We are planning a motorhome/toad trip from the New Orleans area to Key West and are inquiring if the Florida Turnpike and associated toll roads there have the "toll by license plate" function. We plan on a leisurely 10-day trip down but plan on making a three-day interval on the return and would like to run the turnpikes. We have been looking at the SunPass/FL Turnpike websites, but still cannot fully determine if we can just drive through and be billed later from our tag(s) like in Pensacola and other places.
jimnlo1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2021, 06:28 PM   #2

E-ZPass and Sun Pass are your key words and Google is your friend. We have the E-ZPass as it appears to have more relationships with other states and uses the money on deposit type of billing.
I hit a turnpike somewhere that used the plate photo ID and then mailed a bill. It was crazy in that it was so long arriving I forgot I had travelled the road, and the charge made no sense; it was less than a dollar and came with a return envelope. How did they make any money on that deal...?

Also check out "Changing Lanes" on U-Tube; they did a video on a new(er) multi-state pass that is gaining some favor... Good luck...!
Firedog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:52 PM   #3

Any Florida toll that does not have cash lanes will have Toll By Plate.

Toll by plate costs you the toll + a $2.50 surcharge.

Sun pass can be used at every Florida toll.

You can*purchase a SunPass*online for $19.99. They're also available at CVS Pharmacies, Publix Supermarkets, AAA Auto Club South, Navarro Discount Pharmacy, Sedano's Markets, Walgreen's, Amscot, and even in nifty vending machines dotted along the Florida Turnpike.

8 tolls by plate is the break even point.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:26 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We don't go to FL every year, but the convenience, auto pay, no stopping and reduced rates on our 2 RVs, we like and works when we do go.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:36 PM   #5

We go from New Braunfels, TX to WDW (Ft Wilderness) at least twice a year and don’t use Sunpass. Just go through the Sunpass lanes and the will mail you the bill. Yes there is an up charge but the bill takes about a m9nth to process.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-19-2021, 05:03 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Any Florida toll that does not have cash lanes will have Toll By Plate.

Toll by plate costs you the toll + a $2.50 surcharge.

Sun pass can be used at every Florida toll.

You can*purchase a SunPass*online for $19.99. They're also available at CVS Pharmacies, Publix Supermarkets, AAA Auto Club South, Navarro Discount Pharmacy, Sedano's Markets, Walgreen's, Amscot, and even in nifty vending machines dotted along the Florida Turnpike.

8 tolls by plate is the break even point.
Appreciate this info - thanks for posting!

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:47 AM   #7

I recently closed my SunPass account and set up an account with CFX tollway system. The Uni transponder works everywhere in FLA and all Easy Pass tolls east of the Mississippi River. No monthly charge, $14.99 transponder fee.

https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass/get-e-pass/

No affiliation. GA and NC will also work everywhere as above, I believe.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:40 AM   #8
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
I recently closed my SunPass account and set up an account with CFX tollway system. The Uni transponder works everywhere in FLA and all Easy Pass tolls east of the Mississippi River. No monthly charge, $14.99 transponder fee.

https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass/get-e-pass/

No affiliation. GA and NC will also work everywhere as above, I believe.
That's what I have, actually the predecessor to the Uni which is a lot larger, the E-Pass Xtra. It works on all E-Z-Pass roads where we live and also on others, some 18 states. Our tolls in Florida have always worked with it. https://www.cfxway.com/uni/

Ray
Old 01-19-2021, 10:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Tolls

I’ll add my agreement Florida’s CFX E pass xtra which is now renamed e pass uni is the way to go. It covers all tolls east of the Mississippi and of course all of Florida buy the transponder and maintain a min bal, I have 20 because I use it a lot. I think $10 is the min. Mine refills automatically if I go over via credit card. Never an issue.
I turned in my old sun pass as it only worked a couple places outside Florida
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:12 PM   #10

Thanks for the responses. Looks like the Uni may be the way to go. Another question: What if we have a 4-axle RV/TOAD combo, drop the TOAD at the campground and continue to drive the toll roads in the TOAD? Can you move an RV 4-axle transponder to the TOAD and then change it to 2 axles online? Or should you get two transponders and set them up for 2 axles each? Thanks.
jimnlo1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:16 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Another vote for E-Pass Extra. We got rid of our Sunpasses and our EZ Pass.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:22 PM   #12

Looks like E-Pass Xtra is deprecated, replaced with "Uni" which does the same thing. (?)

Update: June 2020 | E-PASS Xtra is no longer available for purchase. Uni, initially launched as E-PASS Xtra, offers all the same benefits and features with newer, future-ready toll technologies. E-PASS Xtra Customers: Your E-PASS Xtra will continue to work throughout 18 states and be fully supported as part of the E-PASS family of products.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:38 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnlo1949 View Post
Thanks for the responses. Looks like the Uni may be the way to go. Another question: What if we have a 4-axle RV/TOAD combo, drop the TOAD at the campground and continue to drive the toll roads in the TOAD? Can you move an RV 4-axle transponder to the TOAD and then change it to 2 axles online? Or should you get two transponders and set them up for 2 axles each? Thanks.

I don’t know if your “supposed” to or not but it’s worked for us. I register the transponder as in the car. On move days I put in the motorhome window. Move it back to the car for the rest of the time The system automatically gets the axles right somehow.
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:46 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Get the sun pass. Ezpass only works on one toll Rd in fl. Sun works on them all. You get a discount with sun pass it might pay for itself in a week.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida