Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #1

Florida Trip

We live in the Mother Lode of California, east of Sacramento. We want to go to Florida this year with our 5th wheel, but I'm not sure when the best time of the year to go is, we are thinking about the end of Sept into Oct and Nov. We are retired now so we are open somewhat to time and how long.
If anyone has any ideas as to which way or time I would love to hear from you.

JDHDKID
JDHDKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
SEPT,OCT,NOV are smack dab in the middle of Hurricane Season . Florida is great during the end of winter early spring.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #3

Actually, the likelihood of hurricanes after Sept are greatly reduced, as Aug and Sept are the most active months. We are also retired and have always planned our trips to FL for October, after kids are back in school. The weather is usually quite pleasant. Late winter and early spring gets busy with spring breaks. If you are doing Disney, Oct is one of their slow times (slow is a relative term here) and the rates at Fort Wilderness are lower. Being that you are from CA, you also have to consider weather along your route. There can be some nasty early winter storms even in Oct and Nov in areas that you may be traveling through. Another thing to keep in mind.
free2rv4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi JDHDKID,
Some of your decision depends on where in Florida you will stay. Florida is a very long state. From Jacksonville to Key West is about 520 miles. From Pensacola to Key West is about 840 miles. The weather is very different as one travels through the state. It is just like California (i.e., Los Angles vs San Francisco weather). High potential hurricane season for the Gulf side of Florida comes in two parts. June/July and October/November. The high potential on the Atlantic side is August/September. Because Florida offers high humidity, at no additional cost, I'd not arrive in north Florida until October. Then I'd work my way south through Florida seeing what interests me. While you may tour Florida with out too many advance reservations, January through March is a time where advance reservations are a must, if you plan on staying in one place for any length of time.

Since your home base is in CA, consider making your Florida visit for an entire winter. It's a long way to get here. You might as well see all you want to see and some things you discovered you want to see after being here a while. In the winter, from West Palm south is usually shorts and bare feet weather. Central Florida is long pants and a sweater. North Florida is the heat on every night and jackets during the day.

If you'd like to have some suggestions on what to see, post here or PM me. You know all the "name" sights. I'd provide some out of the way places you might enjoy.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
Hi JDHDKID;

While it's true enough that Florida is a great spot during the winter, (I'm sitting with doors and windows wide open at the moment, thinking about moving outside), there is one thing to bear in mind.

Winter is also our busy season, and if you are going to cruise down south, be aware of where you want to stay, as the CG's book up fast. If you were to roll in around now, I suspect you would have extreme difficulty find a site, particularly in a reputable spot.

Having said that, with a bit of planning, you will have a blast. Enjoy, and we look forward to seeing you!
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida