RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2020, 10:06 AM   #1

Florida Turnpike Diesel

Is fuel available from truck pumps on the southern end at Snapper Plazza

32hotrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2020, 11:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32hotrod View Post
Is fuel available from truck pumps on the southern end at Snapper Plazza
According to the TPK info page, Yes, they sell Diesel.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:23 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I drive back and forth from the FL Keys to NJ more times a year than I want so I'm intimately familiar with all the FL Turnpike fuel stops especially Snapper Creek which is the last fuel stop on the Turnpike.

Snapper Creek has a sort of tight fuel stop for trucks. When entering the truck area traveling southbound, you have to make a hard left to get to the fuel islands. Once at the fuel islands, you have to walk across pretty much the whole car fuel area to go to the store and have them turn the pump on for you and pre-pay your estimated amount of fuel. Then you walk back to begin fueling. ONLY diesel at these pumps.

If it's early in the morning or very late at night, I'll use the car lanes where you can pull to the outside-most island and fill up using your card right at the pump for diesel. As I've had my card compromised at this stop previously, I prefer filling up there. I can even get my 40 footer while towing if it's not crowded.

Like all FL turnpike fuel stops, getting back onto the TP is a near death experience as you're forced to jump into the fast lane with cars going 80-90 MPH as your RV chugs along at a snail's pace.

Snapper Creek does have the BEST overnight spot in a empty parking lot as soon as you pull off the southbound side before you get to the police HQ and the fuel plaza. I've stayed there many times with no issues.

Safe travels!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:20 PM   #4

RVthere thanks for the info. Is West Palm any better
32hotrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32hotrod View Post
RVthere thanks for the info. Is West Palm any better
West Palm involves an even longer walk to the store to turn on the pump. You can weave your way to the outside-most car island that has diesel but that plaza is usually way more crowded than Snapper Creek because it's getting all the traffic from north of Miami. Also the car islands are shared with both North and southbound traffic.

When I'm traveling south, I stop at FJ in Ft. Pierce where I transition from 95 to the Turnpike and then Snapper Creek before getting to my house in the Keys.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, florida