Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #1

Florida turnpike/SR 821S

I used a mapping website to map our our route from Indiana to Key West, it routes me onto the Florida Turnpike with a foot-note stating (electronic toll collection only). Since I do not, nor will I have a FL toll road pass, what are my options?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tolls on the turnpike are Sunpass or "Toll by mail". Just drive through the toll bridges and you will receive a bill at your registered address. You'll pay about 25% more than if you had a pass. For one trip that will probably be cheaper.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Pay the Troll

I really hate tolls, but I live in a Florida and toll hi ways are a fact of life. I have changed my use of toll hi ways when diesel hit $4.00/ gal. The toll hi ways are usually much better and much more direct to where I want to go. The are ideally suited for RVs. I now shrug it off and take the toll road when needed.

On a second detail a lot of the tollways use cash booths or in Florida we buy a toll transponder with a cash ammount preloaded called Sunpass. Some of the tollways (like around Miami) are "Toll by Plate" and you simply drive down them and they mail you a bill based on your home state DMV address.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:14 AM   #4

Take I-75 and pay only the toll across the Everglades on Alligator Alley...or take US-41 across...or take I-10 to Jacksonville and then I-95 south and it drops you onto US-1 just south of downtown Miami.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #5

Tolls

Electronic collection only is only mandatory at the smaller exit ramps. Going to KW you wont be using them. You can pay cash at the main toll areas..where not available toll by license plate is available.
So, you got no worries..use the turnpike cause its a bunch easier...paying the tolls is expensive but not a problem.
bandmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Tolls on the turnpike are Sunpass or "Toll by mail". Just drive through the toll bridges and you will receive a bill at your registered address. You'll pay about 25% more than if you had a pass. For one trip that will probably be cheaper.
This is not totally correct. The mainline Florida Turnpike from Wildwood (I-75) to the section in Miami-Dade County (Homestead Extension) is either Sunpass or cash. There are a few exit and entrance ramps along this part of the system that are all electronic toll collection. The Homestead Extension that starts at the Broward/Miami-Dade county line is all electronic toll collection. You must use either Sunpass or "Toll-by-Plate." There is a surcharge for the toll by plate that is collected by mail monthly.

While we live in Tennesse now, one of our children still resides in south Florida where we used to work and live and we make at least two trips a year to the area. I maintain an active Sunpass account as I used to do when working in Miami and always take the Florida Turnpike unless we go to the big RV toy store (Lazydays) in Tampa.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #7

Ray online fla turnpike. You can purchase one and have it mailed to you. You can use a credit card and have the balance adjusted automatically. It will save you money and a lot of time. Enjoy the Keys
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #8

Thank you guys for the information. I was concerned that I would arrive at a toll booth without any way to pay. It would not take many stop N go side-routes to more than use enough fuel to exceed the toll costs.
Since we've never been down the East coast of FL, we'll use what the tolls would have cost to buy the extra fuel needed to go to Jacksonville and pick up I 95.
I'll have to stick to US highways instead on interstates if the proposal to make all interstates toll roads ever happens.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 10-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would strongly advise against taking I-95 all the way in to Miami. You will hit 20 miles or so of city streets between the end of I-95 and the lower end of the Turnpike at Florida City. That drive is bad enough in a car let alone an RV. Do yourself a favor and pay the Turnpike tolls. You won't regret it.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #10

Toll road

I agree with the above post....if you want to do 95...go to Jacksonville then head south....when you get to Fort Pierce head over to the turnpike. Then when you get to the Sawgrass...take it...then pick up the turnpike again south toward Homestead.
bandmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #11

Quote:
I would strongly advise against taking I-95 all the way in to Miami. You will hit 20 miles or so of city streets between the end of I-95 and the lower end of the Turnpike at Florida City. That drive is bad enough in a car let alone an RV. Do yourself a favor and pay the Turnpike tolls. You won't regret it.
Really? I've lived in SW Miami-Dade for 34 years and don't see the problem. Most of the Overseas Highway in the Keys is the same speed limit as the city streets you speak of. Miami is one of the most beautiful cities in the country. The scenery in the Keys is a whole lot better though. It all depends on what time of day (or night) that you are going thru the area.

I really don't care to go whizzing by everything at 60 mph. Stop and go traffic can be relaxing, safer and more enjoyable. Maybe that is why I took the Pacific Coast Highway thru downtown San Francisco and over the Golden Gate Bridge. For me, the journey is often better than the destination.

To the OP, Ray:

Stop, rest for a night and join me for a beer before heading "all the way" to Key West. I'm currently staying on pod 6, site 4 at the great county park on SW 184th St...Larry & Penny Thompson Campground.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandmbrown View Post
I agree with the above post....if you want to do 95...go to Jacksonville then head south....when you get to Fort Pierce head over to the turnpike. Then when you get to the Sawgrass...take it...then pick up the turnpike again south toward Homestead.
46 years living in south Florida. This is the route to take.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
Take I-75 and pay only the toll across the Everglades on Alligator Alley...or take US-41 across...or take I-10 to Jacksonville and then I-95 south and it drops you onto US-1 just south of downtown Miami.
X2
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandmbrown View Post
I really appreciate your advice and experience from living in the area, Thank you. Put together, that is the route I'll drive. I have driven the FL length of I 75 many times, and IMO it is tedious at best in the S. half of FL. Once drove US 27 from I 10 to Clewiston_ BIG MISTAKE! The Eastern route is a new drive for us, we should enjoy the experience.

Tags
florida