RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2021, 01:47 PM   #1

Fresno CA to Eureka CA

I will be towing a 30ft toy hauler from Fresno CA to Eureka CA in May of this year. I am looking for advise on which is the recommended route. I am towing at near 85% capacity. I know that isn't ideal but cannot upgrade the tow pig for another year. I am trying to decide between HWY 101 vs HWY 36 vs HWY 299. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2021, 02:04 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
99 to 205 to 580 to 680 to 780 to 80 to 37 to 101

Terry
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:28 PM   #3

"Pillbox has the best route. You don't want to go hwy 36 too steep and windy and 299 is to far north to come back south to Eureka. Follow pillbox route.
Jpiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:08 PM   #4

I-5 to Hwy 20 west at Williams to 101 north
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:40 AM   #5

Pillbox,
I am actually heading north to Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park. Would you still stick with this route? I am mostly worried about the section between Legget and Orick. Thank you.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:49 AM   #6

Twogypsies,
Thank you. I have taken this route to Fort Bragg, and sometimes would rather deal with clear lake than the bay area traffic.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:28 AM   #7
YC1

Route to Ft Bragg area

Take Highway 20 West out of Williams. 37.1 miles.

Watch for Highway 53 as you drop down a hill after a fairly long climb. Easy climb and multiple lanes.
Turn what would be South onto 53. You will go about 8 miles. Look for the sign to Highway 29 which leads to Kelseyville. This is a nice road and will become freeway in a few miles. Eventually you are back to two lane for a short distance and will come to a stop sign. You are back to Highway 20 again. This leg is about 30 miles. Turn left and enjoy the beautiful drive right to 101. This route will bypass the two lane twisting and winding on the North side of Clear lake. If you want a good view of the lake go ahead and stay on 20 all the way to 101.

Take the freeway ramp towards Willits. (Ignore the following if not going to Ft Bragg of course) Once in town stay in the left lane and be patient. Traffic can back up a bit. You will come to a large intersection that has a shopping center on the right and fuel stations on three corners. Turn left and relax and enjoy a beautiful twisting and winding road that has plenty of pull outs to rest, calm queasy stomachs and stretch the pets.

This section may take you an hour. Use your shifting lever to keep things in a lower gear so you don’t get hot brakes. Nothing steep, just lots of slow curves.

After the 33 miles you will come to a stop light. Two ways to go, right or left. Left will take you to Mendocino and right will take you to Ft. Bragg. Be sure to make reservations in advance. Turning left there is a really nice campground “Pomo”, that we have used many times. Further down is Casper beach. My wife does not like the cramped spaces but I liked being able to walk across the street to the beach.

Adding to this. Keep an eye out for Elk along the road from Williams to the Clear Lake area. Another interesting place along the way on the right is an old mining camp. You will come to a three lane road, two lanes going uphill. On the right you will see an old slag dump. This is Abbot mine. It was a mercury mine in the 50's and 60's. "Quick Silver", is an incredibly heavy liquid metal at room temp. There were about a dozen families living at this mining camp at one time. A cook house, bunk house and showers were provided for many miners. Ore was trucked to the crushers, then entered furnaces. The slag was dumped over an embankment. The site was cleaned up several years ago so mostly memories are the only things left.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Route to Ft Bragg area

Take Highway 20 West out of Williams. 37.1 miles.

Watch for Highway 53 as you drop down a hill after a fairly long climb. Easy climb and multiple lanes.
Turn what would be South onto 53. You will go about 8 miles. Look for the sign to Highway 29 which leads to Kelseyville. This is a nice road and will become freeway in a few miles. Eventually you are back to two lane for a short distance and will come to a stop sign. You are back to Highway 20 again. This leg is about 30 miles. Turn left and enjoy the beautiful drive right to 101. This route will bypass the two lane twisting and winding on the North side of Clear lake. If you want a good view of the lake go ahead and stay on 20 all the way to 101.

Take the freeway ramp towards Willits. (Ignore the following if not going to Ft Bragg of course) Once in town stay in the left lane and be patient. Traffic can back up a bit. You will come to a large intersection that has a shopping center on the right and fuel stations on three corners. Turn left and relax and enjoy a beautiful twisting and winding road that has plenty of pull outs to rest, calm queasy stomachs and stretch the pets.

This section may take you an hour. Use your shifting lever to keep things in a lower gear so you don’t get hot brakes. Nothing steep, just lots of slow curves.

After the 33 miles you will come to a stop light. Two ways to go, right or left. Left will take you to Mendocino and right will take you to Ft. Bragg. Be sure to make reservations in advance. Turning left there is a really nice campground “Pomo”, that we have used many times. Further down is Casper beach. My wife does not like the cramped spaces but I liked being able to walk across the street to the beach.

Adding to this. Keep an eye out for Elk along the road from Williams to the Clear Lake area. Another interesting place along the way on the right is an old mining camp. You will come to a three lane road, two lanes going uphill. On the right you will see an old slag dump. This is Abbot mine. It was a mercury mine in the 50's and 60's. "Quick Silver", is an incredibly heavy liquid metal at room temp. There were about a dozen families living at this mining camp at one time. A cook house, bunk house and showers were provided for many miners. Ore was trucked to the crushers, then entered furnaces. The slag was dumped over an embankment. The site was cleaned up several years ago so mostly memories are the only things left.

Thanks YC1. Sounds like you have been there a time or two.
Kimbrough2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:54 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
agree, avoid both 36 and 299 for your purposes. 20 is probably your best bet and the next time I have to take that route Im going to try 58 to 29 and back to 20 to avoid the north end of the lake. Really tired of that part of the drive.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:43 AM   #10
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbrough2 View Post
Thanks YC1. Sounds like you have been there a time or two.
Native Californian and lived in the area most of my life till we escaped a few years ago. I answered this question so many times over the years I just saved the thing and re-post when the subject comes up.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:53 PM   #11

20/29 and back to 20 is an excellent drive for big rigs.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:25 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
20/29 and back to 20 is an excellent drive for big rigs.
Now that you mention it, I believe there is a “truck route” sign at that intersection.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:11 AM   #13
YC1

Pay attention getting to the left turn at 53.. You will have just climbed a fairly long hill that has three lanes. Once you crest the hill you will need to be in the left lane and slowing for the hard left when you get to the base of that hill.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------