RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-01-2021, 01:47 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Kimbrough2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 8
Fresno CA to Eureka CA

I will be towing a 30ft toy hauler from Fresno CA to Eureka CA in May of this year. I am looking for advise on which is the recommended route. I am towing at near 85% capacity. I know that isn't ideal but cannot upgrade the tow pig for another year. I am trying to decide between HWY 101 vs HWY 36 vs HWY 299. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.
__________________
I WOULD RATHER BE ROAD-TRIPPING!
Kimbrough2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2021, 02:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Pillbox's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca
Posts: 246
99 to 205 to 580 to 680 to 780 to 80 to 37 to 101

Terry
__________________
Semper Fi
2007 HR Endeavor PAQ, 2020 Trailhawk toad
Roadmaster tow bar
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:28 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jpiland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Sonoma County, Ca
Posts: 306
"Pillbox has the best route. You don't want to go hwy 36 too steep and windy and 299 is to far north to come back south to Eureka. Follow pillbox route.
__________________
Jerry & Sue
2005 Excursion 39J, 2015 Chevy Colorado 4x4 Crew Cab. Simi-Retired, 4 Down & Running
Sonoma County, CA.
Jpiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:08 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 12,966
I-5 to Hwy 20 west at Williams to 101 north
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . .
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:40 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Kimbrough2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 8
Pillbox,
I am actually heading north to Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park. Would you still stick with this route? I am mostly worried about the section between Legget and Orick. Thank you.
__________________
I WOULD RATHER BE ROAD-TRIPPING!
Kimbrough2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:49 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Kimbrough2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 8
Twogypsies,
Thank you. I have taken this route to Fort Bragg, and sometimes would rather deal with clear lake than the bay area traffic.
__________________
I WOULD RATHER BE ROAD-TRIPPING!
Kimbrough2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:28 AM   #7
YC1
Senior Member
 
YC1's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,436
Route to Ft Bragg area


Take Highway 20 West out of Williams. 37.1 miles.

Watch for Highway 53 as you drop down a hill after a fairly long climb. Easy climb and multiple lanes.
Turn what would be South onto 53. You will go about 8 miles. Look for the sign to Highway 29 which leads to Kelseyville. This is a nice road and will become freeway in a few miles. Eventually you are back to two lane for a short distance and will come to a stop sign. You are back to Highway 20 again. This leg is about 30 miles. Turn left and enjoy the beautiful drive right to 101. This route will bypass the two lane twisting and winding on the North side of Clear lake. If you want a good view of the lake go ahead and stay on 20 all the way to 101.

Take the freeway ramp towards Willits. (Ignore the following if not going to Ft Bragg of course) Once in town stay in the left lane and be patient. Traffic can back up a bit. You will come to a large intersection that has a shopping center on the right and fuel stations on three corners. Turn left and relax and enjoy a beautiful twisting and winding road that has plenty of pull outs to rest, calm queasy stomachs and stretch the pets.

This section may take you an hour. Use your shifting lever to keep things in a lower gear so you don’t get hot brakes. Nothing steep, just lots of slow curves.

After the 33 miles you will come to a stop light. Two ways to go, right or left. Left will take you to Mendocino and right will take you to Ft. Bragg. Be sure to make reservations in advance. Turning left there is a really nice campground “Pomo”, that we have used many times. Further down is Casper beach. My wife does not like the cramped spaces but I liked being able to walk across the street to the beach.

Adding to this. Keep an eye out for Elk along the road from Williams to the Clear Lake area. Another interesting place along the way on the right is an old mining camp. You will come to a three lane road, two lanes going uphill. On the right you will see an old slag dump. This is Abbot mine. It was a mercury mine in the 50's and 60's. "Quick Silver", is an incredibly heavy liquid metal at room temp. There were about a dozen families living at this mining camp at one time. A cook house, bunk house and showers were provided for many miners. Ore was trucked to the crushers, then entered furnaces. The slag was dumped over an embankment. The site was cleaned up several years ago so mostly memories are the only things left.
__________________
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:43 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Kimbrough2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Route to Ft Bragg area


Take Highway 20 West out of Williams. 37.1 miles.

Watch for Highway 53 as you drop down a hill after a fairly long climb. Easy climb and multiple lanes.
Turn what would be South onto 53. You will go about 8 miles. Look for the sign to Highway 29 which leads to Kelseyville. This is a nice road and will become freeway in a few miles. Eventually you are back to two lane for a short distance and will come to a stop sign. You are back to Highway 20 again. This leg is about 30 miles. Turn left and enjoy the beautiful drive right to 101. This route will bypass the two lane twisting and winding on the North side of Clear lake. If you want a good view of the lake go ahead and stay on 20 all the way to 101.

Take the freeway ramp towards Willits. (Ignore the following if not going to Ft Bragg of course) Once in town stay in the left lane and be patient. Traffic can back up a bit. You will come to a large intersection that has a shopping center on the right and fuel stations on three corners. Turn left and relax and enjoy a beautiful twisting and winding road that has plenty of pull outs to rest, calm queasy stomachs and stretch the pets.

This section may take you an hour. Use your shifting lever to keep things in a lower gear so you don’t get hot brakes. Nothing steep, just lots of slow curves.

After the 33 miles you will come to a stop light. Two ways to go, right or left. Left will take you to Mendocino and right will take you to Ft. Bragg. Be sure to make reservations in advance. Turning left there is a really nice campground “Pomo”, that we have used many times. Further down is Casper beach. My wife does not like the cramped spaces but I liked being able to walk across the street to the beach.

Adding to this. Keep an eye out for Elk along the road from Williams to the Clear Lake area. Another interesting place along the way on the right is an old mining camp. You will come to a three lane road, two lanes going uphill. On the right you will see an old slag dump. This is Abbot mine. It was a mercury mine in the 50's and 60's. "Quick Silver", is an incredibly heavy liquid metal at room temp. There were about a dozen families living at this mining camp at one time. A cook house, bunk house and showers were provided for many miners. Ore was trucked to the crushers, then entered furnaces. The slag was dumped over an embankment. The site was cleaned up several years ago so mostly memories are the only things left.

Thanks YC1. Sounds like you have been there a time or two.
Kimbrough2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:54 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
R.Wold's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rosemary Farm, Northern Ca
Posts: 3,413
agree, avoid both 36 and 299 for your purposes. 20 is probably your best bet and the next time I have to take that route Im going to try 58 to 29 and back to 20 to avoid the north end of the lake. Really tired of that part of the drive.
__________________
Actively pursuing a solution/resolution to the SCR/DEF issue
Current Coach: MoCa (Mobile Cabin) 2016 Ventana 3427
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:43 AM   #10
YC1
Senior Member
 
YC1's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbrough2 View Post
Thanks YC1. Sounds like you have been there a time or two.
Native Californian and lived in the area most of my life till we escaped a few years ago. I answered this question so many times over the years I just saved the thing and re-post when the subject comes up.
__________________
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:53 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 12,966
20/29 and back to 20 is an excellent drive for big rigs.
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . .
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:25 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
R.Wold's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rosemary Farm, Northern Ca
Posts: 3,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
20/29 and back to 20 is an excellent drive for big rigs.
Now that you mention it, I believe there is a “truck route” sign at that intersection.
__________________
Actively pursuing a solution/resolution to the SCR/DEF issue
Current Coach: MoCa (Mobile Cabin) 2016 Ventana 3427
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:11 AM   #13
YC1
Senior Member
 
YC1's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,436
Pay attention getting to the left turn at 53.. You will have just climbed a fairly long hill that has three lanes. Once you crest the hill you will need to be in the left lane and slowing for the hard left when you get to the base of that hill.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------


Turn what would be South onto 53. You will go about 8 miles. Look for the sign to Highway 29 which leads to Kelseyville. This is a nice road and will become freeway in a few miles. Eventually you are back to two lane for a short distance and will come to a stop sign. You are back to Highway 20 again. This leg is about 30 miles. Turn left and enjoy the beautiful drive right to 101. This route will bypass the two lane twisting and winding on the North side of Clear lake. If you want a good view of the lake go ahead and stay on 20 all the way to 101.
__________________
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dennis Hunt - Fresno, CA dogfan99 New Member Check-In 2 07-12-2010 01:41 PM
Campground in Fresno? afrank1971 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 4 05-25-2008 01:05 PM
Fresno, CA to Forest City, Iowa Darlene7 Navigation, Routes & Roads 5 06-26-2006 05:58 PM
Fresno to Oregon - places to stay in CA along the way Darlene7 Southwest Region 6 06-26-2006 08:59 AM
Help with trip Fresno, CA to Oregon and Washington Darlene7 Navigation, Routes & Roads 4 06-09-2005 05:25 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.