Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #1

From West Michigan south then West

Looking for recommendations to get out of West Michigan after Christmas and head south the fastest way without using Interstates. Once we are out of the "winter", we will then head west for Sedona. I want to avoid as much "winter" as I can, thus the long approach. Thanks for any suggestions.
Mikes47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2018, 08:15 PM   #2

the fastest way would be on the interstates.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:17 PM   #3

After watching the weather forecast for the coming week, heading West is directly into snow and wind. If you really want to get out of "winter" as fast as possible you might want head directly South unless you are in the UP. Also the fastest route IS interstates particulary I 69S,to I 65S to I 40W. From that intersection you should be in warm(er) weather and free to "avoid interstates'. I doubt you'll make good time on non-interstate roads until you do reach warmer weather. You may even need to continue South to parallel I 10 to avoid cold weather, but the plains states are getting hammered next week.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #4

You most likely will not be warm in Sedona in January. It does get snow at times. Beautiful though.

Unless you're confident on the weather report coming in via I-40 to Arizona, I'd highly recommend you drop down to I-10 and take that across the states.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:43 AM   #5

My route SW MI to Phoenix

I live near the I-94 and US-131 interchange and I also avoid I-94 and Chicago. Additionally, avoiding the Lake Michigan lake effect is vital. Here is my route:

US-131 south to Indiana 15 (southside of Middlebury)
West on 15 becomes US-20 continue west
South on US-31 (now a very good route)
West on I-465 around Indy
West on I-70
South on I-57
South on I-55
West on I-40
West on I-30
West on I-20
West on I-10

Yes, all interstates and not what you've asked for. Your choice on other roads. Once in TX, there are lots of good roads other than interstates, especially around Dallas.

I've heard it said "Drive south until there's no snow and turn right"
Old 12-02-2018, 07:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You most likely will not be warm in Sedona in January. It does get snow at times. Beautiful though.

Unless you're confident on the weather report coming in via I-40 to Arizona, I'd highly recommend you drop down to I-10 and take that across the states.

We homebase in Sedona and I agree completely with the above quote. Our November has been colder than normal and that is continuing into December so far. With that said, we saw Sedona for the first time spending two weeks here in January and February a few years ago and so fell in love with the place we moved here. Snow only makes it more beautiful. But in the two full winters we have lived here there have only been two snows and most are gone by afternoon. If you would like any specific information about the Sedona area feel free to email me.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #7

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will take the interstates south until there is no snow and then aim west.
Mikes47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes47 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will take the interstates south until there is no snow and then aim west.
Keep an Eye and an Ear out for the Weather - Good Choice.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #9

It's amazing how folks ignore the question.

I looked at Google maps to see what looked interesting. It looks like you have several choices to get out of Michigan depending where you are starting out. It's not hard to miss Indianapolis. If I was doing it I would pick a route south and maybe ask for some specific route information for a given area. Other than that and watching the weather just keep dropping south until you hit Louisiana then ask for routes around whatever.

It looks like US231 will do a lot of heading south. Poking around if you move west to the Mississippi River area US 61 seems to follow the river at a distance and might be a nice scenic ride. Whatever you do should be interesting. Please post what you did or post as you go and get a chance. The latter might get you more local knowledge information.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:07 AM   #10

Have a great trip to Sedona, one of the most magnificent places in this amazing country! We traveled from Grand Rapids to Tucson last January. The route suggested by “bydnar” sounds great. We also took US 131 south to US 31 to avoid the snow belt around the southeast corner of Lake Michigan and the traffic at the south end of the lake.

Whatever route you choose, keep an eye on the weather forecast for upcoming cities along your route and be prepared to hunker down if necessary. Being far south does not insure safe traveling weather. We had the worst road conditions of our trip in HOUSTON, believe it or not. The city was totally shut down - literally - when the temperature quickly dropped to 19 degrees F after heavy rain. All roads were ice skating rinks for 2 days!

BTW, the app “Allstays” has been invaluable when we’ve needed to find a place to stay unexpectedly. It shows a quite comprehensive number of facilities (RV parks) and services (rest areas, truck stops, etc) on the map, and has extensive filtering capabilities.
Jsvelez1973 is offline   Reply With Quote