RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2020, 08:11 AM   #1

FYI------RT 50 closing next Summer!

FYI------RT 50 closing next Summer!

Links to the different explanations of construction.

https://www.codot.gov/projects/us-50...e-creek-canyon

https://highways.dot.gov/federal-lan...co/little-blue

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=86855...=2&form=S00027

MAP - Zoom in to see details - appears to be no work around!

Just one more note on this - if past projects are any indication of the True Time Line - this will likely run into Year three - Cottonwood Canyon Project and Fishing Bridge Project are just two examples of contractors not being able to meet the timeline set for in the Proposed Contract.

IMHO this will be a major issue for travel in Southwestern Colorado for the next few - or longer - Summer Seasons. Colorado residents should express their concerns to the Politicians, as this will have a significant financial impact on the Southern area of Colorado. For $40,000,000.00 Dollars. I would think you might just be able to dedicate enough resources to finish this in One Year!

Not sure many of you remember the issues, when I-70 was closed for Fires or for Rock slides in the Past - this is the work around that is generally prefered. So travel East and West in Colorado Could be strangled into very Few options in an Emergency.

Just one man's thoughts,

For those of us who Love Colorado - this will be a Big Deal.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 08:17 AM   #2

One thing I haven't seen out west that is common in Florida, that is making road workers work at night. Frequently you'll see construction activity starting at 7 PM around here. Unpopular with the road workers but quite popular with everyone else.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:40 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for posting this. Hwy 50 is our major route every year so we'll have to come up with a reroute. The web site says it will be fully open on the weekends but with construction it will still be a mess.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
One thing I haven't seen out west that is common in Florida, that is making road workers work at night. Frequently you'll see construction activity starting at 7 PM around here. Unpopular with the road workers but quite popular with everyone else.
The web site indicates most of this work will be done at night - but 2-3 years of Summer Closures is more than just a PITA it will cost the local Business and property owners Millions of dollars in travel and time wasted.

Just a side note - as a former State Highway and Interstate Highway Contractor - I would suggest the state up the ante, and incentivise the contract for finishing early - on a $40 million dollar contract say $10,000 + per day, giving the contractor the chance to earn up to say $2 million dollars for finishing 200 days early - while we were in business this was done on a few occasions, generally the contractor would maximize his profit by Earning most if not all of the incentive

One year would still be a big inconvenience, but sure beats the three that are likely. When, if the contractor fast tracked the work and was rewarded for his efforts (Simple just dedicate three crews to the job rather than just One) The job is three miles long - just divide it into three more manageable sections and triple your effort - saving time and Money.

Just a Thought,
Old 11-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #5

Well its about time. Narrow, twisty route now. Great news!
Old 11-19-2020, 04:10 PM   #6

It states:

"US 50 will be accessible every weekday morning, mid-day, and evening, and fully open on the weekends" so basically, it will still be open.... but slow-going.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
It states:

"US 50 will be accessible every weekday morning, mid-day, and evening, and fully open on the weekends" so basically, it will still be open.... but slow-going.
Not to be short with you but One way traffic for a three mile distance will likely require a lot more than the 5 hours available to handle just the Local Traffic, I sat in just a repaving line last summer on RT 50, heading into Gunnison, which was for well over an Hour, ths with traffic running all day in the one lane run, all day and I waited for over an Hour, just keep that in mind if you are thinking of traveling during the week.

I've tried it when I was in Business - this is really a very Small window for one way traffic on a three mile Road project even if it is only for a few locations in this distance.

A FYI - RT 50 is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge - this is where I live - I see it all the time - many people live between Montrose and Gunnison, so they will likely need this 5 hour period just to handle them - If at all possible, if you need to be in this area - please try to make your travels, if you must, travel on the weekend, leaving the roads short available time open to the Locals.

JMHO,
Old 11-19-2020, 05:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Not to be short with you but One way traffic for a three mile distance will likely require a lot more than the 5 hours available to handle just the Local Traffic, I sat in just a repaving line last summer on RT 50, heading into Gunnison, which was for well over an Hour, ths with traffic running all day in the one lane run, all day and I waited for over an Hour, just keep that in mind if you are thinking of traveling during the week.

I've tried it when I was in Business - this is really a very Small window for one way traffic on a three mile Road project even if it is only for a few locations in this distance.

A FYI - RT 50 is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge - this is where I live - I see it all the time - many people live between Montrose and Gunnison, so they will likely need this 5 hour period just to handle them - If at all possible, if you need to be in this area - please try to make your travels, if you must, travel on the weekend, leaving the roads short available time open to the Locals.

JMHO,
.... You're topic heading stated it was closing.... and that's why I said that it will be open but slow-going. Are we talking about Gunnison area? What has the Chesapeake Bridge have to do with it? Sorry if I upset you!
Old 11-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
.... You're topic heading stated it was closing.... and that's why I said that it will be open but slow-going. Are we talking about Gunnison area? What has the Chesapeake Bridge have to do with it? Sorry if I upset you!
-

My bad - Just inserting Myself into the Locals Skin - Having a road Closed all Summer, even if just 5 days during the week for 19 hours a day is just a Pain.

The reference to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge is just me and a similar situation all summer with beach traffic. Sorry for coming across and being so short with you.

The Construction will just be a Pain, so trying to just be somewhat informative - taking the locals side - Sorry to have come across so .......

Not my intention,

Old 11-19-2020, 11:05 PM   #10

A-OK! I know you mean well!
Old 11-20-2020, 04:47 AM   #11

Talking

Well it looks like it will be either 149 over Slumgullion or 550 over Red Mountain pass to get to Ouray next year but we will be there.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:36 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdnash View Post
Well it looks like it will be either 149 over Slumgullion or 550 over Red Mountain pass to get to Ouray next year but we will be there.
Hwy 149 still won't get you around the construction. It ties into Hwy 50 west of Gunnison and you would still have to go through the Blue Creek Canyon construction area, which is west of there.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:31 AM   #13

Well 92 offers a long detour around the western section between Gunnison and Montrose. Not a big problem for folks headed west thru Delta anyway.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
Well 92 offers a long detour around the western section between Gunnison and Montrose. Not a big problem for folks headed west thru Delta anyway.

Might be fun in the Toad but will be a major commitment in the Coach.

But - it is an Option.

More info below -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_State_Highway_92

https://www.motorcycleroads.org/2016...lorado-dragon/