Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2018, 08:50 AM   #1

Garman RV660LMT question

I am considering purchasing the 660 for multiple vehicles, i.e. RV, pickup, car etc.

I see in some of the google reviews that vehicle profiles seem maybe only to fit MH, bumper pull trailers, or 5th-wheels. Or I have misunderstood!!!

Can you have a vehicle profile for a plain old car/truck? Don't want to drive 50 miles around a low bridge area when I am using GPS in a car/pickup. Thx, Dennis.
Budman199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman199 View Post
Can you have a vehicle profile for a plain old car/truck?
You enter the parameters for your vehicle yourself. Seems like you can enter any height, weight, width, ect. I can't see why it wouldn't work for you.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #3

Our RV770 has icons for walking, biking, car, and MH.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just looked at our 760 and it has a screen at the start up where you can select truck, RV, or auto.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #5

Thx but not sure 7 series and 6 series have all the same options? I know there are some differences but not sure everything. Thx, Dennis.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Thx but not sure 7 series and 6 series have all the same options? I know there are some differences but not sure everything. Thx, Dennis.
Hi Dennis,
I just received our new RV660. Yes it has a way to select either car or RV. It is a simple icon on the top of the GPS that allows you to select car or RV. You can setup the parameters for the RV, trailer, etc. Hope that helps
Mike
JMLifecation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:03 AM   #7

Quote:
I am considering purchasing the 660 for multiple vehicles, i.e. RV, pickup, car etc.

I see in some of the google reviews that vehicle profiles seem maybe only to fit MH, bumper pull trailers, or 5th-wheels. Or I have misunderstood!!!

Can you have a vehicle profile for a plain old car/truck? Don't want to drive 50 miles around a low bridge area when I am using GPS in a car/pickup. Thx, Dennis.

Piece of junk. Save your money. No better than my 15 year old $100 garmin. Slow slow interface. Phone is 3 times faster. Ran all 3 side by side.
boatdesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdesigner View Post
Piece of junk. Save your money. No better than my 15 year old $100 garmin. Slow slow interface. Phone is 3 times faster. Ran all 3 side by side.
That is absurd! I have a Garmin that I purchased in 2000 and I guarantee you the new ones are a 1000 times faster and better.
So you hold your phone in your hand and navigate while in traffic? Is that what you do?
Old 01-23-2018, 08:56 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The new GPS are fast, just try your phone in some out of the way places. That said we do use the phones as well as the GPS. For instance to reroute around a closure or other emergency situation. Also the RV options on the GPS are better and more complete. Have 5 GPS car, RV type, one handheld for geocaching and two latest smart phones and at times each has its place.

LEN
Old 01-25-2018, 10:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLifecation View Post
Hi Dennis,
I just received our new RV660. Yes it has a way to select either car or RV. It is a simple icon on the top of the GPS that allows you to select car or RV. You can setup the parameters for the RV, trailer, etc. Hope that helps
Mike
Received mine yesterday and like u said has car and RV settings. Very simple as it starts up and pick icon of what ur driving. Even an old man can do it!!!

Also has voice activated navigation but may wait a while before I try that. This is everything I needed. Thx, Dennis.

PS. When I registered it also updated the latest greatest software and maps.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:42 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Received mine yesterday and like u said has car and RV settings. Very simple as it starts up and pick icon of what ur driving. Even an old man can do it!!!

Also has voice activated navigation but may wait a while before I try that. This is everything I needed. Thx, Dennis.

PS. When I registered it also updated the latest greatest software and maps.

The voice command is cool. I would put a car icon in for your car and choose a different icon for your RV so that you won't forget what mode your in. There are so many things to learn that it can do, split screens, traffic, elevation and grade, curve ahead, speed limit change ahead, time moving, time sitting, avg. speed on trip, fastest speed on trip and much more. Very nice screen movement with finger tip. I practice while wife is driving because I can't sleep but I can rest some. I used it recently on a long road trip in the car while wife was driving and learned so much more.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
The voice command is cool. I would put a car icon in for your car and choose a different icon for your RV so that you won't forget what mode your in. There are so many things to learn that it can do, split screens, traffic, elevation and grade, curve ahead, speed limit change ahead, time moving, time sitting, avg. speed on trip, fastest speed on trip and much more. Very nice screen movement with finger tip. I practice while wife is driving because I can't sleep but I can rest some. I used it recently on a long road trip in the car while wife was driving and learned so much more.
Thx and this one came w the car and RV already setup. Or I did not look before setting the RV up. It displays at the top of screen which I'm using. And if it starts on car another screen displays that I am not on RV and will not calculate as such. So some safeguards for us challenged memory folks!!! Thx, Dennis.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I like the four sq. too.