Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2021, 04:43 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to MJClark
Garmin 785 Vs. 890

Researching GPS for the RV, have watched videos on both, but none compare the two. The 785 has a built-in dash cam, which I like, but no mention of it on the 890. Other than this, wondered how the two compare. 890 has larger 8" screen, but nothing else seems to differ much... any experienced RV'rs out there?
MJClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2021, 06:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have the 890 and like the large screen. I'm not totally impressed with the garmin interface. It seems like taking a step back from my old phone running google maps.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:44 AM   #3

We have the RV 785 which does have a 1" smaller screen but the built-in-dash camera is very useful since you get warnings when you get close to leaving your lane and when getting too close to an object in front of the motorhome (collision avoidance).
Old 06-29-2021, 08:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rffowler55 View Post
We have the RV 785 which does have a 1" smaller screen but the built-in-dash camera is very useful since you get warnings when you get close to leaving your lane and when getting too close to an object in front of the motorhome (collision avoidance).
It's like having a second wife driving with me, only I don't have to say "yes dear" all the time.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:03 AM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rffowler55 View Post
I have an RV 785 as well. The Collision Avoidance only goes off when a car pulls in front of us so I shut the thing off. Lane Departure rarely goes off and since it's not tied to the turn signals it can false positive.

The 7" screen is big enough to be easily seen and manipulated from the passenger seat. I do like the dashcam and having it built into the GPS eliminates a lot of dash and cord clutter.

The 785 seems to be the same GPS as the 780 but with the dashcam functionality. The dashcam resolution is not the best and it's difficult to read license plates. But it does nicely cover the area in front of the motorhome because it sits so high up and is so far from the windshield.

I think the 785 and dezlCam 785 trucker GPS were Garmin's first attempts to move to a non-proprietary operating system which would lower their ongoing development costs and also allow more generic hardware, such as off-the-shelf tablets.

My RV 785 still runs Android v6.01 which is pretty darn old. I don't expect to ever see Garmin update the version of Android it runs.

Ray
Old 07-05-2021, 08:34 PM   #6

I bought the 890 last year. Love it! I also have the RV Life app on my phone. If there is any question about the route I run both to see if something is missing from the 890 data base. Both let you set up for your rigs configuration.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:47 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to MJClark
On my Facebook feed, I'm seeing a lot of ads for the Garmin 1090... So many different models, even from the same manufacturer, it gets nuts trying to compare... my initial post didn't consider the 1090, so let's throw that into the discussion... anybody have one?
MJClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:08 PM   #8

I have the Garmin RV890 GPS and on our first long trip with it it did OK. I liked the traffic reporting indicating slowdowns etc. But I was disappointed in the speed limits it showed being way off in a lot of locations. Also several new highways that are around 10 years old failed to be included, and Mrs. Garmin tried and tried to take us on roads that weren't there any longer. One such roadway/bridge is the Hathaway Bridge in Panama City Beach.

But overall I like the unit. As with any electronics, you just have to be aware of their limitations.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I have the Garmin RV890 GPS and on our first long trip with it it did OK. I liked the traffic reporting indicating slowdowns etc. But I was disappointed in the speed limits it showed being way off in a lot of locations. Also several new highways that are around 10 years old failed to be included, and Mrs. Garmin tried and tried to take us on roads that weren't there any longer. One such roadway/bridge is the Hathaway Bridge in Panama City Beach.

But overall I like the unit. As with any electronics, you just have to be aware of their limitations.
Maybe the maps software needs to be updated, you can check their web site and update your maps
Old 07-29-2021, 04:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
On my Facebook feed, I'm seeing a lot of ads for the Garmin 1090... So many different models, even from the same manufacturer, it gets nuts trying to compare... my initial post didn't consider the 1090, so let's throw that into the discussion... anybody have one?
Yes thats their latest RV model - 10 inch screen vs 8 inch for the 890 model. Not sure what other new bells and features it has but most likley the latest technology ...
Old 07-29-2021, 05:42 AM   #11

I have an RV-785, love the dash cam but less then impressed with the mapping and navigation information. I have spoke to Garmin and updated all my maps and software, yet maps still are out of date.
New roads (2yr old) not depicted, wrong speed limit postings, etc.

I have used and LOVED Garmin products for years in the Marine environment, but its a different Garmin world on land.

For the record, I would NOT replace this unit if it were to break, Google maps, Apple Maps, and Waze, do as good if not better job IMO.
rtaggio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmeris View Post
Maybe the maps software needs to be updated, you can check their web site and update your maps
Thanks for the input. All of that was done a week ago before we left.