Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2022, 03:59 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Garmin RV Camper 785

I just learned Garmin only updates their maps every 4 months. Next update in June & the 2 errors we just found I’m told not make update until fall.

Our first error we discovered was our routing to Safe-T-Plus. The short story is Garmin took us onto a dead end road ending at a pond in a park, still telling us to turn left in 1 mile. There was no road. Oh & this was at 10 pm & very dark area.

Correct directions once off I-20 onto route 100 Golf Course road is first right once you pass under a overpass. Road is not marked. If you wind up at rout 78 you missed your turn. When I showed this to Safe-T-Plus they were shocked as there is no road. I called Garmin & they duplicated the problem & it will be in a future update.

Two days later Garmin was routing us from Highland NC to Frankline NC on route 64. Fortunately there is a big sign posted nothing longer than 30’. This we found out posted as of February 16, 2022. Again Garmin said fall update.

What form of navigation do others use for their Class A & pulling?

If you
Cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2022, 09:00 PM   #2
NXR

I use an RV 785 and I plan my trips with RV Trip Wizard. RVTW can give "RV Safe" turn by turn directions so I compare the two and investigate any significant differences.

I also call the destination for their specific directions if they do not have anything specific posted on the web site (KOA does not) and ask them. That's saved us a few times.

For example, the Garmin and RVTW give the same directions to the Forsyth, GA KOA and they are both right but also both wrong.

Due to the entrance road configuration, you need to enter the KOA from the north. If you arrive from the south on I-75 you need to do a very sharp, tight U-turn and there is not enough room unless your total length is really, really short.

We watched a tag axle DP try it while towing a Jeep. It was a really bad decision for them.

Ray
Old 05-20-2022, 04:55 AM   #3

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite tablet running the Trimble CoPilot navigation app in RV mode. If you go this route you have to buy the traffic subscription to get the best routing and ETA because it provides you with historical traffic data.
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:56 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I double check routes by looking at google maps and street view.
Only wrong turn I've made was in an rv park where the lady said make the first right after the check in building, which led me into a small parking lot. She should have said 2nd right. Had to unhook the Jeep to get turned around.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:39 AM   #5

If I had $1 for every error my RV-785 displayed in the year I've used it, I could have replaced the entire motorhome that its mounted in.

Dash cam is awesome though
rtaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:28 PM   #6
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaggio
If I had $1 for every error my RV-785 displayed in the year I've used it, I could have replaced the entire motorhome that its mounted in.

Dash cam is awesome though
Odd. I think we may have had one weird routing in three years.

Ray

Tags
camper, garmin