Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #1

Garmin Rv770 LMT-S

Ours arrived yesterday. After downloading updates the setup was easier than any GPS I have used. Using the Trip Planner app is so easy anyone can do it and save your trips for quick recall. Planning a trip, with stop over, from Monterey Ca to Las Vegas took about three minutes. I love that it hooks up to your WIFI and will update maps and apps automatically. We use the Verizon Jetpack so we always have WIFI available. Search for almost anything in your area is simple and fast. It has several great apps that will make travel a breeze. I highly recommend this device. When ordering make sure you order the 770 LMT-S or you won't have the one designed for the RV.
dowdytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #2

We got ours Thursday and the setup was easy. I'm looking forward to using it this summer during our 3 month hiatus from the Florida heat. I ordered the sun shield and like it but I had to order the longer 3" arm window mounting
device from an aftermarket supplier to give me a more vertical adjustment as the sun shield was was hitting the windshield. Also, had to use the Dremel to modify the back of the sun shield so I could hit the Garmin on/off button without removing the shield. Simple 2 minute fix. The 7" screen is bright and well thought out.
Labrat46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowdytj View Post
... I love that it hooks up to your WIFI and will update maps and apps automatically. We use the Verizon Jetpack so we always have WIFI available. ...
I hope you have an unlimited data plan on that Jetpack - map updates are usually HUGE files.

Wondering if anyone with a new RV770 has experience with the RV760 and can describe the differences/improvements. I like my 760 a lot, but always curious about newer/better.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #4

We do have the unlimited data plan
Old 04-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #5

Outside our Bubble (David) had a pretty effusive review of the 770

Don't know if he did a side by side with the 760. Garmin RV 770 LMT-S GPS - Best RV GPS? - Outside Our Bubble
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #6

Can you explain the Trip Planner app more? Does that reside on the GPS itself?
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan View Post
Can you explain the Trip Planner app more? Does that reside on the GPS itself?

Yes. It is one of several apps that are part of the unit. This unit is much like using an iPad
Old 04-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have had my RV770 for a over a week now. It seems like a great unit but there is one big problem for BaseCamp users, you can't dependably send routes and waypoints to the RV770. Garmin is aware of the problem and say they are working on it... we'll see.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
Explain "sun shield"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat46 View Post
We got ours Thursday and the setup was easy. I'm looking forward to using it this summer during our 3 month hiatus from the Florida heat. I ordered the sun shield and like it but I had to order the longer 3" arm window mounting
device from an aftermarket supplier to give me a more vertical adjustment as the sun shield was was hitting the windshield. Also, had to use the Dremel to modify the back of the sun shield so I could hit the Garmin on/off button without removing the shield. Simple 2 minute fix. The 7" screen is bright and well thought out.
Just about to push the buy button for Amazon for the Garmin, but please explain "sun shield" and while you are at it "Dremel".

Newbie on board.....
Burdtnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdtnet View Post
Just about to push the buy button for Amazon for the Garmin, but please explain "sun shield" and while you are at it "Dremel".

Newbie on board.....
TFY GPS Navigation Sun Shade Visor for Garmin nüvi 2797LMT 7-Inch Portable Blue | eBay and the Dremel is a small hand held cutter or polisher. Has about 50 accessories you use with it. https://www.dremel.com/en_US/?campai...FU9ZhgodWikL_Q
Labrat46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Sunshade looks interesting, it's cheaper on Amazon: http://a.co/g3XGxKm
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:55 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Recent, like last few days, comments on Amazon are not very good.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:57 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
I have had my RV770 for a over a week now. It seems like a great unit but there is one big problem for BaseCamp users, you can't dependably send routes and waypoints to the RV770. Garmin is aware of the problem and say they are working on it... we'll see.
I had also read there was a BaseCamp issue and a few other issues. I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on the Garmin RV770, mainly because I have several other Garmins and well versed in their operations.
I've had ours a few days now and had time to explore some with it. Maybe they fixed this BaseCamp issue.
I plotted 4 separate routes in Basecamp, then, while the RV770 was attached to my Macbook, dragged and dropped the routes onto the attached RV770 and voila!! The Basecamp routes ended up on the RV770 under the WhereTo->TripPlanner->SavedTrips area.
So far, this unit has worked in all areas that I've had a chance to check. A Happy Camper here!
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:59 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
I had also read there was a BaseCamp issue and a few other issues. I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on the Garmin RV770, mainly because I have several other Garmins and well versed in their operations.
I've had ours a few days now and had time to explore some with it. Maybe they fixed this BaseCamp issue.
I plotted 4 separate routes in Basecamp, then, while the RV770 was attached to my Macbook, dragged and dropped the routes onto the attached RV770 and voila!! The Basecamp routes ended up on the RV770 under the WhereTo->TripPlanner->SavedTrips area.
So far, this unit has worked in all areas that I've had a chance to check. A Happy Camper here!
The issues I had with BaseCamp and the 770 are now resolved. An update (v4.7) to the unit seems to have repaired the problem with BaseCamp.