Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2016, 08:50 AM   #1

Gas on route 95

We will be making a spring time trip from Virginia to the Keys with our new to us Bounder and I'm wondering if anyone has any favorite gas stops along 95 that will accommodate a large GAS motorhome with a toad. I'm not sure if all gas motorhomes have the fill spot behind the rear license plate, but it certainly makes things interesting when trying to find a station that will accommodate them - especially since you can't back up. Also looking for stations in Florida around Miami before heading into the Keys. I do realize that I can use google earth to check out existing stations for access, but I was hoping to start a list of what people have already used and checked out.
Jfs999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2016, 09:24 AM   #2

That is why even we smaller coach owners use both GasBuddy and Google Earth. If you can't see what you want from overhead, use street view to look at it like you are standing in the road.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I find on 95 South of DC the Pilot/FlyingJs that have RV lanes are very accessible. You can either stop at one and pick up one of their service guides. There is also a "My Pilot' for smart phones. They list all the stores and which ones offer what services. Most of the ones that have RV lanes also have propane and dump stations. The prices for gas at the Pilot/FlyingJs on 95 south of DC is very competitive.

I don't know if your coach has a rear camera but I use mine to line up the rear with the gas pump. When the camera shows the gas pump coming into view on mine that lines the rear up with the pump. You may want to turn on the camera and have someone stand where the pump would be and see what you see. I don't travel with the camera on so I just turn on the flasher as I enter the fuel lane and that turns the camera on without fumbling with buttons or knobs. You always have to watch pulling out because the rear will swings out.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #4

Just came down from Virginia via Mt. Airy NC yesterday. Are you looking for specific towns to gas up? I could send you the stops I made, or just hit the Flying J's. The RV lanes make fueling a lot easier and departing is easier too. Pilots can be difficult to get in and out of with a towed.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
Just came down from Virginia via Mt. Airy NC yesterday. Are you looking for specific towns to gas up? I could send you the stops I made, or just hit the Flying J's. The RV lanes make fueling a lot easier and departing is easier too. Pilots can be difficult to get in and out of with a towed.
I'll look into the flying J locations, but I guess I was thinking what exits off 95 could accommodate large motorhomes
Jfs999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfs999 View Post
I'll look into the flying J locations, but I guess I was thinking what exits off 95 could accommodate large motorhomes
We have found that the more rural stations generally have more land, and hense more space around the pumps, often with the pumps parallel to the road with easy in out. In contested areas in / near cities, forget it.

In addition, many Flyng Js have "RV Island" on thier billboards as appropriate. Also note, note that Flying Js in more congested areas often do not have RV islands nor enough room to manuver a coach with a toad.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:25 AM   #7

There is a "RaceTrak" station in Homestead with lots of room.

It's the last one before the 18 mile stretch into the Keys.

Although the pumps are lined up facing the store, if you can get to the end pump, it's a straight thru out to the back entrance.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:46 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use Flying J whenever I can find one on my route. Access from the freeway is always easy since they are catering to 18 wheelers.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:34 AM   #9

We made a run from VA to Key West last Spring. We only stopped in Flying J/Pilot truck stops for diesel, until our last stop near Hollywood. As previously recommended, check their website for RV islands (they will have gas too) and target those locations. The Trucker's Path app is very handy for this too.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:37 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For the most part I use Flying J for gas (sometime, I'll use Pilot if they have RV lanes). I have My Pilot, Gas Buddy and Google Maps installed on my phone. My Pilot will indicate which Pilot/Flying J have RV lanes, propane, dump station and RV parking. There's a Flying J with RV lanes in Ft Pierce at Exit 131. (There's also a Blue Beacon there if you want to have your rig washed.) From there it's about 285 miles to Key West.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:36 PM   #11

Install the app RVparky into your phone and you will have all the gas stops you want all the places that you can overnight all the campgrounds and Wal-Mart's and it covers the complete country.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:50 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=Jfs999;3335499 I do realize that I can use google earth to check out existing stations for access, but I was hoping to start a list of what people have already used and checked out.[/QUOTE]

Here's one for your list: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-O...68254803218408
Old 11-21-2016, 08:18 AM   #13

I second Flying J/Pilot/Gas Buddy.
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:22 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I try to always use Flying Js. Keep in mind that they also have propane usually right at the pumps as well. They also have RV parking if the four wheelers haven't taken it.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas