Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2021, 08:38 AM   #1

Gas Shortages due to the Colonial Pipeline cyber hack????

Need your opinion. Now that the local and national news channels have blown this Russian cyber hack on the Colonial Pipeline wide open, there is a run on gas like I haven't seen in a very long time! We just took our motorhome to Sheetz in Fuquay Varina (just few miles from Raleigh, NC) and when we arrived we were beyond shocked! News channels telling folks not to panic or not to hoard gasoline just makes it worse! There were five to six cars deep at each pump. News channels stating not to drive unless absolutely necessary to do so! The Governor of NC has called a State of Emergency. The police were called to direct traffic off of 401 highway just to get cars out of the main traffic on 401 into the Sheetz parking lot! It took us 30 minutes to get out of the Sheetz parking lot just waiting on an opening to get the motorhome out of the parking lot! We are full on gas and our gas range is around 450 miles before the next fill up. We are headed to Ohio tomorrow for the first leg of our trip to visit our son that takes us to Illinois on Friday. We are spending the night in Ohio at Sun Valley Campground in Chillicothe, Ohio which is 450 miles from Fuquay. My question.....do we go or do we stay until this gas issue is resolved? How do we know if gas will be available as to travel through WV and into Ohio and then into Indiana and into Illinois? Anyone else experiencing this issue with the gas shortages in your area???? Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2021, 09:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasdau View Post
Need your opinion. Now that the local and national news channels have blown this Russian cyber hack on the Colonial Pipeline wide open, there is a run on gas like I haven't seen in a very long time! We just took our motorhome to Sheetz in Fuquay Varina (just few miles from Raleigh, NC) and when we arrived we were beyond shocked! News channels telling folks not to panic or not to hoard gasoline just makes it worse! There were five to six cars deep at each pump. News channels stating not to drive unless absolutely necessary to do so! The Governor of NC has called a State of Emergency. The police were called to direct traffic off of 401 highway just to get cars out of the main traffic on 401 into the Sheetz parking lot! It took us 30 minutes to get out of the Sheetz parking lot just waiting on an opening to get the motorhome out of the parking lot! We are full on gas and our gas range is around 450 miles before the next fill up. We are headed to Ohio tomorrow for the first leg of our trip to visit our son that takes us to Illinois on Friday. We are spending the night in Ohio at Sun Valley Campground in Chillicothe, Ohio which is 450 miles from Fuquay. My question.....do we go or do we stay until this gas issue is resolved? How do we know if gas will be available as to travel through WV and into Ohio and then into Indiana and into Illinois? Anyone else experiencing this issue with the gas shortages in your area???? Thanks!
We're in southern UT boondocking on National Forest land. Heading to town in a few to get groceries I'll post back when I see. I wouldn't think here but you never know. As my old algebra teacher used to say.... "People are weird creatures".
Old 05-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #3

Just got back from Cedar City, UT. Everything looked totally normal. No changes in prices either.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #4
NXR

I'm in Arlington, VA with my car today, near D.C. The Exxon station only had Super Premium for $3.70 a gallon. I paid it so I can get back home. An article said 7% of gas stations in VA are out of fuel. I don't know about other stations.

People fueling their cars were calling others telling them they had fuel at that Exxon.

Ray
Old 05-11-2021, 04:06 PM   #5

Quote:
The only areas affected are those that rely upon the pipe.

Other areas should see plentiful gas and lower gas prices as the refineries that feed the pipe try to get their gas into other pipes that are working.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:45 PM   #6

Here in Pensacola Florida it’s worse. MOST stations are out of fuel. We are being told it is a two fold issue. First is the pipeline being down. Second is the local main fuel storage tanks FAILED to meet EPA standards that took effect May 1st. So the local storage tanks are empty and all of the gas supplies are being trucked in from Jacksonville and other places. There are not enough tanker trucks to keep up with demand.

Lucky for us our toad is a Toyota Prius and I filled the RV up when we got home from our last trip, so I can siphon gas from the RV to the toad if I need to.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:46 PM   #7

I'm old enough to remember when toilet paper was in short supply.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Pittsburgh and west of ,like Ohio get there gas out of the Midwest pipeline out of Chicago or somewhere out there no shortage here.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:22 AM   #9

Saw this on the news this morning.

According to the current administration in Washington DC there is no shortage in the South East, apparently everyone in the SE is confused.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:32 AM   #10

Same scene here in Asheville NC. Pumps with bags over them because they have no gas, and lines of cars taking up traffic lanes waiting in line at stations that do have gas. My DP has about a half tank but I am only about 180 miles from home. We will make it home no problem, our next trip is in 3 weeks so I expect this issue to be resolved so we can keep our plans to travel again.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:34 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Already being discussed here.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/curi...sh-536339.html
Closed Thread

Tags
gas