RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #1

Carolina Campers
Grand Design Owners Club
Question Gatlinburg to southbound I-75 Route

Hello all!
My family and I are in Gatlinburg and will be leaving for North Florida on Sunday morning. We are making a loop so we will not be going back the way we came. We need to get to southbound I-75 from Hwy 321, just east of downtown Gatlinburg. Can someone recommend a good route for a big rig? I really don't want to go through the middle of downtown Gatlinburg with the rig to go north on 321 toward Pigeon Forge, unless that's the best way.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2020, 02:29 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like you are on the Pittman Center side of Gatinburg??

I will start by saying I haven't driven my coach on 321. But I have driven many times on these roads (and others in the area). I lived on Pittman Center Road for a time.

I *think* you have two options:

- East on 321 through Pittman center and Cosby to I-40 west through Knoxville, then split off onto I-75 south near Lenoir City.

- West on 321 to Pigeon Forge, 441 to Sevierville, 66 to I-40 west through Knoxville, then split off onto I-75 south near Lenoir City.

I would pick the route through Pigeon Forge. It's a bit of a tight turn in Gatlinburg to head toward PF, but not undoable. I think the Cosby route is longer, but also a more difficult drive.

Regards.

Chuck

Old 07-18-2020, 12:14 PM   #3

Carolina Campers
Grand Design Owners Club
Thank you so much! I think we'll do the 321 to PF. We'll be leaving early enough that the bad traffic shouldn't have started yet so maybe we can make that turn without too much trouble. I just hated to go north to go south but that is much better than some of these roads. We let Waze bring us in. BIG MISTAKE!!!
Old 07-18-2020, 12:21 PM   #4

I use to go to spivey corner for the hollowing contest when I lived in mamers
Nc
Kenaleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:46 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
This is definitely the route to take. I live west of Knoxville but know the Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg very well. And you definitely do not want to blindly follow waze or Google maps in the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreaming View Post
Thank you so much! I think we'll do the 321 to PF. We'll be leaving early enough that the bad traffic shouldn't have started yet so maybe we can make that turn without too much trouble. I just hated to go north to go south but that is much better than some of these roads. We let Waze bring us in. BIG MISTAKE!!!
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:36 PM   #6

Parts of I-40 south of where it splits off from I-81 are very, VERY twisty ! Max speed for trucks is 55 MPH and I would advise the same for anyone with an RV. The road itself is good, no shoulders in a few areas, few exits.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:48 PM   #7

Frequently stay at CG off of Wears Valley road in Pigeon forge. To get back to Alabama I go south on Wears Valley road toward Townsend and when we get to the intersection at the end of Wears V R turn right toward Maryville Tn and stay on that hwy thru Maryville Across the Tenn River at Fort Loudin Dam and straight on a few more miles to I-70 and head south. Bypasses all of Knoxville which I hate to drive thru..Usually some good fuel prices between the river and I-70 just have to look. Go slow for about the last mile of WVR a little steep and a few tight turns but not bad. Sorry I don't have road numbers but it's the middle of the night and my maps are in my trailer.

Tooth Doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route