Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2020, 01:03 AM   #1

Georgia to Colorado

Thinking about a trip to Ouray, CO. From Georgia, we will be taking either I-40 or I-70, and going through some big cities on the way. My wife is concerned about the rioting that is taking place all over the country and wondering if it is safe to be on the road at this time.
Laribee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2020, 05:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laribee View Post
Thinking about a trip to Ouray, CO. From Georgia, we will be taking either I-40 or I-70, and going through some big cities on the way. My wife is concerned about the rioting that is taking place all over the country and wondering if it is safe to be on the road at this time.

I must of missed the current news about rioting all over the country. There are a few cities where largely peaceful protests are still happening, but contrary to what you might hear, these folks aren’t targeting travelers or RV’ers for violence.

Use the perimeter highways and bypasses around the large cities and enjoy your trip. Ouray is a gorgeous area. We are headed there ourselves.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:35 AM   #3

We traveled from FL thru AL-GA-TN-AR-OK-NM-CO and WY. Spent 2 weeks at South Fork CO. We were on I40 much of the way and went thru some cities. My wife was worried about the rioting too and every city we passed thru I asked her if she saw any riots, not a one seen. Never saw a demonstration until we went thru some small town in OK, I think. There were maybe 15-20 people with signs in front of what looked like the town hall. We also saw lots of intact statues.

Now let me warn you that I40 in OK is awful, the Thump thump Thump pavement and not just I-40 their secondary roads are the same. They must have hired a Louisiana construction company to do their roads.

We spent a week in Ouray a few years ago, nice town and lots to do in the area.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:33 AM   #4

Quote:
I've been all over this Great Country and have yet to see any issues - But we have not turned on a TV in over 30 days so What would I Know - .

Please, just turn off the TV - get out - wear a mask - Wash your Hands - stay 6' away and enjoy the Country, it's crowded but Beautiful and IMHO very Friendly and Welcoming.

Ouray - we just left there last week (I think it was last week, but all of this country is so Beautiful it just blends together - ) - Truly one of the most Beautiful areas in the World - If you Love Rocks (I Love Rocks) has only a few rivals - Tetons - Glacier - Yosemite - so if you are worried avoid the Cities - Traffic is Bad - RT 36 from Hannibal to Colorado is Great - Good Roads and small towns with the Best of People. Not sure what you are driving but be sure it is Up For the Passes - as even the easy ones are Tough.

Diesel Pusher - Clean the Radiator - be sure the Shift pattern is good - engine/transmission brake is needed! if I-70 through Denver Is the Route - might look at 285 to Buena Vista then over Monarch Pass to Monarch and Ouray - everything in the Mountains is FULL - so unless you can get reservations.............- We stayed in Montrose, but the Drive everyday was Great and those Rocks are Beautiful from almost a hundred Miles .

IMHO, Just Do It!,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:06 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good info on this thread , but I'm a little more partial to and in favor of I-40. Not sure where you are leaving from in GA.

From LaGrange we go up to Anniston, AL and hit I-20 then run to B-ham AL, and catch I-22 to Memphis. Then we grab I-40 for our westward journeys. Like all interstates there are a few bumpy spots but nothing we can't tolerate. Can't think of a single city- (except ATL if you are from east of there) that I'd be concerned with.

I-40 now my preferred route east west route from west Georgia. The only really rough patch we've encountered in several recent trips is accessing I-40 at Memphis and it is only bad for a mile or so crossing the bridge over the Miss. Just slow and bumpy there.

Nothing wrong with I-70 except I don't particularly like dealing with St Louis, Nashville, and KC-- all big city traffic.

But its all enjoyable and have a fun trip!
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:19 PM   #6

Thanks!
we live in the Gainesville area of North Georgia so may try to catch I-40 in Waynesville. As to stops on the way, do you recommend any particular RV parks or do you boondock?
Laribee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks!
we live in the Gainesville area of North Georgia so may try to catch I-40 in Waynesville. As to stops on the way, do you recommend any particular RV parks or do you boondock?
If you are referring to Waynesville NC, that is way out of the way. Plus I-40 from Waynesville over to Knoxville is a "white knuckle" ride. I hate driving it when not pulling our 5th. Can't you work your way over to I-75 then I-24?

RV Parks - We just use RV Parky and find one that is 4 stars or better. The reviews are fairly accurate.

On I-40, you will encounter 10 big rigs for every 1 car. We just find one going 5-10mph under the speed limit and followed them.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:51 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unless you have to go to Waynesboro NC for some reason, I'd head west from Gainesville to avoid lots of mountain driving. Take I- 20 getting thru or around ATL and head toward Birmingham over toward Memphis on I-22. That keeps you out of Knoxville, Nashville and most of Memphis. Since you're in Gainesville I figure you know how to make it through or around ATL.

We don't boondock during hot summer months . I have to have my 50 amp plug and A/C running for summer survival in the heat. So we hit RV parks along the way- most all with pull through sites as we tow.

I'm not sure of your desired pace but this is how we travel towards Colorado. When we head towards Colorado we typically stick with this general route. With the exception of the first day out we usually stay between 300-400 miles per leg

Several good RV parks around Memphis- usually our first night stopover from LaGrange. We like EZ Daze in Southaven MS just south of Memphis. Sometimes we cross the river bridge on I-40 at Memphis to overnight. We consider staying at Tom Sawyer Miss. River RV Park in West Memphis, Ark a treat as the sites sit right on the Miss River. Watching the barge traffic go by is enjoyable. Its just off I-40 as you cross into Ark. south of the interstate on the river. But you have to check ahead for Tom Sawyer as its sometimes flooded if the river is running high.

After that we hit Checotah/ Lake Eufaula KOA west of Checotah, OK right on I40. Nice KOA and convenient stopping point- easy in and out.

From there if we are headed to the Ouray region keep westbound on 40 to Albuquerque, NM. If thats too far a reach we enjoy a nice little KOA at Tucumcari, NM on I-40. But there are numerous RV Parks around Albuquerque. From there there are several routes heading north to choose from to Ouray

I'd urge you to use Campground Reviews (campgroundreviews.com) or a similar app to map out your route and places to stay. I used to just pull into an RV Park for a night to stay, but nowadays CG's things are weird and they can get crowded and full fast and I want to know I have a spot when I land for the evening so we always make reservations
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks!
We stopped at 5 COE campgrounds. They are cheap, generally have a lot of room in a site, are on the water and just excellent campsites. Especially if you have an federal access or old age pass. We spent multiple days at each and I think the total bill was about $100, $12 a night at most with our access card.

However most of them are w/e not FHU so you will have to use the dump site.

Be careful and look at the map of the campground. Imagine getting into that particular site. We had problems at, I think, Canadian COE where 90% of the sites are easy in or pull thru. We got one of the worse tho. Right on a sharp curve with other sites right across from ours. This applies to any park you can reserve a particular spot not just COE.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado