Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #1

Getting around NYC

We will be traveling from Dover,DE to Long Island for a week at WIldwood State Park ( wedding). Looking for advise getting around the NYC mess. I know there are tolls on every corner but I need the best route since it appears there are several low bridge restrictions. We are Tiffin Allegro

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated
ezridermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
We once took our 1st RV to a wedding that was even FURTHER out on the island than Wildwood SP! And that was before GPS's!

Once you'll get to Wilmington, DE, you'll have three basically equal options:
1. Stay on I-95 through Philly, cross over into NJ and take Rt. 1 for about 20 miles to the NJ Turnpike
2. Cross the bridge and get on the NJ Turnpike for its southern start (when NJ TPKE traffic is bad in southern NJ, the road stops dead)
3. Cross the bridge and get on I-295 which parallels the NJ TPKE but you'll have to take Rt. 1 to get back to the TPKE after it veers off.

If you have a co-pilot with Google Maps and a smart phone, you can decide what option to take.

Now NYC.
I would take the Turnpike to the George Washington Bridge UPPER LEVEL to the Cross Bronx Expressway. REMEMBER IN NY, STAY OFF ANYTHING CALLED A PARKWAY.

The Cross Bronx starts off at I-95 and then you want to go to I-295 over the Throgs Neck Bridge. This will lead you to the Clearview Expressway (still 295) and then to the Long Island Expressway (LIE) which is I-495.

You may have to take the LIE all the way out to Rt. 25 and back track a little. Rt. 46 is the William Floyd PARKWAY so I'm not sure of any low bridges. Maybe there is a local 'Lon-Guy-lander' who can help out with that.

Safe travels!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #3

Words of wisdom.....Don't Do It.....Fly in for the week or take a car and stay in Motels, if you must do the RV thing stay in Jersey and take a Toad onto Long Island. Sorry but the whole GW Bridge , Parkway, Traffic, Toll thing around here is a mess, good luck...
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
The advice from RV There is very good. William Floyd Parkway is not a parkway in a New York - Long Island sense. You can drive trucks and RV's on it with no low bridges. Make sure you stay off all of the other true parkways: Southern State Pwy, Northern State Pwy, MeadowBook Pwy, Cross Island Pwy, Bronx River Pwy, etc!!

Take the William Floyd (county road 46) North to the end. It 'TEEs' with NYS Route 25A. Go right on Rt. 25A (East). After you pass a McDonald's & Hess gas on the right continue for about 1 mile. At the next traffic light you should take the fork LEFT onto Sound Avenue. This fork is just feet past a Velaro Gas Station on the left. Go to the next traffic light and turn left (North). Continue to the entrance to Wildwood State Park on the right. Long Island is not bad if you know where you're going. I bet the wedding reception is at East End Catering, which is very close to Wildwood. Make sure you pick some fruit at Lewin's Farm on Sound Ave. or at least buy some fresh fruit there. Have fun!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #5

My folks did it a few years back, took the long spendy way, the ferry from New London, CT to Orient Point LI, NY and back.

When I asked about it at the time my Dad answered "What price do you put on your sanity?".

Smart old fart he is......
Old 08-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I can't comment on southern NJ but what RV there said about North Jersey and the GW bridge is spot on .. Once you are on the upper level of the GW bridge, you only have about 10 or 12 miles of possible heavy traffic till you get to the Long Island Expwy
( I 495 east ) .. All is well signed and relatively easy to read . Stay to the right , take it easy . An extra second or two while the locals whiz on and off the road will not spoil your day.
LI CAmper gave you good local directions .
Try to avoid rush hour times and you will think of this trip as an adventure and an accomplishment.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #7

road conditions in NYC near the G Washington bridge are terrible. Will rattle and destroy your rv.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #8

In South Jersey, take 295 North as recommended (when you go over the Delaware Memorial Bridge into NJ, the roadway splits into 295 & the Turnpike. Just stay on 295), but don't go all the way up to Route 1 - get off at Exit 60 (I-195) east, and you can pick up the turnpike a few miles up the road, it puts you at exit 7A. Route 1 is bad and can be an awful drive. 295 is a great highway that is in fairly good shape and is 65MPH for most of it.

(We live off Exit 47 on 295 in South Jersey, I drive that road every day to work. We also live off Exit 5 of the NJ Turnpike, we take that a lot too.)
Old 08-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #9

Thanks for all the Information

The tolls are killer! I have mapped out all possible ways to get to Wildwood State Park. One route I am exploring is NJT to I278, across the Verannzo Bridge, out the belt Pkwy east to I678 (VanWyck Expway), up to I 495 (LIE) and out to the park.

If I have done this right and there are no height issues on the Belt PKWY East I can avoid the GWB and Throgs Neck Bridges. I have been using an IPad app "Low-Clearance" and it looks like I can get to the VanWyck without issue.

Has anyone done this?
ezridermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
I'm not to sure the Belt is a good idea. Anyone know the answer to RV's on the belt?
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Only cars are allowed on the Belt Pkwy!!. Take the GW Bridge to the Cross Bronx Expressway to the Throggs neck Bridge. Then Go straight south to the LIE. From there go East to THE William Floyd Pkwy. If you travel thru there either late morning to 2pm or after 6pm, you will be fine. I just did the reverse and took the LIE west to Clearview Expressway North to the Throggs Neck to Cross Bronx to the GW Bridge (upper level only with propane)to Route 80 west to go to Niagara Falls. I am there now. The trip was no big deal. I prefer to leave Long Island on a Saturday or Sunday when I travel that way. But I would go on any weekday if I had to. The Cross Bronx road surface is chewed up due to construction,but it not too long a distance. I have driven worst roads in Maine that weren't under construction.I love Maine anyway!! Take your time and you'll get thru before yuo know it. Many RV'ers take that route. Good luck!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
I forgot to mention: DO NOT TAKE THE VERAZZANO BRIDGE!!! From there you must take the worst road I've ever been on: The BQE (Brooklyn Queens Expressway!! I hate driving this road in a car. it has some of the largest potholes you will ever see. THe merging of lanes and poor traffic management plus aggressive drivers make it a nightmare. Trust me on this!
Old 08-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
LI Camper pretty much summed it up. I would add when on the Throgs Neck Br, stay in the middle lane and do not get off where you see the majority of the cars going, as that is the Cross Island Pkwy (a major no no). Go straight and it becomes the Clearview Expwy. In about 5 miles you will see the ramp for the Long Island Expwy (495). As soon as you get on the ramp you will see a left exit for the LIE East. Take it approx 40 miles to William Floyd Parkway (which is the only parkway in NY that you can take a truck or RV on). From there follow directions above. One additional tidbit is that there are a few inaccurate height signs on the Clearview And the LIE. Disregard them as trucks, buses, and RVs fit through with absolutely no issues. I am 13’2" and never have an issue.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Keep in mind that they are replacing the deck on the GW Bridge and there are nighttime closures:

Alerts & Advisories - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

I TOTALLY agree with staying off the Belt and the BQE.

Tolls are a fact of life when driving in NYC especially a large vehicle. You can sign up for EZpass to get a discount.

Here is a link to a brochure that spells it out nicely and have some great pics for added emphasis!
https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/ope...ber%202009.pdf
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote