Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2020, 05:48 PM   #1

Getting around the San Francisco Bay Area

I need help choosing a route through or around the San Francisco Bay area. I’m currently in Las Vegas headed for Coos Bay, Oregon. I’m about to cancel several reservations and abandon my initial planned northbound route due to snowstorms forecasted between Susanville and Redding a few days from now. So instead I’m going to head west out of Vegas toward Bakersfield, and then pick up Hwy 101 north of San Francisco and take the coastal route into Oregon, avoiding Ashland and Grants Pass, which might also be impacted by the same snowstorm. Granted, weather-guessing isn’t an exact science, especially a week out, but I’m simply not willing to take the risk.

I was stationed in the Bay area (more than 30 years ago) and know enough not to attempt to drive a 43-ft 5th wheel through the city and over the Golden Gate. That ain’t happening. And I’m hesitant to take I-580 up the East Bay as well, although that’s what Google Maps and RV Trip Wizard want me to do. Copilot GPS and the RV LIFE app want me to take 880 vice 580 from Hayward through Alameda and Oakland before passing Berkley, Richmond, and across the bridge into San Rafael. Yikes! Alternately, I can avoid some of the East Bay congestion by taking I-680 through Concord, then 780 and 37 around Vallejo and work my way over to 101. Or I can take the long way around through Antioch, Rio Vista, Fairfield, Napa and Sonoma. Suddenly I’m craving a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon.

In any case, I’m getting conflicting information from various mapping apps. I’d rather hear from someone who has been there, done that, so I’d appreciate any advice you can offer. I’d also love to hear your ideas and reasoning behind choosing either I-5 or Hwy 99 northbound out of Bakersfield.
Radio Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2020, 05:58 PM   #2

I-5 to Hwy 20 west to 101 north.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
I need help choosing a route through or around the San Francisco Bay area. I’m currently in Las Vegas headed for Coos Bay, Oregon. I’m about to cancel several reservations and abandon my initial planned northbound route due to snowstorms forecasted between Susanville and Redding a few days from now. So instead I’m going to head west out of Vegas toward Bakersfield, and then pick up Hwy 101 north of San Francisco and take the coastal route into Oregon, avoiding Ashland and Grants Pass, which might also be impacted by the same snowstorm. Granted, weather-guessing isn’t an exact science, especially a week out, but I’m simply not willing to take the risk.

I was stationed in the Bay area (more than 30 years ago) and know enough not to attempt to drive a 43-ft 5th wheel through the city and over the Golden Gate. That ain’t happening. And I’m hesitant to take I-580 up the East Bay as well, although that’s what Google Maps and RV Trip Wizard want me to do. Copilot GPS and the RV LIFE app want me to take 880 vice 580 from Hayward through Alameda and Oakland before passing Berkley, Richmond, and across the bridge into San Rafael. Yikes! Alternately, I can avoid some of the East Bay congestion by taking I-680 through Concord, then 780 and 37 around Vallejo and work my way over to 101. Or I can take the long way around through Antioch, Rio Vista, Fairfield, Napa and Sonoma. Suddenly I’m craving a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon.

In any case, I’m getting conflicting information from various mapping apps. I’d rather hear from someone who has been there, done that, so I’d appreciate any advice you can offer. I’d also love to hear your ideas and reasoning behind choosing either I-5 or Hwy 99 northbound out of Bakersfield.

My vote would be 680. Avoids big urban areas, freeways in decent shape for CA. Depending on time of day 37 can be slow.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:07 PM   #4

Hwy 20 is a viable option. A year or two ago I was researching the I-5 to Hwy 101 connection and was warned about Hwy 36 and Hwy 299 due to very tight turns, but if I recall correctly Hwy 20 was acceptable, even for a big truck and long trailer. Thanks for reminding me!
Radio Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:21 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
There will be no snow on the Golden Gate....
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:16 PM   #6

Hi I lived in the Bay Area for years and now live near Redding. I’ve pulled my fifth wheel all over many times. If you want to get over to 101N, the best road is 37. Take 580 - 680 - 780 - 37. The only sketchy part is 780. This route you bypass all the heavy traffic and you also bypass all the torn up roads closer to the city.
Leftys is offline   Reply With Quote