Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2022, 05:39 PM   #1

Getting to West Yellowstone from the East

For quite a while we have been wanting to get back to yellowstone and really take our time poking around, taking photos of geysers (which you have to wait for), etc. This summer we are hoping to stay a week or so in West Yellowstone as a base for that exploration).

So - coming from the east (minneapolis) we might be tempted to punch straight through from Buffalo/Worland/Basin/Cody, and then through the park itself. However, we did that last time, and I really dont feel like taking the time to go through the Bighorn Mountains, and then get caught up in the slower speed limits of Cody, and especially dont want to risk a traffic jam in the park itself while driving our big rig. I know it is doable and technically shorter, but traffic and slower roads will likely add significant time .... and we really just kind of want to get to West Yellowstone, get settled, then go into the park in our toad.

So I am looking at a more northerly aproach: I94 west bound, then cut south to West Yellowstone. Bing maps wants to say the shortest route is there is US 191 directly into West Yellostone .... but it looks like this is all mountain driving. I am not against mountain driving .... but my guess is this road is smaller and slower .... maybe not the best if we just want to get to our campground and not sightsee (though I guess the views are really good....).

The alternative I see is picking up US287 in Norris (not sure whether is is better to get there using MT84 or US287, either from I90 (my guess is MT84 is pretty reasonable???). US287 looks pretty reasonable and flat and straight virtually all the way into West Yellowstone.

For those that have done those routes .... am I way off in my thinking? (again, I am not against mountain driving .... I just kind of dont want to deal with the potential extra time and concentration when I just want to get to w. yellowsone and get settled.....

Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2022, 06:13 PM   #2

191 from Bozeman, MT to West Yellowstone is an easy drive... not mountainous. I'd recommend this for you.

287 east of Virginia City, MT has 6-7% grades downhill going east to 191 for 10 miles. It's very doable if you gear down appropriately.

If you're going to do more of the western area/mountains that a week at West Yellowstone then I'd recommend getting the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers'. It gives good descriptions of the interstates and secondary highways with issues.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
191 from Bozeman, MT to West Yellowstone is an easy drive... not mountainous. I'd recommend this for you.

287 east of Virginia City, MT has 6-7% grades downhill going east to 191 for 10 miles. It's very doable if you gear down appropriately.

If you're going to do more of the western area/mountains that a week at West Yellowstone then I'd recommend getting the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers'. It gives good descriptions of the interstates and secondary highways with issues.

Yeah, I saw that potential grade on 191, but it’s a short stretch (like I said, grades don’t bother me - been doing this for a while [emoji4]). I’m surprised 191 is easy … on bing maps it looks like it is continuously winding around between and around mountains… I have actually been through a lot of that general area .... but just not that particular stretch. On this trip after Yellowstone we are heading down (mostly on interstate and a few lesser roads) to Great Basin, so wont need to be concerned about the roads ..... *but* for some reason I have not heard of that mountain directory for truckers - probably worth having "just in case".

Having had mechanical problems (and one tow) in the past, I tend to keep to the interstates (and better cell service and diesel service options) when going long distances, but I do get off onto the back roads occasionally, so such a directory would be nice (and given the bad driving I experienced last summer over by Little Rock/Memphis/Nashville, I might well be seeking out more "quieter" roads in the future, especially as I spend more time becoming more comfortable with the mechanical condition of my current rig (one year into that one..... Just getting to know each other :-) )
Old 04-05-2022, 09:49 PM   #4

YouTube has videos of just about all the scenic drives. Here is a short one of 191 from Bozeman to West Yellowstone. There are also some longer 1 hr videos on this drive. You're driving between mountains not on them and they're gentle curves... like a river. The road is about 70 mi. and runs along the Gallatin River. Very scenic. BTW... the Mountain Directory has one for the eastern mtns., also. (The grade you mentioned is on 287; not 191).

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:45 PM   #5

Oops, yes, I should have said 287 for the grade. Sorry about that
Old 04-05-2022, 10:47 PM   #6

Beautiful video. Thanks

Tags
yellowstone