Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #1

Girls Road Trip: Need routing help MD-MN

We are leaving the boys behind and travelling from Maryland to Minnesota! We have 3 Moms and 3 10 Year-olds in a 35' Motorhome. I can drive this thing by myself, but have serious reservations about driving it so far when I don't know the roads.
  • Are there any tunnels or bridges to be concerned with?
  • Do you have ideas for family-friendly campgrounds that are easy to get in and out of?
  • We are thinking of driving home from Minnesota throught the upper peninsula of Michigan. How are the roads?
Thanks so much for any input! I am ok with driving the MH but have serious issues with tunnels or places where the cement retaining walls are right on the lines of the road.

Thanks for the help!
Amy

Instead of trying to find the meaning of life, live a life with meaning
amy5708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #2

Bridges to be concerned with ... the Mackinac bridge is really high ... and is rather intimidating ... however there is good news ... the State of Michigan provides drivers to drive your rig across if you do not want to drive it yourself.

I can't think of any other bridges (on Interstate highways) that should be of concern to you.

I think you will always have construction zones where there will be narrow lanes and / or concrete barriers ... just slow down and take your time ... and remember if you get the front end through the back end will follow ...

Have a good time ladies

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #3

When you go South from Michigan into Ohio, take U.S. 23 and bypass Detroit. You will go around the West side of Toledo and miss most of the city traffic. The Ohio Turnpike connects on the West side of Toledo (Maumee) and will take you East.

This route will avoid all of the HEAVY traffic. Flint, Saginaw, Ann Arbor, and Toledo will not be asignificant challenge. I would avoid these areas during rush hour traffic if you do not have experience with the MH in city situations. Send me a PM if you have further questions. DO NOT TAKE I75 through DETROIT!!!!!
jojolima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #4

routing

take hwy 2 into upper michigan. it is a pleasant, scenic drive. good rv parks at rapid river.
good truck lube at gladstone.
tom wilson
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:17 AM   #5

Thanks for the info!

I drove home from Chincoteague, VA by myself this past weekend in "The Beast" and did just fine, even on the bridge, which was down to one lane, and the causeway.

I think I'll be white-nucklinig it in spots, but still looking forward to the trip.

Thanks for the tips!

Amy

Instead of trying to find the meaning of life, live a life with meaning
amy5708 is offline   Reply With Quote