Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2022, 11:44 AM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
Glacier NP Vehicle Length Restriction Question

I know Glacier NP has a vehicle length restriction of 21ft bumper to bumper.
We took our Ford F350 to the North Fork part of Glacier and we were not checked for our vehicle length. (we're just over 22ft long)
Has anyone been on the Going-to-the-Sun Road in a truck longer than 21ft? I know I'd be taking a chance, but I'm curious just how strict they are.
DMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2022, 12:28 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Why does the restriction exist?

How many oncoming motorists will you encounter on your crossing?

Why would you think it's OK to knowingly violate the restriction?

Can you 'get away with it'?

Probably, yes. Maybe not.

US 2 has plenty of room to accommodate you.

JMHO.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-13-2022, 12:39 PM   #3

We just left Glacier Bay today, and we are 50'. No problems . . . . Oh, wait, we're a BOAT!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 01:34 PM   #4

I have absolutely NO experience with that road. . . . but why let that stop me? [emoji849] [emoji16]
From things read there's a few, or more, hair raising, uh, hairpin turns. Longer vehicles make for more troubles on that road.

Find out more before going.
TexasJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:48 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
We took our F-350 SB there last year on day trips - no problem. Because the road can be narrow in spots with steep drop offs I think it is the RVs they are trying to keep out, not the pick up trucks.

Finding a place to park - that's a whole different story. Get there early. Or try to get signed up for the hop-on hop-off buses.
Old 07-13-2022, 02:55 PM   #6

General consensus from the Montana forum - duallies are not a problem…
Here is a screen shot from a thread about the Going to the Sun road a year ago…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	292B52F4-E559-49D3-B931-BE0963118531.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	370931  
MikenDebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:56 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMacLeod View Post
We took our Ford F350 to the North Fork part of Glacier and we were not checked for our vehicle length. (we're just over 22ft long)
Has anyone been on the Going-to-the-Sun Road in a truck longer than 21ft? I know I'd be taking a chance, but I'm curious just how strict they are.
We were on it today riding our Spyder. We seen several duallies on it, no issues until a Red Bus and a dually meet on the narrow section. The Red Bus stopped to let the dually get past.
Did not see any location where they actually measured the vehicle. But there are numerous signs nothing bigger than 21ft in length or assembly.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:18 PM   #8

https://youtu.be/ZJ8_l2I3A-I

This video in the first minute shows the problem is rock walls in the narrow part. A long RV side would come real close or maybe hit the wall in the curves.

Might end up with a “Darlinton Stripe” on your RV.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:55 PM   #9

We’ve got a current generation Ford dually, and I jumped at the chance to ride up to the pass from the west side on an e-bike a couple days ago when the road was still closed to motorized traffic… because I really didn’t want to drive my dually on the road.

For what it’s worth, best decision ever, got to stop whenever and wherever we wanted to marvel at the scenery from up there. Hard work, even with the e-bike, but totally worth it.
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:15 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Normalization of Deviance

The montanaowners.com folks may think it’s OK to violate the Glacier NP published restriction and by inching across the centerline you might avoid kissing the rock walls, as a Montana native who has driven the Going To The Sun highway dozens of times (WOOHOO, it opened today!), the dozens of motorists that you meet during your crossing of the Logan Pass, may not be as thrilled as you are about avoiding prosecution for a violation of published park restriction.

Have you considered the effect you’ll have on the dozens of motorists you'll meet? Many of those folks are terrified by that road. I’ve seen them, pulled over at the various pull-outs, literally shaking in terror by the rock walls on one side and the sheer, thousand foot drops, on the other side. It is a spectacular drive for those who are not terrified. Meeting an oversized vehicle can certainly add to that terror.

In my past, as an aircraft mishap investigator, we recognized a concept described as “Normalization of Deviance”. Briefly, normalization of deviance suggests that successfully doing something that is, arguably stupid, reinforces the belief that it’s OK to do. Hey, I (or, somebody I know…or…read about on a forum) did that and it worked before, it must be OK to do again.

It’s not.

Drop, the trailer and pull in those mirrors. Enjoy the drive over Logan Pass, both ways. Go back and pick up the trailer and be on your way. I know, it's more miles...but...you're here for the scenery. Enjoy.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-14-2022, 04:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMacLeod View Post
Last time we were there, over 10 years ago, we were in our Crew Cab, long bed, F350 (also 20' +). The biggest problem on the Going to the Sun road was if you forget to pull your side view mirrors in. We hit another pickup that forgot to pull their mirrors in. Busted the mirror.
MevetS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:04 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
The montanaowners.com folks may think it’s OK to violate the Glacier NP published restriction and by inching across the centerline you might avoid kissing the rock walls, as a Montana native who has driven the Going To The Sun highway dozens of times (WOOHOO, it opened today!), the dozens of motorists that you meet during your crossing of the Logan Pass, may not be as thrilled as you are about avoiding prosecution for a violation of published park restriction.

Have you considered the effect you’ll have on the dozens of motorists you'll meet? Many of those folks are terrified by that road. I’ve seen them, pulled over at the various pull-outs, literally shaking in terror by the rock walls on one side and the sheer, thousand foot drops, on the other side. It is a spectacular drive for those who are not terrified. Meeting an oversized vehicle can certainly add to that terror.
Take care,
Stu
Yesterday, numerous people had the left side wheels over the yellow line toward us. That was even the small cars! They would see a motorcycle, or in our case the Spyder, and ease the vehicle away from the edge wall.
The great thing about the Spyder on that road, is if you want to stop, you do not allot of room to park.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 10:48 AM   #13

If you think that road is interesting … try the pikes peak summit road…

Fwiw, iwould listen to and obey the published restrictions … they are there for a reason and not arbitrary. As said above, they are there both for you and for the other guy.

It is precisely for roads like this that my toad is a mini cooper manual transmission. I can stay away from people going the other way who are too wide, go down steep grades while barely touching my brakes, and can almost always find a small parking spot no one else can fit into [emoji4]
Old 07-17-2022, 05:16 PM   #14

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Austin View Post
General consensus from the Montana forum - duallies are not a problem…
Here is a screen shot from a thread about the Going to the Sun road a year ago…
Well, we did it, we drove our dually both ways on the Going-to-the-Sun road. To be honest with everyone, I would not recommend driving a dually on the road. The issue is many people tend to drive over the center line to stay away from the drop-off if they're driving east bound, or stay away from the rock cliff if driving west bound. Yes we made it ok but we did have to drive with our mirrors folded in and stop a couple of times in the narrow sections to let other large trucks pass.
It can be done but if you have an option to take a smaller vehicle you would probably enjoy the drive better.
DMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote