Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2016, 11:41 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Kind of a side note here, but there are much better ways to accomplish what the Border Patrol is supposed to be doing rather than harassing thousands of American citizens everyday.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #72

Alpine Owners Club
If you are not hiding anything why do you need an attitude?
Old 11-09-2016, 09:22 AM   #73

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only complaint I have of the check points is that they put the one on I8 in CA at the bottom of a long grade. Takes a lot of gas to get up to speed leaving that one.

Glenn
Old 11-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
How does the guy at the border or inspection station know you are a citizen, got a tattoo on your forehead? Just answer what is asked nothing more. We go thru several every year and no trouble. Normal goes like citizens? Yes where to and from? Texas Yuma Anyone else with you? NO whats the curtain for? To keep us cool or warm. Have a good day. Or just pull up, sun glass's off window open and a wave through.
These guys are god and can really make your day, I'll vote to test the system not be a martyr.

LEN
Old 11-10-2016, 03:59 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
If you are not hiding anything why do you need an attitude?
As was said by someone else, the fact someone is not hiding anything should not require him to give up his rights. Also, when a person objects to the police overstepping a persons' rights, it should not be called a bad attitude.

I present myself and my property so that I don't trigger any signs of guilt and I don't get a second look. However, I do object to questions that aren't relevent to immigration.

My intent is to not allow the government to enter my business where they are not allowed without probable cause.

Retirement allowed me to cross the border over a thousand times in the last several years so I know what they will ask and why. I object to questions that are posed to solicit information of my life outside the scope of immigration and I voice my objections.

I have an idea where the lines are drawn and I think both teams need to play inbounds. I'm not hiding anything.

I don't think there's anything wrong with respecting law enforcement, I do, but I won't give them my rights. I just play by the rules. I hope other citizens don't give away those rights either.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #76

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
As a service to other senior retirees, if you have crossed the border 1000 times in recent years, it would be helpful to the rest of us if you tell us what questions you refuse to answer because you do not think they are appropriate. I have never been asked anything more than citizenship, and never been asked for a search. I have never even been asked to prove my citizenship or ownership of the vehicle. Perhaps I just look fat, dumb, and happy, so I must be an American?
Jim Hamilton
Old 11-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #77

Steve11669: 1,000 times crossing in several years? Are you a drug runner?
Old 11-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Steve11669: 1,000 times crossing in several years? Are you a drug runner?
jeeez... they are called mules now. I have been across the border many times and through check points. I have been questioned, x-rayed, interviewed, pulled over at gunpoint, searched (no cavity) with total respect. I am grateful for these men and women who try to cut down on the crime that is effecting our country. I could not do it. Answer their questions and follow instructions........and have a nice day!
Old 11-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #79

Border patrol checkpoints.

We do not go into Mexico, but we do a lot of driving on the I-10, roads and back roads of Arizona very near the US/Mexico border. We encounter the Border Patrol checkpoints often. As a matter of caution we have our US passports with us but have never been asked for them. We roll down all of our windows as we enter the checkpoint so that they can see what is in the cab of the truck, they have never even asked to open the tailgate. They ask if we are US citizens, we say "yes", and they tell us to proceed on.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:00 PM   #80

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I get searched all the time coming back from Canada. Won't take MH across any border, and just avoid going across in my vehicle any more.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:30 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesham View Post
As a service to other senior retirees, if you have crossed the border 1000 times in recent years, it would be helpful to the rest of us if you tell us what questions you refuse to answer...
Jim Hamilton
Sure Jim, I happy to give you more info. If you review my post, I did not say I refuse to answer anything. I did say I have respect for law enforcement and in fact, as I pull up to the officer I always say good day sir/ma'am and continue with whatever is needed.

I did write that I will voice an objection if the question is not about my immigration status and this does not happen frequently. For example; I have spent allot of the last several years near the San Diego border crossing due to my youngest son being in school in that area. I lived in Tijuana for years and crossed daily if not a couple times a day.

My vehicles are not registered in CA but in another state and I have had some agents ask me why that is so. I have only been asked that maybe less than 15 times over years but it is not relevant to entering the US. After the second or third such question, I began to ask them why that fact is relevant to my citizenship status. Usually the topic is dropped.

I have no issue providing my status and proof but I prefer not having any officer/agent asking about my business unless he has legal cause to. He can ask but I voice my objections respectfully.

I don't look for an arguement with the agents, I just prefer they focus on immigration. One agent told me I needed to register my cars in Mexico since I lived there. Not true and giving false info or threats is unprofessional.
Another agent told me if I drive on a CA Road, I have to pay CA taxes. That's ridiculous!

I don't cross as often for the last couple years and can't remember the last time I was questioned about my state of residency.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:30 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post

I don't look for an arguement with the agents, I just prefer they focus on immigration. One agent told me I needed to register my cars in Mexico since I lived there. Not true and giving false info or threats is unprofessional.
Another agent told me if I drive on a CA Road, I have to pay CA taxes. That's ridiculous!

I don't cross as often for the last couple years and can't remember the last time I was questioned about my state of residency.
Aren't you paying CA taxes when you purchase fuel in CA? Isn't that enough?!?
Old 11-13-2016, 08:45 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to all who contributed.

The staff feels the OP's question was answered and the thread has run it's course.

THREAD CLOSED
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Closed Thread