Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to M zoll
Going thru or around Atlanta,Ga

Dose anyone know how far it is around Atlanta on the West side?
We will be coming from the North going to Florida. I use to go thru town but don't like all the traffic. And is there a lot of construction on the bypass?
Thanks for any help on this.
B&W Companion 5th wheel
M zoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We took the west bypass (285) a week ago Friday and there was construction. About a 15 minute delay. We were heading to 85 south, so it was the practical way to go.
We have not been through city lately. It used to be not too bad on weekends. Avoid downtown connector on Mondays and Fridays and any rush hour (7-9:30 and 4-7)
If I were going 75 south, I would do the west bypass (even with construction) unless on weekend.
I worked in downtown Atlanta for 25 years and got very familiar with the traffic.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #3

I too used to live in NE Atlanta and a big reason we left was the traffic.

I agree completely with Larry. You're okay to go straight on through except during rush hours.

Listen to AM750, as they have the traffic reports every 6 minutes during the day. If they have any wrecks or slowdowns on "the connector," go I-285 around the west side of the city. Otherwise, you're good to go I-75 all the way.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #4

We always go through, just stay in a middle lane since the far right sometimes does a turn only. Tried going around but seems it is just as bad traffic and takes longer most times. Either way you might occassionally may end up in a parking lot on the freeway
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
The mileage difference between I-75 from Cumberland thru the city and I-285 around to I-75 S again is not that great. The advantages of not being tied up in Downtown Atlanta is. I'd go around.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
If I remember right the distance is extra is about12 miles. I have been both ways and go thru downtown if I can miss rush hour. The road around town is pretty rough so I try to schedule my self to miss rush hour.
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
One way is about as bad as another! I HATE that place!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #8

We always travel thru Atlanta and always on the HOV lane. Never any problems ever. I went around once, I am not sure what got into me but I never did it again.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #9

Between 10:00am and 2:00pm shouldn't be to bad going straight through or between 9:00pm and 5:00am. Weekends can be a bear if there is a football game, baseball game, basketball game along with many other weekend events and conventions. Just tune to WSB AM750 or 95.5FM for up to date traffic reports and check the overhead signs for possible accident tie-ups. Just remember when listening to the radio, the "connector" is the I-75 route between I-285 on the North and South side. The outer loop is the counter-clockwise direction and the inner loop is the clockwise direction on I-285. I've lived in the Atlanta area for over 20 years and don't go downtown except to eat my years supply of grease at "The Varsity", worlds largest drive-in restaurant.

Actually some of the worst tie-ups are south of Atlanta from Tara Blvd down to McDonough, GA, not as many exits to get off the interstate. AM traffic northbound and PM traffic southbound are a test of patience.

I stay off of Interstate highways as much as possible. I'm retired and where ever I'm going will still be there when I arrive. A chance to see scenery other than billboards and relax. No tight grip on the steering wheel. US-41 was the route to Florida long before the Interstate was bult and is still a good way to travel.

I went to NW Houston in the spring and traveled less than 10 miles in Interstate highway, roundtrip, over 1600 miles. Same going to Ocala, FL, 1000 mile round trip with no Interstate travel.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:35 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
We always travel thru Atlanta and always on the HOV lane. Never any problems ever. I went around once, I am not sure what got into me but I never did it again.

What is the "HOV" lane? I have seen it but didn't know what is was for.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
High Occupancy Vehicle. It's to 'reward' drivers carrying more than themselves on the highway. Often will have a '2' or '3' on the sign to signal how many people must be in the vehicle to use the lane.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
High Occupancy Vehicle. It's to 'reward' drivers carrying more than themselves on the highway. Often will have a '2' or '3' on the sign to signal how many people must be in the vehicle to use the lane.

I would have thought that was just for buses, etc!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
No, especially during rush hours it's to encourage carpooling and reducing the number of vehicles on the road. This link takes you to a Washington State trooper's response.

What kinds of vehicles are allowed in the HOV lane? - Seattle 911 — A Police and Crime Blog

Some states restrict weight but allow buses, each state has their own rules.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
No, especially during rush hours it's to encourage carpooling and reducing the number of vehicles on the road. This link takes you to a Washington State trooper's response.

What kinds of vehicles are allowed in the HOV lane? - Seattle 911 — A Police and Crime Blog

Some states restrict weight but allow buses, each state has their own rules.

Looks like a contradiction. He says that vehicles over 10,000 lbs are not allowed, but then says RV's are OK! Sounds to me like MH's are not allowed.