Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just pulled up the HOV rules for Georgia and they don't mention any weight limit!

https://dps.georgia.gov/high-occupancy-vehicle-lanes
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #16

Another alternative to go around Atlanta from the North is I285 east to I675 to I75 south. Puts you out below worst of traffic avoiding downtown, airport, and most heavy areas. Through town works usually non-rush hours. An RV in rush hour is almost as bad as a doctor with an airplane (lol).
n8558w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
OP-- 22 Miles around the by-pass on the West side to 75 south-- there is no HOV Lane on the by-Pass, either way don't get caught in the HOV lane in your Motor Home. You will get a ticket.
Best Times for the by-Pass--- there aren't any- just stay in the middle lane as the exit for I-20 west gets backed up, you'll see. All Lights on! Take your time you'll do fine.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I go through Atlanta a couple times a year, 10am to 3pm is a good time frame to shoot for the downtown area. I lived there for a year and did not find any advantage to I285. I have never seen an RV in the HVO lanes, nor have I ventured there, better be prepared to run 70 or more if you venture onto it .
Old 12-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #19

My husband went around Atlanta recently and had no problems, just make sure you do not do it around rush hours.... commuting, or lunch hours. He had no construction problems last month... November. We live in south GA so we travel the bypass often. Good luck!
Dixiepuddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
OP-- 22 Miles around the by-pass on the West side to 75 south-- there is no HOV Lane on the by-Pass,
Quote:
either way don't get caught in the HOV lane in your Motor Home. You will get a ticket.
Best Times for the by-Pass--- there aren't any- just stay in the middle lane as the exit for I-20 west gets backed up, you'll see. All Lights on! Take your time you'll do fine.

Chuck, how can they give you a ticket if there are no restrictions on MH's in the rules I posted above?

I wouldn't use the HOV lane anyway because we only drive 60, but just curious. Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Each state has their own peculiarities about HOV. I know from traveling in Maryland a lot their HOV lanes are restricted to certain hours and are even gated. It does seem to be a contradiction in Washington State, but I saw the weight limit explained as 10,000 lbs EXCEPT for RVs. I don't find any summary of all state or regional HOV rules, you have to check state by state or region. The rules are confusing, I saw that on I-95 they estimate 1 in 3 are violators. Oh, and in many areas a 'green' car, one with high mpg or electric, can use the HOV lane with driver only.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #22

There are still HOV lanes on I-75 (for now) through Atlanta but not on I-85 North from Atlanta. The former HOV lanes are now HOT lanes (high occupancy toll). To use the HOT lane you must first set up an account for a "Peach Pass" for $20. If you don't have a "Peach Pass" don't travel in the HOT lane. Then if you have 3 or more living persons in your vehicle you are not charged a toll on your Peach Pass. Less than 3 persons (used to be 2 persons) will be charged (transponder and cameras) a toll that varies by the number of vehicles using the lane at any given time. More vehicles, higher toll rate (gets rid of the riff raff). Plans are to add HOT lanes on I-75 in Cobb County north of I-285 in the future. I believe bids are out for the change but construction hasn't began yet

Since HOV lanes are mostly federally funded the feds set some of the rules. Most HOV's have an axle restriction of 2 axles but apparently that doesn't apply (yet) in Georgia as best I could find. I thought I had seen signs about an axle restriction but didn't see it on their web site.

One more thing, anywhere there is 3 or more lanes vehicles with more than 6 wheels are restricted to the 2 right lanes (unless there is a left exit). Buses and motor coaches are exempted. More than 6 wheels is classifed as a truck.

I never did understand the traffic engineers answer to congestion is to add another lane. Why don't they build limited access secondary roads and ease the Interstate traffic problem.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:09 AM   #23

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Chuck, how can they give you a ticket if there are no restrictions on MH's in the rules I posted above?

I wouldn't use the HOV lane anyway because we only drive 60, but just curious. Thanks!
I think the above explanation from KT4 is accurate. The only time I've seen an HOV Lane in Atlanta is coming in from the north side on 85 and the west side on 75-it's not usually backed up like all the other lanes, I drive the 2nd lane from the right until my turnoff on 285 around.
No offence to you Georgians but the best thing about Atlanta is seeing it in my rear view mirrors.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #24

I have taken the HOV lane on I-75 numerous times thru Atlanta often passing police and have never been ticketed. HOV lane states "cars and buses with 2 or more occupants".
Will continue to do so as it takes about 20 to 25 minutes to oass through.