Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #1

Going Thru Yellowstone via Cody

We are planning a family gathering near West Yellowstone on July 5. We have a campground reservation there for July 5-10. I am coming from Iowa. My plan has been to go to Cody before the 4th and drive through Yellowstone on the 4th or 5th. I have called for road conditions and find that the East entrance is open only from 8 pm to 9 am daily at the present time.

I would hate to try this and then find I have to drive way south to get to West Yellowstone because I can't go thru Yellowstone. I have two questions:

1. If the road is open, is the drive thru the east entrance and over Sylvan pass ok to do with a 36-foot Journey pulling a cr-v? I drove it over ten years ago in a van and it was rough due to construction. I hope it is ok now.

2. Do you think the east entrance restrictions are likely to be removed by July 4 or so?

Thanks for help.

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
We drove from Cody through the East gate about two years ago in mid July with a 40' MH and toad ...it was no problem at all. There was a small bit of snow on the roadside in a few places. I would think the road will be open by July.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:54 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The road closure you speak of is due to heavy snow this past winter and the present avalanche possibility. Surely by July 4th this will be resolved. They also give a "way around" the closure NW out of Cody that doesn't look a great deal longer.
If open, the Cody/East gate road is ok. We were 40' MH & toad...
Know nothing of the NW route.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #4
paz

We drove our 37' gasser with the toad from Cody through Yellowstone a couple of years ago. There are some grades, but there are plenty of turnouts to pull over and let traffic pass. Allow plenty of time, and you'll be OK.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
We drove this in 2007,08,09. This is a good road. Make time for a stop in cody and stay at Ponderosa campground. Tour the wild bill cody museum, it is fantastic.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #6

We just exited Yellowstone on the road into Cody on June 17. It is a two lane road that was open and relatively easy to drive going slow. There is one section in the park that is controled by a read light but that is not a problem. Outside the park the road is one of the most beautiful I have seen so far. I was heading east and had a 20 mile per hour tail wind. You might not be so lucky. I am staying at the Ponderosa Camp ground for a week. This is the best CG in the town. I have seen the others. There is an Indian Pow Wow going on this week end. It is the neatest thing I have seen in a ling time. When you plan to come there will be a 4th of July Rodeo Stampede going on and camp spaces will be hard to find. Make reservations now.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #7

You should also know that the weather is starting to get better so I expect much of the snow on the ground will be gone by the time you get to the park. I hope we bump into each other out here. We will be exploring the park through the 7th and then be heading to Mt. Rushmore. The wild life is very active. A grizzly mom and her 2 cubs walked directly in front of my car no more than 20 feet near Fishing Bridge. I'll be back in the Tetons on Friday for a week.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote