Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2021, 11:42 AM   #15

i get it...our dog also travels with us. if we’re going to be away for more than 3-hrs we find a local kennel or doggie day care. there are at least three that are suppossed to be near the park. i found them using google. another idea to consider if your truck measures too long or wide.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2021, 11:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
If the road narrows enough, I'll be in the middle of it playing chicken. There won't be many things on the road bigger than me.
I know you're saying this in jest , but be aware the Tour Buses always have the right of way .
So , when push comes to shove , it's us that will be backing up .
Ask me how I know !
The drive is worth the risk , besides I don't think it will be too much longer before the Park shuts it down to private vehicles .
Like Denali and Zion .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
i get it...our dog also travels with us. if we’re going to be away for more than 3-hrs we find a local kennel or doggie day care. there are at least three that are suppossed to be near the park. i found them using google. another idea to consider if your truck measures too long or wide.
Highly recommend. A dog really limits you on the things you can do in a national park. You normally can't take them on trails either. Be sure to read every park's website on pets.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:16 PM   #18

Been through there a couple times. You can make it but it’ll be tight and tough to find parking at any of the viewpoints. Typically very crowded that time of year.
HD539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:30 PM   #19

Sorry that this is not a direct answer to your question.

We wanted to go 2 years ago, but we were too early in June and it was not open yet. We have been wanting to go back.

I had the same problem with a 2016 4 door long box dually likely being right at max. We just purchased a HDT and now I am 30' long so there is no way we can take that.

After some research and a phone call to the park we found out that we can use our street legal SxS. We have small group of us going in July. I am really looking forward to it.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:47 PM   #20

It’s a narrow road. I’d recommend taking a tour from West Glacier and leave the truck parked.
Ranger John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
As an alternative the park has free shuttle buses going to the top with stops along the way to get out and take a walk on a trail. Pick up the next bus that comes along.

Another option is taking the tour with the Red Buses. Very worthwhile not only for the road but for history and driving other area of the park.

https://www.glaciernationalparklodges.com/red-bus-tours

.... and yes, the park is very strict on the size of your vehicle so measure it closely before you try to drive it so you're not disappointed.
We will be in the area the last week of July. How early should we book our Red us tour and which one do you recommend?

3715 Ventana - 2013 CRV
JakenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
Sorry that this is not a direct answer to your question.

We wanted to go 2 years ago, but we were too early in June and it was not open yet. We have been wanting to go back.

I had the same problem with a 2016 4 door long box dually likely being right at max. We just purchased a HDT and now I am 30' long so there is no way we can take that.

After some research and a phone call to the park we found out that we can use our street legal SxS. We have small group of us going in July. I am really looking forward to it.
HDT??
Old 01-28-2021, 06:25 PM   #23

Quote:
HDT??
Heavy Duty Truck, typically Class 7 and 8 trucks. There is even a section of this website dedicated to the topic.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201219_111458_HDR.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	354.0 KB
ID:	316149  
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:27 PM   #24

danke schoen
Old 01-28-2021, 06:28 PM   #25

Quote:
HDT??
Heavy Duty Truck - might be like a simi - tractor converted for towing a 5th wheel ???

Just a Guess,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakenJo View Post
We will be in the area the last week of July. How early should we book our Red us tour and which one do you recommend?
I'd recommend booking as soon as you have final plans made. We stayed on the west side so we were able to easily tour that area on our own. We chose the east side tour - Crown of the Continent as I'm reading about it today. I don't recall the exact name of the tour years ago but it seems like that's the one we had.

Here's some interesting information on the red buses:

https://www.glaciernationalparklodge...tours/history/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:58 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We were at Glacier 15-22 August in 2019 and it was very crowded. It will be similarly packed when you are there unless Covid continues to have its impact. We stayed on both the East and West sides while there. 1st , the East entrance has been closed because of Covid since last year. Be sure to check if it will be open by the time you want to go. When we were there, we took the Red Bus tour from the East side, and used the shuttles on the West. If you want to drive the Going to the Sun to say you did, then what I say won't matter. But my recommendation is that if you really want to see the grandeur of Glacier from that road, then take the Red Bus. You can probably drive it yourself, but why compromise the experience. Just saying.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I'd recommend booking as soon as you have final plans made. We stayed on the west side so we were able to easily tour that area on our own. We chose the east side tour - Crown of the Continent as I'm reading about it today. I don't recall the exact name of the tour years ago but it seems like that's the one we had.

Here's some interesting information on the red buses:

https://www.glaciernationalparklodge...tours/history/
Thanks for the great info. Old Red buses look very cool. We are staying on West Side in Columbia Falls. Will sign up as soon as allowed. Went to site and clicked book and it just said tours for 2020 closed. I guess they don't open reservations for a bit.

3715 Ventana - 2013 CRV
JakenJo is offline   Reply With Quote