Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2021, 09:17 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Going To The Sun 2021

I found a thread (2006) that asked the exact question I'm going to ask (but it was 2006).

I've heard there are restrictions on vehicle size / length for going up the "Going-To-The-Sun" road. I believe my 2018 GMC Denali 4 door crew cab long bed dually is 21' long. Would we be able to travel all, some or none of this popular road. Plans are to be there Aug. 30th - Sept. 3rd.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2021, 09:24 PM   #2

Here is the official information, https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gtsrinfo.htm I really doubt anyone is going to get out an measure your length if you are close to this, instead the big issue for most all RV's is height, as there are some rock overhangs over the road in places.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:25 PM   #3

google is your best source...

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gtsrinfo.htm
Old 01-23-2021, 09:29 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Here is the official information, https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gtsrinfo.htm I really doubt anyone is going to get out an measure your length if you are close to this, instead the big issue for most all RV's is height, as there are some rock overhangs over the road in places.
I'm confused. I don't intend to pull a 40' Fifth Wheel RV up that road. I just mean the truck. Thanks for the link / brochure, but I'm asking for opinions of people who have driven it in a similar truck.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:30 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
I'm asking for opinions of people who have driven it in a similar truck.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:43 PM   #6

no need for confusion. the information in the link makes it clear....max length for any vehicle is 21' bumper-to-bumper. hope this helps you. measure carefully. you should be able to get mfg length and width specs easily enough.

"Vehicles, and vehicle combinations, longer than 21 feet (including bumpers) or wider than 8 feet (including mirrors), are prohibited between Avalanche Campground and the Rising Sun picnic area parking. Vehicle and vehicle combinations over 10 feet in height may have difficulty driving west from Logan Pass to the Loop, due to rock overhangs. Stock trucks and trailers are able to access Packers Roost on the west, and Siyeh Bend on the east."j
Old 01-23-2021, 09:52 PM   #7

I have driven it in a mid size SUV, but not in a dually pickup truck, though it has been over 10 years, but off hand I don't recall anything that should be an issue, there are some switchbacks though, which I suspect is the reason for the length limits. If your actual length is 21'3" or something I really doubt anyone will take issue with it, if you show up in an extended van at 23-24 feet that might be another matter.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:57 PM   #8

Was there in September 2020.
YES THE RANGER HAS A TAPE MEASURE, AND YES THEY USE IT....
Rig in front of us was told no.... Was turned around...
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:09 PM   #9

As an alternative the park has free shuttle buses going to the top with stops along the way to get out and take a walk on a trail. Pick up the next bus that comes along.

Another option is taking the tour with the Red Buses. Very worthwhile not only for the road but for history and driving other area of the park.

https://www.glaciernationalparklodges.com/red-bus-tours

.... and yes, the park is very strict on the size of your vehicle so measure it closely before you try to drive it so you're not disappointed.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
I found a thread (2006) that asked the exact question I'm going to ask (but it was 2006).

I've heard there are restrictions on vehicle size / length for going up the "Going-To-The-Sun" road. I believe my 2018 GMC Denali 4 door crew cab long bed dually is 21' long. Would we be able to travel all, some or none of this popular road. Plans are to be there Aug. 30th - Sept. 3rd.
Pretty sure in your case the answer is NO.

This is some good info here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going-to-the-Sun_Road.

If it is a heavy snow year it may not open till July, keep that in mind - Beautiful Drive, and as TwoGypsies says - just take the bus - See More - Enjoy More.

We had a 26' GMC Palm Beach Motor Coach ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_motorhome) and
drove it before the restrictions were in place - It was an Interesting Drive to say the least!

Good link - https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gtsrinfo.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=glac...iw=994&bih=464

The park is truly one of the most Beautiful spots in the World - what ever time you have allowed - Double it and you will still need more time, Yes it is that Good.

Best of Luck and enjoy your time there.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:12 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
As an alternative the park has free shuttle buses going to the top with stops along the way to get out and take a walk on a trail. Pick up the next bus that comes along.

Another option is taking the tour with the Red Buses. Very worthwhile not only for the road but for history and driving other area of the park.

https://www.glaciernationalparklodges.com/red-bus-tours

.... and yes, the park is very strict on the size of your vehicle so measure it closely before you try to drive it so you're not disappointed.
We've got our puppy dog with us.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #12

We rode over the going to the sun road in one of those old red buses that are at least 20 ft long. So if you are smaller than one of those buses you will likely be OK.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:10 AM   #13

We drove through in our 2008 F350 SRW crew cab long bed in 2013. There were two points in the road where I quickly pulled the auto mirrors in because one of the tour busses was partially in our lane and we had a rock wall leaning into our lane as we passed each other. Our mirrors out and fully extended are as wide as a dually, so I think you’ll be fine. You just need to pay close attention at some points where the road narrows.

It is a beautiful drive.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:14 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar2856 View Post
We drove through in our 2008 F350 SRW crew cab long bed in 2013. There were two points in the road where I quickly pulled the auto mirrors in because one of the tour busses was partially in our lane and we had a rock wall leaning into our lane as we passed each other. Our mirrors out and fully extended are as wide as a dually, so I think you’ll be fine. You just need to pay close attention at some points where the road narrows.

It is a beautiful drive.
If the road narrows enough, I'll be in the middle of it playing chicken. There won't be many things on the road bigger than me.