Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2021, 10:49 AM   #1

GPS Choices

OK...who likes what GPS system..noobie here 05 Monaco Windsor..
looking for recommendations / experiences with GPS systems
Garmin seems to be a contender ????
Dusty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2021, 11:46 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Used to love my Rand McNally but don't buy one just for the lifetime map updates. It's what ever they want to call the product lifetime then they just stop producing map updates. The disclaimer is in the fine print but "Lifetime Maps" is in the really large print.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:11 PM   #3

We have used Garmin for several years. We currently have the 770 RV. We really like it.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:27 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just upgraded to the Garmin RV 780 and like it a lot. It will even work with your smart phone and display radar weather on your route.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:41 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We have been using a Garmin (660) for the last 4 years. Good system and we are thinking of upgrading to the 780 in the next few months.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:42 AM   #6

I was looking on line at some of the GPS systems and when posters decide they will upgrade from one to another, why and when do you make that decision? How far out of date are the maps? I know my area is stamping out new subdivisions every other day but the main roads have changed little in 20 years.

I'm wondering because the price of some of them does make one pause.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:56 AM   #7

I'm newly to the Garmin 780 for RVs/trucks, bought from C'field. I gave up on Magellan due to lousy support and have various Garmins in other vehicles. Magellan defines "lifetime" as 5 years, IIRC.

While I'd have preferred the 8" or 10" displays in pricier versions, neither offered the FWD-looking, recording camera, which I deem essential, given the loonies 'sharing' the roads. I fabricated a PVC custom mount to raise it enough for a useful view, after a futile online search.

This newer series has capabilities I'll likely never use; the campground search not comprehensive.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:09 PM   #8

Garmin, Dezl in MH with a Garmin Nuvi in the toad
Old 04-15-2021, 12:15 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
How far out of date are the maps? I know my area is stamping out new subdivisions every other day but the main roads have changed little in 20 years.
Most Garmins come with LMT. that's lifetime map updates and traffic warnings. They update often and all you have to do is plug into your computer and they update automatically.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:03 AM   #10

Or get a Garmin 890 which has built-in WiFi. No need to connect to a computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Most Garmins come with LMT. that's lifetime map updates and traffic warnings. They update often and all you have to do is plug into your computer and they update automatically.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:17 AM   #11

We used Co-pilot for years but got frustrated with the routes that were borderline size appropriate and frequently illogical. We switched to the Garmin 785 which has an embedded front facing camera that provides lane departure and impending collision warnings. We tested the Garmin routing against the Co-pilot on our last trip and the Garmin route choices were much more aligned with what we would have selected using our old paper maps.
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:07 AM   #12

Is there anyone out there using the Garmin RV 890 GPS -- is it any good?
Jayco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:11 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a trucker's 890 and returned it. It really wasn't meant for RVs. I then purchased an RV 780 and so far it is a much better choice. It has a lot of features that pertain just to RVing.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:54 AM   #14

I tend to go Garmin, we bought a 780RV a couple of years ago and it has served us well. Several newer offerings.

One thing is NEVER trust a GPS system.

Someone somewhere programed it with a set of parameters you might not agree with or like. Learn how to put in waypoints to adjust your trip to go where/how you wish.

We tend to do our trip planning on Google Maps first then crank up the Garmin to see if they agree and adjust with waypoints as needed.

Let me give you an example;
We live on the NW side of Fort Worth and travel to Louisiana several times a year. Both Google and Garmin route me through downtown Dallas, bad idea. I add a waypoint on I-35w near I-20, it routes me all the way down to the bottom of DFW and then across on 20. This is by far the easiest and safest way to get across DFW.

Know your route before you go.

Tags
gps