Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2021, 05:56 PM   #1

GPS for RV's

Is Garmin 780 still the best choice for RV's? I don't need cameras or bluetooth or anything too fancy, just a good GPS with height and weight alerts that will keep our 34' Class A with toad out of trouble. DW runs Google maps as well, but since we can't always count on cell-phone coverage we need something more reliable.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2021, 08:06 PM   #2

Got back to this too late to edit my original post, but one of things that confuses me is why anyone would want a dash cam built into their GPS? Is this so you can record your travels for YouTube, to show your insurance company that you weren't at fault in the wreck, or what?
Old 02-03-2021, 09:30 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'm using the Garmin 770 and love it. I agree that there is no need for the dash cam in the GPS . I have a separate dash cam. I don't need redundancy
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:40 PM   #4

The Truckers Garmin "Dezl" works well for me.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Thanks. Trying to decide whether the truckers Dezl model or the RV specific would be better. Don't think I really need the RV park info as we usually plan that in advance, but you never know. Can't see spending $350 for an RV GPS when the trucker's units are available for as little as $220 (refurbished).
Old 02-04-2021, 11:07 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have the 770 and it's worked well for us. The one fault I have found with it is you enter the gross weight of the RV, but you never enter in the weight per axle. So it does not check weight limits restrictions per axle.

I have several times come across roads with weight restrictions rated per axle. Like 6 tons per axle limit. Which my rear axle exceeds that limit but garmin did not catch it.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:27 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I've got the Garmin 890 (upgraded from the 770) & still love it. We started out with a Magellan, went to a couple Rand McNally's & have now had 2 Garmin's. For me, the Garmin is much more user-friendly than the other brands (of course they're old so technology has advanced which probably makes the newer one easier) & I really like the large screen on the 890 as it's very easy to see, even from a distance.

I never cared for in-dash navigation devices....whether in a car or an RV. I feel they're a waste because they cost $$$$ to update. We've never used the GPS in our Phaeton & never updated it. I much prefer my portable with free lifetime updates.

Everybody has their favorite. You just have to see which best meets your needs.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:31 PM   #8

Thanks for the comments. I've searched some previous GPS threads and have seen lots of useful comments on various models, but nothing too recent. In any case, the consensus seem to be that Garmin is the one to beat.

I have an older Garmin car unit that's nearly ten years old now. It looks like the newer ones have the same basic interface, so it will be familiar to me. The newer units seem to be a lot of money for what you get, and I assume it's because they're giving "free" lifetime map updates now. In other words, you're paying for them up front.

One thing I never liked about the one I have is it doesn't easily give you the ability to change the route if you don't like the one it picked for you. You can change preferences to try to trick it, but you're still stuck with whatever route it picked unless you add a bunch of stops along the way to force it to where you want to go. There's nothing as simple as drag and drop to change the route like you can do in Google maps.

Also, I understand that Garmin RV units will prevent you from taking a certain route due to height and/or weight restrictions, which is definitely a good thing, but they don't tell you why or even where the low clearance/weight limit bridge is. Seems like this would make it hard to know if there's a valid reason for what might seem to be an out of the way route or whether it's just a bug in their data that picked a crappy route.

I'm leaning towards the Garmin RV780, but $350-$400 seems like a lot of money for something only marginally more useful to me than my old $100 car Garmin.

I've played around with CoPilot a bit too, but it didn't really grab me, and with their annual subscription now the price advantage over a period of years has really gone away.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:40 PM   #9

Save your $$$
I recommend this. It has a 1 yr warranty
Big screen.
GPSs are overpriced. This will work great.
I have the built in Rand Mc Nally RV GPS in my RV because it came with it. It’s just as useless as the rest.
If I needed one this is the one I would buy.
https://www.buydig.com/shop/product/...es-Refurbished

Sometimes they have it on sale for $115
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:03 PM   #10

That looks like a decent unit for the money alright, however I've already ordered a new Garmin RV780 for $299 (from NewEgg). That's $100 off list and a good $50 less than the best price I'd seen on a new unit, so I went for it.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
That looks like a decent unit for the money alright, however I've already ordered a new Garmin RV780 for $299 (from NewEgg). That's $100 off list and a good $50 less than the best price I'd seen on a new unit, so I went for it.

Unless your computer challenged, I suggest BaseCamp, which is a free download from Garmin. BC takes a while to learn but offers a lot too.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:16 PM   #12

I agree with ByeTheWay above about using Garmin BaseCamp. As he says, it has a steep learning curve, but it is a powerful navigational tool. Ive used it for years planning motorcycle trips, especially when you want to modify Routes for certain waypoints, roads, sites, detours etc. It also allows you to do your route planning on a computer or PC or tablet, and then share with your GPS or with other people.

The Garmin 780/785 etc RV series (which I own & use) does offer some features their std GPS units do not, such as routing avoidance for input size & weight Restrictions, it offers RV trip planning tools and a directory of RV campgrounds and parks.
Other features such as screen size, traffic and dash cam can be selected or not. They too had a 7” model on sale a few weeks ago for $299 and it included free lifetime map/data updates.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/66...n/010-02228-00

I’ve been told the DEZL models use the same maps and routing logic of the RV series but offers more truckers services vs the RV Services and Camping/Park directory’s.

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #13

Angry NEVER Magellan, again

Been using a Magellan with "lifetime maps" for some time.

Their support sucks.

BTW, lifetime means 3 years. despite my never being able to update.

Time for a new Garmin!
Old 02-15-2021, 11:47 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Maybe for u but it took me way out of the way several times - that's why I got a Garmin designed for RV"S
rream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, rvs