Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #1

Smile GPS, Garmin, Apps, Basecamp

I have spent the last couple of days looking up GPS info on a number of RV Forums. There's no shortage of opinions on which method or unit one could use to plan an RV trip.

From what I can tell, users fall into 3 categories, those that use a dedicated GPS (Garmin, TomTom, Rand McNally etc.), those that use an app of some kind (WAZE, RV Planner, etc), and those who still prefer "old school" hard copy maps and atlases.

Thought I would just share my thoughts on the subject.
I fall into the "dedicated GPS" category, and Garmin is my unit of choice.
Background: I was in the "mapping business" for 45 years, retired since 2011.
I've used a Garmin device since the Street Pilot 2610 came out about 2005.
Current models I use are the Garmin DriveSmart (for the toad) and the RV760 for our MH (Class C, 29' Four Winds 5000).

In my search, I noted with interest those who said they have at one time or another been "mislead" by a GPS unit. Indeed, so have I. But I've learned from my mistakes. If you get up the morning of your trip and plug in "Point B" as your destination, and hit the road, you'll likely run into a problem. Better to do some pre-planning (so I've found - easy to say when you're retired!).

I now use Garmin's free Basecamp program to plan even the simplest trips. Even those I've done many times and could do with NO map help, I use my GPS anyway. The display tells me what I want to know: my speed, the posted speed, what's coming up, when my next "time point" is, when my arrival time is etc.

Basecamp DOES allow (contrary to some posts on some Forums - though they may be outdated) the input of your RV "essentials": length, width, height, weight and allows you to select which kinds of roads NOT to take you on: from gravel to Interstate.

I suppose all this is available in an app for your phone, and that seems to be the way a lot of people are heading. The apps cost money and use up at least some data, and if you're OK with that, the process will work fine. People are somewhat "religious" about their choice (think beta vs vhs etc.) and I say use whatever gets you where you're going in a safe and efficient manner.

I'd like to hear from users from any of my 3 "categories" and see what's the current usage and expectations for your "mapping" choice.

Thanks!
O LLOYD
O Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Until recently, towing trailers, I've just used the iPhone on the dash, and checked it's route against AllStay's Camp & RV app to make sure I had no low bridges.

With the purchase of the motorhome, the dash is now a tad further away, and even with my big size iPhone, I'll have a hard time reading it. So .. I went back to a dedicated Garmin GPS. I purchased the RV780 with the large screen. It accepts RV size inputs, and is supposed to route you around those low bridges, tight tunnels, and undersized roads. The RV780's display is larger than my phone, and made to be seen from a motorhome dash.

Now, it's still an idiot for looking places up, but there's an app that pairs it with the phone via Bluetooth, and I can send locations over to it from the phone via that app. It's got some nice features for finding stops for food and gas along the route.

I use RV Trip Wizard website to do my research, then use the GPS for the routing (of course, double checking it).
Old 09-04-2020, 04:11 PM   #3

Red Wolf:

I'm envious of your RV780, although we get by just fine with the RV760 as the dashboard isn't that far away in the Chevy Class C. Wondering if you ever tried Basecamp to do your routing, then transfer to the 780. Some people have found it to be a total PITA, and I have to admit, it took some time to get used to it.

I looked at RV Trip Wizard but was loathe to pay for something I could get for free.
Thanks for your reply. Appreciate the insights!

O LLOYD
Old 09-04-2020, 04:31 PM   #4

I too have been using Garmin since the 2610 and others on my Goldwing years ago. I always plan my route on Basecamp, using shaping points to make it go the way I wish.

On my current GPS (Nuvi 2595), I have a RV profile set, which I told it my speeds and also that I did not want gravel roads. Last night I was making a route and it would not go the way I wanted. I could see the off ramp between two highways on the map. I went to Google Earth and I could see the paved off ramp.

I had a thought and changed my profile from RV to Driving and then it routed like I want. Obviously, Basecamp read the off ramp as gravel.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:48 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I've been using Basecamp along with an Garmin RV 660 going on 6 years now. I would agree that Basecamp isn't the most intuitive tool and it did take a while for me to arrive at a routine with it that works well. That said, I really like the way it's working for me now.

I tend to do initial planning with Google maps and use that to identify my primary route and fuel stops. Street View is a great way to check things out ahead of time - like making sure the pumps are lined up the right way for bringing the rig in and out, etc. I add each fuel stop or other major stops along the way as individual waypoints in Basecamp. Then I build a Basecamp route for each major destination and include all the needed fuel stops or other majors stops in the order they will occur. I like the ability to include date/time information on the routes so you can have a good idea in advance of expected arrival times at each stop in the route.

Finally, I combine multiple routes into a Basecamp list that will encompass the whole trip. I keep all these trip lists in Basecamp even after we've done the trip. That way if we decide to do one again all I have to do is clear the history off the RV 660 and transfer the desired list and we are ready to go.

Once I've got the Basecamp list set I use the transfer feature to send all the included waypoints to the RV 660 where they will show up under the Saved Places section. On travel days I will select the waypoint for the days final destination first, then once underway I will add each upcoming stop as a "Next Destination". Once the stop is completed and I'm underway again then I add the next stop and so forth. Along the way we will often use the search along route feature to find other stops that weren't included in the original planning and add those as "Next Destination" if we want to include them.

I do like using the GPS any time we are rolling, regardless of how many times we've done a particular route. However, we do carry a paper map of the western states in the glove box and I tend to study new routes with Basecamp and Google maps ahead of time so that I have a pretty good idea of where we are going and what to expect.

I like finding places we'd like to go someday and doing the basic planning and route building so there are quite a number of lists now in Basecamp for future trips.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:53 PM   #6

We bring a laptop along anyway so I prefer pc nav software of which there are no current versions. So I use a combination, I use RVTW for route planning, it does have a 'included in the price, copy of phone software: RVLife but I have not used it yet. RVTW is very flexible and has many features. So it works great as a planner. I have Allstays but used it twice I think in 87 days.

Now for in truck nav I use Streets and Trips 2015 which is the last version. I have the MS software too but it was killed in 2012. We use S&T for nav and while it is frustration on occasion, mainly because it is very slow to adjust to changes in position. It gets us to the vicinity of our target location. Most of the time I have my wife use google to navigate the last 10 miles or so since S&T is unreliable at that point.
I will give RVTW android app a try on our next trip in October to see if it will do the work of both. That big 15 inch display is very nice to have perched between the seats tho.
I have heard of another software called CoPilot but have heard few comments about it and none of those were complementary. There is another dead software package out that had a truly awful nav package but it had fantastic minor road mapping for FS roads and such.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:56 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I’ve been a Garmin user for about 15 years (maybe more). Still have a fully functional 750 (spare? I keep it updated). Used a 2595 in our motorhome(s) for several years, then this current motorhome has in-dash Rand McNally (don’t use it, don’t like it, do keep it updated however, what a dorky process). Recently got an RV770, getting used to it.

So the 750 is a spare.
The 2595 is used in the toad.
The Rand McNally is there in the dash, turn it on maybe twice a year.
The RV770 is used in the motorhome.

Must say the RV770 is different than what I’m accustomed to ... reckon I’ll get used to it over time. Wish I could change the stock voice to what I’ve used for years on the 2595 ... “Jack” ... and still get full functionality. He’s easier for my old ears to hear.

Have played with BaseCamp ... used Streets&Trips back in the day, sad it’s gone. Really haven’t used BaseCamp enough to become proficient. Seems it might take more skill (patience?) than what I have.

Recalculating.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:15 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Lloyd View Post
Wondering if you ever tried Basecamp to do your routing, then transfer to the 780.

I looked at RV Trip Wizard but was loathe to pay for something I could get for free.
I'll give Basecamp a look, wasn't aware it existed.

I'm an early adopter of RVTripWizard. I've had an account with them from the beginning. It's not the expensive, and they keep improving it.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:15 AM   #9
dp7

I use Basecamp & Garmin 770 for all of my trip planning and navigation. The learning curve was a little longer than I would have liked, but now I am quite comfortable with it.

I like Basecamp because I can tailor it to include the data that is important to me. I have also started making custom icons to make Basecamp more user friendly. For instance I have all of my fuel stops show in Basecamp with each chains's logo.

Since this system is self contained I can do trip planning even when I am in locations without reliable internet service. That is the main reason RVTW was a non-starter for me.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:01 AM   #10

Retired Fire Service RVer's
we use Co Pilot rv edition on a Samsung tablet that doesn't need internet service to operate. The 10 inch screen makes it easy to see for the driver.
mdka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:43 AM   #11

Wow, great insights everyone!
sahall: nice to meet someone who goes clear back to the 2610. What a beast that was!
I know what you mean about Basecamp and its map data. I found a street here in Calgary that showed as a dead end (at a very low underpass) when indeed the road kept going.
All told though, Garmin seems to have a good handle on map data and you can send them errors and omission so that helps.

ttavasc: my process for creating a trip is similar to yours, using google maps, street view, adding fuel stops etc., and making "lists" in Basecamp. But I think I do the "trips" differently. It seems you're saying you have a new "trip" for each "major destination" and then pull up each of those in turn as you travel.
My trips are likewise split up into (say) days, but I just call up that trip and tell the 760 to start at the next "waypoint", and turn her loose.
Sounds like you have the same "addiction" to BC as I do. I too sometimes just create a route to see where it would take me, and then move things around to see different scenarios. If any of the Fourm people here have a route they'd like done in BC, perhaps they could send it to me. I'd love to take a crack at it!

Agesilaus: we kept a laptop with Streets & Trips on it handy, and even used it for awhile after they stopped support. But we, like you, found that without updated maps, it became more of a pain to use than anything.
I looked at CoPilot but it has a cost and I'm too cheap fiscally responsible to pay, since a Garmin unit isn't exactly a budget unit.

SeeTheUSA: likewise, we keep our Garmin StreetSmart to use in the toad, but I'll often download the same "trips" into it and use it side by side with the RV760 when we're on longer trips.
... Even having the same data and mapsets, they'll sometimes provide complimentary information that we occasionally find helpful. We just turn the volume down on one or the other.

Red Wolf: for sure I would look at Basecamp. Watch the videos that pop up and start with a very simple trip. I was frustrated at first and almost gave up.
I have a "cheat sheet" in MS Word that I created as I went along and still refer to it if I haven't been using BC for awhile. I'll be happy to send it to you if you'd like, just PM me your email address.

dp7: I've never tried making custom icons, it sounds like fun. Having working in mapping/graphics for a career I think I could come up with something.
Using BC when not "online" indeed works great. I keep the maps in it as up to date as Garmin issues them. That way the trips work out as planned when the GPS units get map updates.

mdka99: If CoPilot RV has a "try for free" version for Windows, I wouldn't mind taking a look at it. I have a couple of 11" windows tablets and a convertible 13" windows laptop I could use.
So you do all your trip planning and routing while "online", then use it offline while travelling, it that correct?

THANKS EVERYONE, for taking the time to respond.
I appreciate it.
Sorry for the long post.
Oh well ... , eveyone stay safe!
O Lloyd
Old 09-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #12

I bought the 760 back in 2013 and have used Basecamp since then too. Although it has a steep learning curve that causes some to give up, after a bit of hair-pulling I got it to do what I wanted.

The gps led me astray a couple of times but they were clearly map errors, nothing wrong with the unit.

Google Maps has been relatively useless and would have been dangerous on some occasions.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #13

MapSource. Predecessor to Basecamp. Anyone remember? I date back to 2007 with Garmin. I’m using a 3597 now. No reason to replace the old timer. When it fails, I’ll be getting the current RV model.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:41 AM   #14

jbh: As I said, my GPSs are not infallible. I've been caught a couple of times, but mostly it was just poor "pre-planning" on my part.
I think google maps has its place and I use it extensively, but not while driving. Given that you can't enter vehicle stats into it, it could prove to be a disaster on some routes.
There is a way though, that you can create a map in google maps and "massage it" to work in your GPS.

bydnar: I loved MapSource and still have it on an old desktop pc somewhere. I was sad when they dropped support for it and resisted Basecamp for some time. Glad I switched now though. I used a nuvi3790 for many years until it wouldn't hold enough data in memory, then I bought the StreetSmart for the toad. I ended up giving the old nuvi to my brother who is still using it.

Thanks folks!
O Lloyd

Tags
gps