Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2022, 11:33 PM   #29
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster
A human driver can anticipate situations...computers generally can't.
"can" being the operative word with a lot of "if"'s thrown in, not "will".

A computer never gets sleepy, gets drunk, looks at a phone, gets distracted by other people, etc. The computer responds to sensor inputs, many of which are better than human sensing, and reacts far faster than a human ever could. That definitely is "anticipating" in my book.

There's a place for both in safety and control systems.

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2022, 05:59 AM   #30

My wife of 49 years just reminded me of the time we were driving up a crushed rock road heading to a public campground on top of a mountain. The grade was so steep our 37 foot motorhome rear drive wheels started to spin bringing us to a dead stop! After a brief discussion we got out and disconnected the car, and drove it around the motorhome where she got in and drove it to the top. Without the cars weight behind the motorhome, I was able to drive the motorhome without any more problems to a absolutely beautiful camping spot with a view to kill for. We woke the next morning to a fresh layer of snow on the ground and a set of paw prints right outside the door of the coach!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Washing Rally Trip 845.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	357154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Washing Rally Trip 856.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	357155  

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:17 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are in the Sierras out here in California, suggest you avoid SR 108... beautiful but nasty:

From Wikipedia:

The highway over the pass is extremely steep (exceeding 8% for most of the traverse, and*up to 26% grades in some locations), narrow and winding between Kennedy Meadows on the west side and Leavitt Meadows on the east.

Location:*Mono*/*Tuolumne*/ Alpine counties,*California,*United States
RajTaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:15 AM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
"can" being the operative word with a lot of "if"'s thrown in, not "will".

A computer never gets sleepy, gets drunk, looks at a phone, gets distracted by other people, etc. The computer responds to sensor inputs, many of which are better than human sensing, and reacts far faster than a human ever could. That definitely is "anticipating" in my book.

There's a place for both in safety and control systems.

Ray
My point Ray, not every motorhome or vehicle towing a trailer has a Tow/Haul mode. Those of us without Tow/Haul mode shouldn't let that fact deter us from enjoying our RVs. We can manage the down grade as well as Tow/Haul mode.

Tow/Haul mode cannot compensate for a, "sleepy, drunk, phone talking distracted driver." Tow/Haul may be able to do most of the work but an alert human is the responsible supervisor. The human can see that a corner is coming up, the grade is getting steeper, etc and must intervene when the Tow/Haul mode can't see these things.

Back to my point, "You don't NEED Tow/Haul mode to enjoy your RV in the mountains."
Old 02-21-2022, 01:57 PM   #33
NXR

Agreed, it's just another tool. The OP has a 2017 motorhome on a Ford chassis so they will likely have Tow/Haul but may not know what it is, what it can do for them, or even that it exists.

Last August I met a new 2021 gasser owner who was complaining about all of the things Tow/Haul can help with. So I asked and he had no idea what I was talking about. We went inside and I showed him the button. He pressed it and the little yellow trailer icon appeared.

He then asked "Why wouldn't the dealer tell me about that?"

I think we all know the answer to that one.

Ray