Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2021, 10:21 AM   #1

Grand Junction Co to Denver Co.

How hard is it going over the Mountains from Grand Junction Co. to Denver Co.?
MONTANA RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2021, 10:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONTANA RED View Post
How hard is it going over the Mountains from Grand Junction Co. to Denver Co.?
Not Very - Beautiful and it's an Interstate - When Leaving Denver I suggest you head to Golden and Take RT 6 out to Idaho Springs, following Clear Creek to I-70 - It's My Welcome to the Rockies - steep canyon walls - tunnels and Clear Creek, so not a steep twisty drive but a nice easy drive that we take on almost everytime we are in Colorado.

If you are headed to Utah, I also suggest you get off at exit 214 to RT 128 that follows the Colorado River to Moab - Beautiful drive you will never forget
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:22 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As Busskipper says, not very hard, but be aware that between Vail, CO and Idaho Springs, CO are 2 passes, Vail Pass and the tunnels. That part of the road has some really rough stretches and grades up to 7%.

If destination is Denver there are not many viable options.

I70 from Grand Junction to Idaho Springs and US 6 from there to Denver is as good as it gets. Be prepared for some spectacular scenery.
Old 06-13-2021, 04:30 PM   #4

Grand Jct to Denver

Grand Junction to Denver is all interstate. Two 7% grades to face but doable if you take your time and take a couple of breaks. Second option with less hill climbs is State highway 50, South Grand Junction, to Montrose, East to Gunnison and onto either Denver or Colorado Springs. It's very doable, less traffic but more two lane roads. The heart of the Rockies!

PS. There is construction where as Hwy 50 is closed both ways for about 5 miles but they open it up for traffic each morning, lunch and evening. We just drove it and it was fine but you have to time it and check the CDOT web site for details.
Sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:29 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivanclan View Post
Grand Junction to Denver is all interstate. Two 7% grades to face but doable if you take your time and take a couple of breaks. Second option with less hill climbs is State highway 50, South Grand Junction, to Montrose, East to Gunnison and onto either Denver or Colorado Springs. It's very doable, less traffic but more two lane roads. The heart of the Rockies!

PS. There is construction where as Hwy 50 is closed both ways for about 5 miles but they open it up for traffic each morning, lunch and evening. We just drove it and it was fine but you have to time it and check the CDOT web site for details.
I live in Colorado Springs and have family in Delta. I have driven the route mentioned above so many times I now sleep the whole way. However, not mentioned is the fact that there are numerous Summits on this route. Many grades in excess of 5% on Cerro Summit and Blue Mesa Summit. Monarch Pass, one of the major passes in Colorado is between Gunnison and Poncha Springs on US 50. It is long, steep and winding with grades exceeding 6% and tops out at over 11,000 ft. There is also Trout Creek Pass and Kenosha Pass both with grades over 5%. It is a lot further to go from Grand Junction to Denver via US50 and US285.

If I wanted to go from Grand Junction to Denver I wouldn't find this route viable. Too far, too many grades, too slow. If I were sight seeing...I might still choose I70 and US6 over US 50 and US 285. I70 and US6 are more scenic drives...however...any route you choose is scenic!
Old 06-13-2021, 11:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivanclan View Post

Good to know Hwy 50 is doable!! Thanks.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:18 AM   #7

We just finished traveling I 70 East from Grand Junction to Denver. Our 37' MH with cat c7 350 with tow dolly handled the climb without a problem. Also handled the down part of the hill.

My only complaint is I70 east is a road in need of repair. It is the roughest road I have driven in a while. It will loosen all the screws, plates, and anything else that not tied down. It really was so bad I could not enjoy the drive.
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote