Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2021, 03:38 PM   #15

We did large chunks of it a few years ago. Not much of it is within sight of the river. It was an interesting ride just the same. Look out for attractions like the John Deere plant.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2021, 05:13 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Attractions and order maps

https://experiencemississippiriver.c...s/#mississippi
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:18 PM   #17

Nomadic Fanatic is a hoot.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:15 PM   #18

Wonderful suggestions given here. Mostly familiar with St Louis and north, both car trips and with the MH. Roads run closer to the river further north. Great river towns and such with rich history. Hannibal MO, Keokuk IA, Nauvoo IL (Mormon settlement), Pikes Peak St Park McGregor IA, Effigy Mounds National Monument, Lansing IA, Stockholm WI plus many, many more and north.
We like County, City and COE campgrounds. Plenty to be had especially in Iowa especially.
Have fun!!!
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:58 PM   #19

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. We've decided to start in New Orleans the last week of April and work our way north on the east side of the river. Not making any reservations for camp sites and just take our time and stop where a location suits us. Hopefully will be back home by the middle of June. Thanks again.
jayhawk117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:59 PM   #20

Keep us updated on how much fun you’re having, safe travels!!
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:39 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
RE: Trip Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk117 View Post
We are thinking about traveling the Mississippi River Road from New Orleans all the way to the headwaters in Minnesota during the month of May. Our concerns have to do with driving a 40 ft motorhome and camping along the way. Are the roads adequate for the motorhome? Will there be available camping locations along the way? We are thinking it will be a slow and leisurely trip for us driving 75-100 miles daily on the average. Anyone have ideas or suggestions?

Your question interests me because we live in Baton Rouge and the idea of following the Mississippi up to Bemidji, Minnesota, sounds intriguing.

You have a 40’ motorhome and do not say if you are towing. I spent 10 years Seeing the USA in a 39’ motorhome, towing a Jeep. I was our planner-navigator and he was our driver. In our 39’ rig, I’ve been to both ends of the Mississippi and many places in between, so I feel comfortable offering advice.

First, take a look at this map of the route, with points of interest along the way https://experiencemississippiriver.c...c-map-2019.pdf

This is not a trip to set off on without serious planning.

Were I planning this trip, I would start with the Rand McNally Road Atlas, Good Sam Edition, US & Canada, which shows you where you can drive safely (like a trucker’s atlas, with safe roads marked) and where RV parks are located along the route. (Available at Camping World, which ships: You have to copy-paste the urls because just clicking on them does not work)
https://www.campingworld.com/rand-mc...da-122466.html

I would also have at hand the RV park info I’d need: 2021 Good Sam Campground & Coupon Guide https://www.campingworld.com/2021-go...de-123301.html

Given these three (map guide and books), I would be able to decide if this idea makes sense for me and mine. If it does, then great! If not, nothing is wasted: Pick somewhere else that’s easier to handle. Both of these books are worth having and the map is free.

My husband and I now have a 34’ gas model and rent a vehicle when we need one.

Looking at this trip you have planned, were I you I would seriously consider re-evaluating.

You are going to need reservations because most folks are stir-crazy and are taking to the roads = lots and lots of RVers. I would plan where I am going to stay and get reservations. We often used our RV as basecamp, leaving it in an RV park adjacent to many things we wanted to see, and doing our exploring in our Jeep. This works great!

Your trip sounds like a lot of fun!
EasyRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:37 AM   #22

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Got the map almost a year ago. Have 4-5 books on traveling the GRR and have added some of their suggestions to our list. Have read and followed several forums and blogs for even more information We also have a list of camping sites, city parks, and other possible over night locations. On past trips we've taken that have been 2000 to 4000 miles in length a daily itinerary were made and unfortunately at times did not allow us to spend the times we would have liked at a number of locations because the schedule did not allow. Part of the excitement for the GRR trip is the chance to take our time, see more, spend more time with the locals, and experience a more relaxed, slow pace. To often on past trips selected sites and activities were not to our expectations and we later hear or saw things that we would have liked to have explored. Hopefully that will not be the case with this trip. Planning to travel 75-100 miles each day should allow for this. With new house batteries, a generator, recently serviced motorhome, and full tank of diesel we're sure that if a camp site isn't available there will be a boondocking location. All in all, we feel that we have considered a lot of the options and possibilities and looking forward to the end of April and getting on the road. Thanks again for your response.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:05 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
RE: Your trip up the Mississippi River

Yes, you've got it covered!!! You are in good shape!

I do hope you will get a guide to truck routes to keep with you in your RV. The Rand McNally Road Atlas, Good Sam Edition, US & Canada from Camping World is better for RVers than the truckers' guide.

If the road is safe for a trucker, it's safe for an RV. This will not protect you from too steep grades or unsafe bridges, but it should keep you from overpasses that are too low for your RV to pass under safely. Yes, you will have planned your route, but if there's a detour, you need to know what's ahead.

As a favor to a good friend who was in charge of planning an RV route from California to Washington, DC, for an official, governmental celebration of Eisenhower's interstate system, like you I ran up against allowing flexibility in reservations. This was a big deal and needed to go off smoothly.

So, putting in extra days in various interesting locations provided the easiest way to ensure the safety of reservations and the flexibility to do everything that was planned, without worrying about being pushed for time.

Wishing you all joy on your travels!
Leslie
EasyRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:22 AM   #24

I did part of this trip from I think it was Fon Du Lac Wisconsin to St. Louis MO about 13 years ago on my motorcycle and the only problem I had was part of the road was closed due to mud slides. Granted I wasn't in an RV but it was a fun trip.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:03 PM   #25

We did that trip from La Crosse Wi down to New Orleans 2 years ago. La Crosse to the Iowa boarder was very scenic, about a 40 mile ride on US-35 along the Mississippi River. Stay on the Wisconsin side the Minnesota side is not as nice. After crossing into Iowa, sights of the river was far and few all the way down to New Orleans. We took the Westside down and the Eastside back home to WI. There are many things to see and visit but the river isn't one of them. We did drive to some scenic overlooks but some of them were a few miles off the main road. The river views are blocked by the man made Levee walls. Have fun, its a great ride.....
Beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:27 PM   #26

Thanks for the info. We're looking forward to it.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:02 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't know too much about the southern end but the northern end is great. We followed the river on several occassions from IL to No. MN. We look for the Army Corp of Eng campgrounds along the river. With our Senior Lifetime pass they are very affordable. Usually clean bathroom/showers and with electricity and water. Take time tosee the sites along the way.
Jpetzrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 04:23 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk117 View Post
Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. We've decided to start in New Orleans the last week of April and work our way north on the east side of the river. Not making any reservations for camp sites and just take our time and stop where a location suits us. Hopefully will be back home by the middle of June. Thanks again.
Did you make the trip. We are headed down from the head waters starting the end of September. Will exit in Mississippi at either Natches or Vicksburg.

Any must see along our path. I have gotten info from each state and the river road commission. But do not want to miss any good things.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote