Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2017, 03:14 PM   #1

Great Smokey Mountains

We are headed from Myrtle Beach west into the Great Smokey Mountains. Questions:
Is march a fairly good time of year
should we enter from the south thru cherokee or go up to gatlinburg
Best campgrounds?
What are the best roads to take for scenery

Thanks
zinadoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2017, 06:51 PM   #2

I can tell you that the KOA in Cherokee is a nice campground, we have camped there for the last 2 years in July and are headed there again this July. It is a beautiful area with a lot to do and see. Gatliburg is just over the mountain but would not recommend taking your camper thur the park because the road has pretty good grades and a lot of curves. Not sure what weather will be in March.
Springdale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Let me start with this. it's Smoky Mountain not Smokey Mountain.
March will be very cool and maybe damp. Altitude and Spring time. The smoky part is moisture wafting of the valleys as the sun warms the ground.
The road from Cherokee to Gatlinburg is very scenic but the driver will never be able to enjoy it as that road is full of switchbacks and some steep grades.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:03 PM   #4

I tend to stay near Cherokee as it's less crowded. If your looking for full hook ups, it should be the Cherokee KOA just north of town. I've used it many times and have enjoyed the hot tub.

Cherokee, North Carolina Campground | Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA

If you don't mind boondocking you should try for Smokemont.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/s...O&parkId=70967

I would also do most of my traveling with the toad as a lot of the roads with not allow larger vehicles. Also some of the roads do not open until mid-March. Some of the day trips would include
the following.

Cherokee to Bryson City to Deep Creek. From the Deep Creek campground you can easily walk to three different waterfalls, Juneywhank Falls, Tom Branch Falls and Indian Creek Falls. One of the starting points for the Smoky Mountain Railway also starts from Deep Creek.

https://www.deepcreekcamping.com/trails.html
Nantahala Gorge Excursion | Great Smoky Mountain Railroad

Cherokee to Blue Ridge Parkway to Heintooga Ridge Road to Balsam Mountain Road. This road ends at the Balsam Mountain Campground. From the campground, a one way gravel road will take you through the mountains and comes out on the road leading to the KOA campground.

Cherokee to Maggie Valley, North on US 276 to forest road entrance to national park, This gravel road with take you Cataloochee.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/cataloochee.htm

For day trips on the north end of the park, you have Roaring Fork Motor Trail just east of Gatlinburg. A nice one way loop road with lots of sights and trails. Cades Cove, west of Gatlinburg, is a very popular drive and also had a nice campground with no hook-ups.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/roaringfork.htm
https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/cadescove.htm

You can spend hours exploring these websites.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/autotouring.htm

Best of luck with your adventures,

Chuck
cavedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:35 AM   #5

I would wait another month as March weather can be very iffy, As for which side, it depends a lot on what you are looking to do. The NC side is growing but much less developed, where as Sevier County TN is a giant tourist mecca. Either side provides good access to the park but the TN side is closer to Cades Cove, if that interest you. If you opt for TN, I would urge you to get there via I-40, as others have said.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote