Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Group trip from San Antonio to Williams, AZ

We have a group trip planned in May to Williams, AZ. Our route will take us through Las Cruces, NM. From there, two routes present themselves; one through Albuquerque and Flagstaff and the other through Phoenix and Flagstaff. We want to stay on the interstates and don't believe weather will be to large a factor at that time of year. The difference in mileage is insignificant as it is so small. Also, we will be traveling in our DP and our traveling companions with a fiver. This will be our first trip into mountainous terrain but hopefully not our last. We will not be doing much sightseeing on the outbound leg as most will be done during our five day stay and the return leg. My question is which route would you take and why?
Txcirclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Either way you are on Interstates. No bad grades up or down not much to see either way. I would probably go ABQ for a little less freeway and traffic through urban area than going through PHX.
Just my opinion; other opinions may vary
Hacienda RV Resort in Las Cuces is one of our regular stops going or coming from out west. La Posta de Mesilla just south of Hacienda in Old Mesilla is great New Mexican food.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #3

We travelled from San Antonio to Williams 2 years ago, all road were in good shape.
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have been both ways and I would rather take the Albuquerque route.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #5

Why not go one way, return the other ????
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:31 PM   #6

I would avoid Phoenix if at all possible. Or mid day only if not.
keepmovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm going to tell you right now, take 10.

I40 sucks! Crummy crummy crummy road surface and the downgrade past flagstaff is awful ! Terrible road surface, small lanes, heavy traffic, crummy drive.

That all being said, albuquerque us a beautiful city! Sandra peak is a must. Kingman Arizona is also beautiful, but I'm not sure i40 is worth it
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
And whatever you do, don't drive through Clovis nm, unless you like to "off-road " at 10mph
Old 02-14-2014, 10:41 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepmovin View Post
I would avoid Phoenix if at all possible. Or mid day only if not.
Totally disagree, we passed through Phoenix in 30 minutes flat with no issue on I 10, and headed back to Phoenix again tomorrow for a show.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I'm going to tell you right now, take 10.

I40 sucks! Crummy crummy crummy road surface and the downgrade past flagstaff is awful ! Terrible road surface, small lanes, heavy traffic, crummy drive.

That all being said, albuquerque us a beautiful city! Sandra peak is a must. Kingman Arizona is also beautiful, but I'm not sure i40 is worth it
Three weeks ago, on a trip from Fresno CA to Phoenix, I went through Los Angeles on 210 to avoid the bad road surface on 40.

I came back on 40 to avoid the high wind in Palm Springs area and guess what.
They have resurfaced 40 in the past month. The worst section of road in the country was about 20 miles long by Newberry Springs, just east of Barstow, and it is now like new.

I think I'd avoid Phoenix. I went through L.A. at 3 pm one day and Phoenix at 3 pm the next day. Phoenix was stop and go. L.A. was 65 mph on all six lanes.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:56 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Three weeks ago, on a trip from Fresno CA to Phoenix, I went through Los Angeles on 210 to avoid the bad road surface on 40.

I came back on 40 to avoid the high wind in Palm Springs area and guess what.
They have resurfaced 40 in the past month. The worst section of road in the country was about 20 miles long by Newberry Springs, just east of Barstow, and it is now like new.

I think I'd avoid Phoenix. I went through L.A. at 3 pm one day and Phoenix at 3 pm the next day. Phoenix was stop and go. L.A. was 65 mph on all six lanes.
Agreed, I just took 40 all the way from Texas to Bakersfield where I hit I 5 to San Fran and around Barstow was smooth.... In California ... Still don't understand the issue with Phoenix, it was smooth sailing through ther on the return trip on 10. We hooked down through San Bernardino to 10 and straight home to houston. We passed through Phoenix Wednesday around 1pm and it was vacant.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #12

Unless you have a good reason to go to Phoenix, and up to Flagstaff, I would go to Las Cruces and up I 25, so much to see and do, white sands, giant pistachio, wineries, then Albuquerque, and the pictographs, on to Grant and Gallup. Side trips to inspiration rock, ice caves, ElMoro, dormant volcanoes, etc... On to Flagstaff. If you do this both ways, if you miss something going, see it on the return. Hwy 40 is not bad. And so much to see and do...!!!
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Agreed, I just took 40 all the way from Texas to Bakersfield where I hit I 5 to San Fran and around Barstow was smooth.... In California ... Still don't understand the issue with Phoenix, it was smooth sailing through ther on the return trip on 10. We hooked down through San Bernardino to 10 and straight home to houston. We passed through Phoenix Wednesday around 1pm and it was vacant.
We were closer to rush hour 3 to 4 pm when in Phoenix.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
We were closer to rush hour 3 to 4 pm when in Phoenix.
Yeah I hear ya, i guess any big city could stink at the time.... I won't cross houston unless it's exactly 10:15 am haha