Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2022, 06:53 PM   #1

Gunnison, CO - Palisades Senior vs. Gunnison KOA

Any opinions on the Gunnison KOA vs. the Palisades Senior park up in Gunnison, CO? We need to book one of the other and they both have equally good reviews.

Thanks
Keith & Teresa
2017 Forest River Berkshire
KeithQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2022, 07:00 PM   #2

I can only comment on the KOA. It is an excellent place to stay.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithQ View Post
Any opinions on the Gunnison KOA vs. the Palisades Senior park up in Gunnison, CO?

Two completely different experiences. Palisades is for seniors. KOA's are for kids.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:47 AM   #4

Good point. Maybe the Palisades then. It also looks to be almost in town.

Thanks
KeithQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 11:00 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keith,
Do a "Google Earth" overhead view of these 2 campgrounds, to see where they are and what is around them. KOA's are usually more expensive.

Mike in Colorado
Old 05-27-2022, 11:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithQ View Post
Any opinions on the Gunnison KOA vs. the Palisades Senior park up in Gunnison, CO? We need to book one of the other and they both have equally good reviews.
I've stayed at both, but without knowing what you want in a campground, it's hard to answer.

The only real difference I noticed was that Palisades is more of a dirt lot with hookups, while the KOA is more like a traditional campground, with grass pretty much everywhere except the roads. It also had a couple of mules or donkeys or something wandering around.

I avoid kids when I can, and didn't notice them at the KOA, but I was there midweek in September, when they would have been in school. At Palisades, it seemed like a lot of the people knew each other, like they were seasonals, maybe. It definitely had a "senior" vibe.

Palisades is a little closer to downtown than the KOA, but if you're driving, the difference isn't significant. And I'm not sure I'd walk from Palisades--Gunnison isn't big on sidewalks, and the part on Tomichi Avenue you'd have to walk isn't neighborhood-y; it's more like a country road where you walk on the shoulder, which I don't love.

I really don't know which one I'd choose to stay at the next time I'm there.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:06 PM   #7

Most of the people at Palisades have been coming for years. All gravel except the grass between lots. Very clean and well managed. Always something going on.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 11:51 PM   #8

I don't know if they changed the problems with their animals but here is one review which is interesting: "Not necessarily a bad campground. Good area and nice folks running it. Grass was plentiful and gravel roads were adequate. WiFi worked well. The only strange thing I can say is the animals who roam the park at will. We saw a donkey, goats and other critters who were pleasant enough to be around but seemed unrestrained. The problem this causes is the poop that seems to be everywhere in the grass. These are grazing animals and take a dump anywhere they are standing. To make it worse the rules stated in the handout say "no carpet or mats allowed in the grass." They protect and mow the grass often so anything laying on it will kill it out. Without a mat to wipe your feet the poop gets drug into the RV! Also there was a VERY large hog laying in the playground area under the swings. Children could not use the swings or other devices. Again...not necessarily a bad park but very strange with unrestrained animals everywhere. We camped at Gunnison KOA Journey in a Fifth Wheel".
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:10 PM   #9

Stayed at the KOA many times and just booked a week this Summer. love parking the rig on nice grass. No issues with poop and i really dont remember many kids. There are really not a lot of things for them to do like at your regular KOA. They used to have a cool cow, Norman. Also, easy walk to the river.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote