Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #1

Half Moon Bay to Santa Barbara

We will be doing Half Moon Bay to Santa Barbara the first 3 weeks of October. Looking for input on where to stay and what to do. Any help appreciated! Pulling a trailer - not resort types.
cpd520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Im not sure on places to stay but some great places to check out are Hearst Castle in San Simeon and Solvang, CA. Or might want to consider stopping at the missions along the way (the California mission trail) Santa Barbara is the 10th mission if I remember correctly.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #3

I would not dream of taking a large MH much less tow a travel trailer down Hwy 1 between Carmel and San Simeon. Better to cut over to Hwy 101 from Monterey and cut back at Paso Robles.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #4

I agree with elkhornsun about Hwy1. North of Santa Barbara at the north side of Goleta is El Capitan State Beach. We will be staying there the first couple of weeks of December because they can handle our 40' rig. There are lots of other state beach camping along the coast down there that could handle your trailer depending on its length.
CasaLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #5

hwy 1

i'm going to be heading no. from los angeles up the coast and i saw the above posts. if you would please explain why you wouldn't use hwy 1 between san simeon to carmel. thanks for your input
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #6

I would not worry about driving that road. I have done many, many times in my MH and towing. There are some spots where you take your time, but it is a beautiful drive and you don't want to miss. By the way, there is a nice campground at Laguna Seca Raceway. If it is not a big race weekend, that is a great place to stay. Lots of the sites are on the tops of the hills with nice views. Good base camp for Monterey, Carmel, etc.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer1 View Post
i'm going to be heading no. from los angeles up the coast and i saw the above posts. if you would please explain why you wouldn't use hwy 1 between san simeon to carmel. thanks for your input
Actually, looking at Google Earth, I take back what I said about driving Hwy 1. It could be a bit arduous in places for big rigs like ours at 40' plus a toad, but overall it is a standard width road throughout. One must always check for reports of road wash-outs that haven't yet been repaired, but I think the last wash out was in 2006 near Half Moon Bay. That was repaired and reopened by August of that same year.

Happy traveling!
CasaLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Google hwy 1 delays. It's a constant construction zone.

Mike