RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #1

Hardin MT TO Mount Rushmore

I always check our planned routes using the mountain guides, but apparently they don’t cover this area of the country.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best route(s) to take (or roads to avoid) in this area? We will be visiting the little big horn battlefield, deadwood, sturgis, crazy horse and Mount Rushmore. We’re basing for those visits in Devils Tower and Mount Rushmore.

Thanks in advance for your help

MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
There is an RV CG in Harden. We have stayed there a couple of times. Basically a place to overnight but they did have FHU.
Not a good idea to bring a bog rig into the parking area at the Custer Battlefield if you are towing. You might end up disconnecting in order to turn around. I could not get in last time we were there. Very interesting place to visit and the museum is quite interesting.
There is a KOA near Devil's Tower and also a govt CG at the tower. Not sure if there is hookups there or not. From there to Sundance through the country is a great ride to see the countryside.
Just east on I-90 is Sturgis. Small town with a lot tee shirt shops and such but it does not come alive until about 3/4 million bikers show up for the rally.
The City of Spearfish has become a real city. Lots of things to do. There is a city park there with FHU and there is (I believe) wifi. The creek from Spearfish Canyon runs through the park. If you head south up the canyon you will have some curves and a couple of steep climbs, but nothing that is severe. Lots of waterfalls in the spring from melt. A great ride (I think it is route 14A) to Lead. They had a gold mine that was a mountain and is now a huge hole in the ground. Some sort of govt operations going on there now.
Just up the road is Deadwood. We were through there several times but never got out to check it out. I like to keep my money. The town is built in a gulch and the streets are narrow and crowded.

There are RV parks and campgrounds throughout the Black Hills. Some are big and others are just a few sites and some guy's homestead. I cannot make a recommendation in the Deadwood area.
There is a RV park at Crazy Horse. No shade but adequate at best. Several in the City of Custer area. Some pretty nice.

doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:10 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi,

You don't provide very much information that would help us advise you. I am presuming that you are towing a car so my suggestions are based on you doing most of the driving in the area in a car.

You can traverse any of the US highways, Wyoming and South Dakota state highways in your motorhome towing a car. Just pick you destination and go. I would and have driven most of these highways in my 34' MH towing a jeep. No problems.

You indicate that you intend to base camp at Devil's Tower and at Deadwood. Might I suggest that you alter that plan just a little bit. Devil's Tower is not to be missed if you are close but it is essentially a one day event.

Many of the most interesting parts of the Black Hills are in the central and southern part. To name a few, Crazy Horse Monument, Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park, Wind Cave and Jewel Cave national parks, archaeological dig in Hot Springs, SD and many more.

If those things interest you then consider staying somewhere near Deadwood so you can visit Sturgis and other points on the northern end of the Black Hills the take US385 from Deadwood to Custer and find an RV park there to base out of for touring the rest of the area in your car.

This is a great destination area. Enjoy.
yeloduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
I always check our planned routes using the mountain guides, but apparently they don’t cover this area of the country.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best route(s) to take (or roads to avoid) in this area? We will be visiting the little big horn battlefield, deadwood, sturgis, crazy horse and Mount Rushmore. We’re basing for those visits in Devils Tower and Mount Rushmore.

Thanks in advance for your help
We stayed at 7th Ranch to visit Little Big Horn; nice place; recommended.

We stayed at Hartland RV Park in Hermosa, SD and visited Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Deadwood, Badlands, and Wall from there. As I recall, all were easy drives.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:11 AM   #5

Thanks for the info, we have made reservations at the Devils Tower KOA and Mount Rushmore KOA.

Are there any issues with any of the roads between the two for our 38’ MH towing a Jeep?
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote