Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2019, 07:45 AM   #1

Hartford to Phoenix - Best Winter Route?

Hi friends, I'm looking for some advice regarding an upcoming journey. We are planning to leave the Hartford, Connecticut area on 12/22 and head to Phoenix, Arizona. We have a GMC Sierra 3500HD 4WD Crew Cab Dually Diesel pulling our Heartland Cyclone 4200 44' 5th Wheel Toy Hauler. Obviously, we would like to avoid ice and heavy snow. Any recommendations on the route we should take would be appreciated.
BikesAndGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

I would carefully watch the weather. Be prepared to stop for a few days to let the weather clear. You also should head south as fast as possible since many northern campgrounds are closed for the season.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesandGuns View Post
Hi friends, I'm looking for some advice regarding an upcoming journey. We are planning to leave the Hartford, Connecticut area on 12/22 and head to Phoenix, Arizona. We have a GMC Sierra 3500HD 4WD Crew Cab Dually Diesel pulling our Heartland Cyclone 4200 44' 5th Wheel Toy Hauler. Obviously, we would like to avoid ice and heavy snow. Any recommendations on the route we should take would be appreciated.
I-10 is your best bet for avoiding ice and snow. get as far south as fast as you can and head west on I-10. that's our plan when we head to Mesa later this winter.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:31 PM   #4

I agree... get down to I-10 and head West.

Wow! You have a long drive ahead of you.... have a safe one!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:43 AM   #5

BikesandGuns-

Route we have used:

84 west to Newburgh, NY
87 south to Somerville, NJ
202 west to Ringoes, NJ
31 south to Ewing, NJ
295 south to Delaware Memorial Bridge
95 south to Florida
10 west to Arizona

The most-northern year-round campground is in Florida, NY (Black Bear Campground). The next one is the KOA in Clarksboro, NJ. Cherry Hill RV Park in College Park, MD, is open in the Washington, D.C. area.

Your rig is bigger than ours, so you will want to review the 202-31 route, as it's the only part off the main drag.

It's best to transit the D.C. area on a weekend. If you can't, then midnight is second-best, followed by midday. The beltways east around Baltimore and D.C. are better bets on weekdays. The Baltimore east beltway takes you over a modern but high bridge, so I'd consider wind conditions before taking that route.

Plenty of folks avoid I-95 by the western route (81 south in PA followed by a host of options from there to I-95). I, though, would be concerned about driving anywhere near the mountains in Winter. To each his own.

The week between Christmas and New Year's everyone is on the road headed south. Expect traffic in the two-lane portions of I-95. Campgrounds will be busy, too.

I suggest you wait until you are south of MD/VA before dewinterizing.

We try to travel 250 miles a day, which for us would take 16 days to get to Arizona. That's without layovers. As it was, it took us five weeks to get there (with sightseeing) and three weeks to get home.

Enjoy Phoenix. We stayed in Tonopah (30 miles west of Phoenix) for a month, then wandered through Lake Havasu, Cottonwood and the Grand Canyon before heading for home.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:24 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
84 to 80 to 40 to 20 to 10 is easiest but there are more sightful routes
Old 12-06-2019, 04:52 AM   #7

Great advice. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2019, 04:53 AM   #8

Thank you!

Tags
ford, route, winter