Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #1

Has anyone traveled US 31?

Specifically US 31 from Indianapolis north into Michigan. Wondering what the road condition is., whether or not it is fairly fast moving. ei not too many towns. We appreciate any input. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Parts of it in MI are X-way and when you get North it isn't. 70 MPH on X-way and 55 MPH on all others. The traffic moves well in the North until Petoskey,MI then it gets pretty tight, road full of Fudgies. Fudgies is our term for tourists and it relates to all the fudge shops in Mackinaw City and on Mackinaw Island. Basic easy drive, except Petoskey.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We travel portions of 31 up around Luddington MI north towards Traverse City but then we jumped over to Boyne City. From what I recall it is mostly 55 mph but there are towns that will slow you down. We weren't in a hurry so it didn't bother us.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #4

Has anyone traveled US 31?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventer48 View Post
Specifically US 31 from Indianapolis north into Michigan. Wondering what the road condition is., whether or not it is fairly fast moving. ei not too many towns. We appreciate any input. Thanks!

Thanks for asking the question. We will be heading up this way on our maiden voyage in the new coach. Won't be in a hurry. Wasn't sure about traffic. Not sure about travel over the Mackinaw Bridge in a coach. Plan on making camp the first night out on on side of the bridge or the other. Haven't decided that yet either.

Love the comment and explanation about Fudgies. We live in San Diego. Have a similar term, Zonies, for those that leave Arizona in the summer to visit our town. We go to Tucson a couple times a year (only between November and April). I am fairly certain there is a term of endearment for us as well 😎. Oh well...it is good for local economies to have us Fudgies, Zonies, snowbirds, etc.

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636 (in production), Cummins ISB,
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Thanks for asking the question. We will be heading up this way on our maiden voyage in the new coach. Won't be in a hurry. Wasn't sure about traffic. Not sure about travel over the Mackinaw Bridge in a coach. Plan on making camp the first night out on on side of the bridge or the other. Haven't decided that yet either.

Love the comment and explanation about Fudgies. We live in San Diego. Have a similar term, Zonies, for those that leave Arizona in the summer to visit our town. We go to Tucson a couple times a year (only between November and April). I am fairly certain there is a term of endearment for us as well 😎. Oh well...it is good for local economies to have us Fudgies, Zonies, snowbirds, etc.

I live in Northern MI and winter in TX and AZ. In TX I am a winter Texan in AZ I am a snowbird. We enjoy it all. There are more campgrounds, including state parks, just South of the Big Mac. Crossing the bridge is easy. Always some lane restrictions for maint. in the summer but well marked. The speed limit on the bridge is 45 MPH unless a big wind is blowing. If they have restrictions up for wind you should wait a day. I have crossed the bridge many times and it is not fun in the wind. Wind speed below 15 or 20 MPH is do able.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #6

Thanks T55watson.

HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:45 PM   #7

I am actually more interested in the route north from Indianapolis to Michigan border. We are familiar with the MI portion. Only going as far as Ludington, this year!
Old 06-21-2015, 09:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have gone from indianapolis to south bend several times in the last year and I thought it was pretty good not many stops or towns. The best things is they put a limited access bypass around Kokomo. they are working on the road north of Indianapolis to make it like an interstate
Old 06-21-2015, 09:12 PM   #9

I live in Holland MI and have taken 31 to and from Indianapolis many times. I would avoid it as there are many towns and lights. Lower speed limits. I recommend I65 to I94 to I196 north reconnect with 31 near Holland MI. However if you are traveling at peak travel times I65 is packed with trucks and heavy traffic the further you get north and I would not recommend it on weekends. 31 is shorter and there would be a significant fuel savings going that way but the wear and tear will be higher with the stop and go. The speed limits on 31 in Indiana
are strictly enforced and I would hesitate to exceed them especially in the towns. I guess it is kind of a toss up but I would travel either way late to avoid traffic as much as possible. Good luck and safe travels.

2003 Georgie Boy Cruisemaster-F53 Chassis towing 1998 Tracker
Myssdragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:54 AM   #10

I am only familiar with a short section of 31 from Indiana 32 at Westfield north to where I turn off toward Atlanta Indiana. The speed limits are as said strictly enforced along this stretch so be aware. This is also some where you don't want to be during rush hour. There is construction going on and a one lane from 32 north to about Bakers Corner that I would avoid if possible. I went through that section on May 30 in a pick-up. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventer48 View Post
I am actually more interested in the route north from Indianapolis to Michigan border. We are familiar with the MI portion. Only going as far as Ludington, this year!

Indy to Michigan has just been redone in the last couple years. The section at Kokomo now has a bypass around downtown. So no stop and go in Kokomo anymore.

So lots better than it used to be.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:50 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssdragn View Post
I live in Holland MI and have taken 31 to and from Indianapolis many times. I would avoid it as there are many towns and lights. Lower speed limits.
I guess it is kind of a toss up but I would travel either way late to avoid traffic as much as possible. Good luck and safe travels.
Guessing you haven't traveled on it since the new bypass at Kokomo and the new section North of Plymouth to South Bend that bypass a few small towns that it didn't before the last year or two.

It is a 4 lane road from Indy to MI. line. Not worth driving way out of the way on Interstates that will add many miles and use more fuel/time to get there.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Guessing you haven't traveled on it since the new bypass at Kokomo and the new section North of Plymouth to South Bend that bypass a few small towns that it didn't before the last year or two.

It is a 4 lane road from Indy to MI. line. Not worth driving way out of the way on Interstates that will add many miles and use more fuel/time to get there.

That's true. It's been a few years.

2003 Georgie Boy Cruisemaster-F53 Chassis towing 1998 Tracker
Myssdragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #14

Thanks, everyone,
for your input. Sounds like we will try it.

Tags
led, travel