Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2017, 08:25 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Headed Illinois->West Yellowstone couple weeks

So we're headed to West Yellowstone in a couple weeks. We've decided on a round trip with the return coming back East via Southern Montana. We want to do this to see Mt Rushmore, Custers, Devils Tower, etc.
Right now I'm looking at taking I80 West to 191 N in Montana and work my way up to the KOA outside the West entrance. I've got my Mountain Directory West book in hand looking at the grades and such.
From you seasoned YS / mountain travelers, do you have any recommendations on routes. Gotta say I'm a little apprehensive about the mountain passes but excited about going. I know the 1700-1900 RPM rules and gear-up mtn =gear-down mtn rules. Just trying to prep myself as this is our first time that far West.
Thanks in advance for any travel advice.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2017, 05:36 AM   #2
WDW

Headed Illinois->West Yellowstone couple weeks

191 is a nice road into the Tetons. The south entrance into Yellowstone is somewhat narrow and lacking guide rails and have some scary scenic views. NPS roads are marginal in some spaces for big vehicles. It's a nationwide problem because they weren't built for the explosion of visitors and oversized RVs on the roads today. When you go north out of Yellowstone to Bozeman Montana it's a nice road, narrows a little bit at the upper end. Just go slow.

As far as the west Yellowstone goes, certainly we like some KOA's but we would suggest you consider Grizzly RV. You won't be disappointed. Stock up in Cheyenne or Rock Springs at Walmart. Prices go up and selection goes down as you get closer to the parks.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We just did 191 in June and it is a very good road. The first half from I80 is a little dry and boring, but nice roads, very little traffic and several neat small towns. The second half is very beautiful! It runs along the river bed within the mountain ranges.

I also recommend Grizzly RV Park, it's 1st rate.

Jim
Old 08-29-2017, 07:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
So we're headed to West Yellowstone in a couple weeks. We've decided on a round trip with the return coming back East via Southern Montana. We want to do this to see Mt Rushmore, Custers, Devils Tower, etc.
Right now I'm looking at taking I80 West to 191 N in Montana and work my way up to the KOA outside the West entrance. I've got my Mountain Directory West book in hand looking at the grades and such.
From you seasoned YS / mountain travelers, do you have any recommendations on routes. Gotta say I'm a little apprehensive about the mountain passes but excited about going. I know the 1700-1900 RPM rules and gear-up mtn =gear-down mtn rules. Just trying to prep myself as this is our first time that far West.
Thanks in advance for any travel advice.
When I look at your Destinations this Route comes to mind - https://binged.it/2x0vgag

When heading West we have enjoyed RT 36 and we usually pick it up in Hannibal, which is just down the Road - non Interstate - Less Traffic Good Road - Fewer Trucks.......

Then if I were headed to Custer/Rushmore i'd follow the River, we sort of enjoy the water and the Possible Sunsets along this route. It Misses Sioux Falls but you could make that a way point if you needed.

Through the BadLands and into Custer - Over the Big Horns on RT 16 (easy) into Cody then straight through the Park to West Yellowstone - IMHO this just lets you see and enjoy more of what you are driving to see - gets you of some of the Interstates and is just more FUN.

Then south on through the Tetons/Jackson to Colorado and back Home..........that's a whole new map and a lot more adventure.

Hope this helps,

And they have had snow at the higher elevations so be sure to keep your fuel and Propane FULL,

https://www.nps.gov/features/yell/we...Streaming.html

http://webcams.goldenwest.net/custer/
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all the ideas. Busskipper, we'll be doing several of those routes and stops on the return. Right now, unless we deviate which always seems to work it's way in our plans, it's 36W->I29N->I80W->191 to work our way up the west side of MT to West Yellowstone. Excited!!
Old 09-03-2017, 05:32 PM   #6

Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone is a favorite of ours also. Cody's museums are a must! Enjoy your travels. We are heading to Vermont from Prescott, AZ in a couple days.
kbiladeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:34 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I did check with Grizzly. They had some openings, but not for 11days. Will have to catch them next round.

Tags
yellowstone