Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2018, 09:34 AM   #1

Heading from fort Meyers up east coast to the Midwest .

Early April heading back up ( in our 36’ Fleetwood bounder) from fort Meyers fl to ( of course) Disney’s wilderness for a couple of days and then St Augustine fl.
We would like to then head up the east coast, see coastal towns as well as see some of the andirondacks. Up into the civil war battlefields of Virginia and then around Gettysburg. ( Washington DC?) Back west after that to our old home town, the suburbs of Chicago then Home to Door county wisconsin.

Places to see, places besides koa’s( like state or national parks to stay at) along the way back up to stay at...
Time not too much of an issue.
Thanks in advance.
mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here are some ideas -

Start with Charleston - Ft. Sumter - several campgrounds in the area. I will be at the KOA in Easter but friends found this one and it looks nice and full hook ups for a county park - James Island County Park

Then go up Rt. 17 - perhaps stop at Myrtle Beach loads of large RV parks reasonably priced. Then up through NC look for KINSTON where they have the CSS Neuse (CSA Ironclad) remnants out side of town and in town the museum. I stayed in New Bern which is where Pepsi was invented. Then next to Atlantic Beach for Civil War Fort Macon and the NC Aquarium. From there head over to Cedar Island and take the ferry to the outer banks. The only ferry you need reservations and pay for is the Cedar Island ferry the other island to island ferries are free. Haven't stayed there but there is an RV park at the ferry on Cedar Island. Then up the outer banks. We went one Easter break and no traffic and the campground we stayed (Frisco Woods Campground) was virtually empty. There are plenty of campgrounds in Cape Hatteras National Seashore that would probably be empty then. Took in the lighthouse and then stayed in Kitty Hawk, and visited the Roanoke Island site and the Wright Brothers National Memorial. Stayed at the Kitty Hawk RV Park - seemed to be mostly full timers but at the beach end they had about 15 spaces they rented daily for $40. You can look out your window and see the beach. From there we went up to Newport News and visited the Mariner's Museum and saw the pieces of the USS Monitor they brought up from the sea. Lots to see at the museum.

From Newport News you can just about go anywhere. Perhaps go up the eastern shore via Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel you have Chincoteaque National Seashore and Wallops Island NASA Center to visit. We did Chincoteaque in October it was nice but pricey for the time of the year. Then across Maryland Rt. 50 to DC. the campground for DC is Cherry Hill Park in College Park, MD passed it a few times but haven't stopped there yet. DC Public transportation stops there take a bus route to the Metro and the Metro to downtown. From there take I-66 (to I-81) where you pass the Manassas Battlefield take I-81 North. Then cut off I-81 so you can visit Harper's Ferry and Antietam Battlefields from there go to Gettysburg. Been there on a car trip not an RV but there are quite a few campgrounds around there. Next head to Harrisburg and visit the National Civil War Museum. It is affiliated with the Smithsonian Museum. Visited last fall and it has a nice collection. We stayed at Western Village Campground in Carlisle PA when we did Harrisburg. Heading back about an hour West of Harrisburg on the PA Tpke. Look for the Flight 93 National Memorial it is a few minutes off the Turnpike but well worth the stop.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmat View Post
Here are some ideas -

Start with Charleston - Ft. Sumter - several campgrounds in the area. I will be at the KOA in Easter but friends found this one and it looks nice and full hook ups for a county park - James Island County Park

Then go up Rt. 17 - perhaps stop at Myrtle Beach loads of large RV parks reasonably priced. Then up through NC look for KINSTON where they have the CSS Neuse (CSA Ironclad) remnants out side of town and in town the museum. I stayed in New Bern which is where Pepsi was invented. Then next to Atlantic Beach for Civil War Fort Macon and the NC Aquarium. From there head over to Cedar Island and take the ferry to the outer banks. The only ferry you need reservations and pay for is the Cedar Island ferry the other island to island ferries are free. Haven't stayed there but there is an RV park at the ferry on Cedar Island. Then up the outer banks. We went one Easter break and no traffic and the campground we stayed (Frisco Woods Campground) was virtually empty. There are plenty of campgrounds in Cape Hatteras National Seashore that would probably be empty then. Took in the lighthouse and then stayed in Kitty Hawk, and visited the Roanoke Island site and the Wright Brothers National Memorial. Stayed at the Kitty Hawk RV Park - seemed to be mostly full timers but at the beach end they had about 15 spaces they rented daily for $40. You can look out your window and see the beach. From there we went up to Newport News and visited the Mariner's Museum and saw the pieces of the USS Monitor they brought up from the sea. Lots to see at the museum.

From Newport News you can just about go anywhere. Perhaps go up the eastern shore via Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel you have Chincoteaque National Seashore and Wallops Island NASA Center to visit. We did Chincoteaque in October it was nice but pricey for the time of the year. Then across Maryland Rt. 50 to DC. the campground for DC is Cherry Hill Park in College Park, MD passed it a few times but haven't stopped there yet. DC Public transportation stops there take a bus route to the Metro and the Metro to downtown. From there take I-66 (to I-81) where you pass the Manassas Battlefield take I-81 North. Then cut off I-81 so you can visit Harper's Ferry and Antietam Battlefields from there go to Gettysburg. Been there on a car trip not an RV but there are quite a few campgrounds around there. Next head to Harrisburg and visit the National Civil War Museum. It is affiliated with the Smithsonian Museum. Visited last fall and it has a nice collection. We stayed at Western Village Campground in Carlisle PA when we did Harrisburg. Heading back about an hour West of Harrisburg on the PA Tpke. Look for the Flight 93 National Memorial it is a few minutes off the Turnpike but well worth the stop.
Very very nice itinerary , thanks! Jim
mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast